Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2012, 02:12 AM   #361
jetjackson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
I guess the gripe with the price on the tank is that it cant accurately reflect the cost of producing the tank and there are no other options to increase tank size on the front of the bike if you ride an F650GS or an F800GS. Nobody likes it when a company takes advantage of a monopoly situation but you can't exactly blame them either - they did take the initiative to make a larger tank when nobody else will.
jetjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:22 AM   #362
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,921
Yeah, 2K and I would pay that to get 40 litres on my Tenere.

Same deal on the KTM 990 and worth every penny
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #363
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams View Post
THERE ARE TOO MANY WORDS IN THIS THREAD..... MORE PICS PLEASE..... F8GS with big tanks....

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #364
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000

Old 02-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #365
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 857
Finn, I can't decide if your handlebar is growing tumors, or if your bike was cross-bred with a lime tree... What's going on there?

But as always, it's a beauty!
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #366
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrophobe View Post
Finn, I can't decide if your handlebar is growing tumors, or if your bike was cross-bred with a lime tree... What's going on there?

But as always, it's a beauty!
If I am not mistaken... Finn please correct me.... But I BELIEVE that is the duck charm that kept Finn alive when is fender broke and snagged....?

Motorfiets screwed with this post 02-21-2012 at 07:49 PM
Motorfiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #367
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,094

This little bastard?

He's seen it all..... learned long ago to keep his little yellow mouth shut, just hang on and enjoy the ride!
Didn't even help me push after I ran out of gas once, as why I bought the TT tank.... ungrateful bastard for all the places I've shown him.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #368
OZZY-GS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
I am looking at pulling the Trigger on the TT Tank.
I currently have the Adventure tank mounted on the rear of my bike and plumbed into the vent line.
The only problem I have encountered is that when packing for a long trip it really screws up your packing room oh yeah and it doesn't hold enough fuel.

My Question re the TT Tank is can it be successfully plumbed into the vent line of the main tank. I seem to recall reading on here someone was going to try and see how it went. Cant seem to find it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Old 12-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #369
Ratchdaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astolfo View Post
ARE YOU SERIOUS! 200miles! no way maybe 150 if I ride down-wind and down hill!
No way on the 200 mile range if you are riding I-10 in Texas with the 85mph speed limit riding eastward against the wind and loaded up for a 2 week trip. I was happy to get mpg in the high 30's.
1977 Condor
1987 Honda Spree
Ratchdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #370
Bill the Duck
Unwitting Accomplice

Oddometer: 10,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZZY-GS View Post
I am looking at pulling the Trigger on the TT Tank.
I currently have the Adventure tank mounted on the rear of my bike and plumbed into the vent line.
The only problem I have encountered is that when packing for a long trip it really screws up your packing room oh yeah and it doesn't hold enough fuel.

My Question re the TT Tank is can it be successfully plumbed into the vent line of the main tank. I seem to recall reading on here someone was going to try and see how it went. Cant seem to find it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
The TT instructions actually have you connect the vents via a really long length of fuel hose. Goes from the main tank vent, around the back end of the bike under the seat, forward to the cockpit, then up and over the gauges and back toward the charcoal canister. Works for me, and I leave the petcocks open all the time. I generally plan on 320 miles between fill-ups, more heading home from the Colorado Plateau, less heading east through TX into the wind. (True story. )

Note: The local dealer installed the tank for me and dicked up the vent lines. I had gas fumes in the garage for months until I decided to replumb it myself, making sure the check valve was put in properly. They had used a non-standard vent hose routing, and it had even gotten eaten by the chain a bit.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #371
OZZY-GS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
So are you saying you don't tap into the existing tank you only hook the main fuel line from the TT tank to the original
tank vent line? Then just vent the TT tank over the handlebars ! Is this correct? Cheers
Old 12-04-2012, 02:28 AM   #372
Sohere
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZZY-GS View Post
So are you saying you don't tap into the existing tank you only hook the main fuel line from the TT tank to the original
tank vent line? Then just vent the TT tank over the handlebars ! Is this correct? Cheers
Grandru did the same with his TT tank and it works great! Best solution imo, no drilling in the original tank and you can leave the petcocks open all the time.

I've tried the same with my tt tank but apparently my original tanks doesn't get vaccuum anymore.
Valve of the original tank vent line was stuck, so the tank got air from somewhere else ... I checked and it's not the fuel cap, so it should be the fuel pump?
Sohere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:36 AM   #373
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohere View Post
Grandru did the same with his TT tank and it works great! Best solution imo, no drilling in the original tank and you can leave the petcocks open all the time.

I've tried the same with my tt tank but apparently my original tanks doesn't get vaccuum anymore.
Valve of the original tank vent line was stuck, so the tank got air from somewhere else ... I checked and it's not the fuel cap, so it should be the fuel pump?
Your correct, there is no vent in the cap. To troubleshoot, you have to remove the stock plastic around the tank filler. First remove the seat to gain access. Then the line that goes back under there, has the little check valve with the arrow on it. That goes all the way to the Carbon Canister, and then subsequently to the intake manifold. How have you determine that that that vent is not working any more..???? It is very important that it does, as the tank needs to vent either way, specially as fuel is burned. If in doubt, just remove the little valve. It is superficial.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:31 AM   #374
Sohere
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Your correct, there is no vent in the cap. To troubleshoot, you have to remove the stock plastic around the tank filler. First remove the seat to gain access. Then the line that goes back under there, has the little check valve with the arrow on it. That goes all the way to the Carbon Canister, and then subsequently to the intake manifold. How have you determine that that that vent is not working any more..???? It is very important that it does, as the tank needs to vent either way, specially as fuel is burned. If in doubt, just remove the little valve. It is superficial.
I checked and the valve didn't work anymore so I removed it.

If the original tank couldn't get air, because the valve wasn't working anymore, it had to get air from somewhere else.
Can't be the fuel cap cause I swapped this with the one on my brothers f800gs and tank wouldn't get vacuum.
Any ideas where the tank could have sucked air?
Sohere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:50 AM   #375
Casejeep
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohere View Post
I checked and the valve didn't work anymore so I removed it.

If the original tank couldn't get air, because the valve wasn't working anymore, it had to get air from somewhere else.
Can't be the fuel cap cause I swapped this with the one on my brothers f800gs and tank wouldn't get vacuum.
Any ideas where the tank could have sucked air?
im pretty sure the main tank has 2 vents....