Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
aadal OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Cool2 California - Venezuela March - June 2013

Hi all
I'm planning a trip from California to Venezuela. Starting in California 20'ish of March ending in Venezuela late May.
here's a map with sparse information on some dates.
The trip was planned/thought of, with a friend of mine, but life got in the way, so he cannot join me. And now I'm all alone
I speak Spanish. But it would also be nice to share a trip like this with others like minded so if interested in the trip or just to joining a bit please send me a message.

For my ride I would need a motorcycle, and I have narrowed it down to 2 choices in preferred order :
  1. Suzuki V-strom 650
  2. KLR 650 2008+
The suzuki is my preferred because I don't think i'll be doing Dakar style trip, and i had a GSX750F which served me well, but not at all uninterested in the KLR
My budget is about 4000$ without bags and 5000$ with bags, for the KLR and about 1000$ more for the Suzuki, mileage I would prefer around 10k or less, as i'm no mechanical genius.
So what i'm saying is "i'm looking for a bike!" hehe. links to honest dealership and so on is also welcome :-)
But here comes the tricky part. i'm no US citizen but Danish.
So what is best practice?
Export plates? titles and all in my name? I really have a lot of questions in this area, I read a thread about one that helped people like me but he went back to europe :-(
So information link etc. would be very very nice

The forum is overwhelming with info and I have enjoyed looking trough it the past month. Thank you all!

-Anders
aadal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
GastonUSAChile
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Hi there,

First of all, find the bike on this forum (flea market section) and get the most suitable for you. Vstrom are good bikes, I had a 1000cc but i know the 650 is excellent without too much weight (2 up) but even that, it is possible. Kawa are good but a lot less comfortable . Think about taking spares ofr any of these bikes because are not easy to find. Perhaps for the 650 Vstrom yes in Colombia, because the import them there.
I think you'll get a lot more bike on the VStrom for around the same amount of money.

Upon agreement with the previous owner, buy it and he must sign the title in the back . Now you are the new owner. He can help you out to get the new title using the same address as his. Also registering the bike for a new tag (under your name). I think California does everything on the title (including the plate #). He also must provide to you with a Bill of sale in order to get the new title. Be advised, you must provide the previous owner with a POA (power of attorney) to do the paperwork for you (titling and registration)
After all of this is done , you are free to export the bike as a tourist.

It is possible to use the same title and a bill of sale , signed in the back but , the problem is the plate and you could have eventual problems for not having the title with your name.
It is possible also to cross the border only with a registration but, you never know if would be ok to other countries. It has been done but may be he was lucky.
Actually I brought his bike from Chile (ocean shipped) and we use a copy of the registration because the original was lost. Even U.S. Customs accepted when got in, but I think it was luck.

US SHIPPING Now open: JUNE-JULY 2014 Share Container CHILE to MIAMI or HOUSTON
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741582 www.samericaxplorer.net
GastonUSAChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
aadal OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Hi thanks for the information
(thought I ticked the instant subscription on this thread but no... therefor the late reply )

so in order:
  1. me - buy the bike
  2. previous owner - sign title in the back
  3. previous owner - provide bill of sale
  4. me - power of attorney
  5. Paperwork can begin!
can it be partly paid? as previous owner will have PA as safety?

Hope i got it right :-)
aadal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,731
I really think you need to be the sole owner; for a lot of obvious reasons.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 775
Sent PM

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians