Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 03:39 AM   #1
olionel OP
Enthusiastic Member

Oddometer: 28
UK to Australia 2013

Hello folks;

Posted it up on the HUBB aswell.

Just thought I'd drop line with regards to some plans next year. Me and my girlfriend/fiancée (will be wife by February) have been planning riding to Australia for a while (two up on the Africa Twin... its almost tempting to get another cg125 and do it on two of them rather than the twin... anyways). The rough plan is:

Leave UK end of April-ish.. visit some friends in Europe... get to Turkey by June-mid June (mainly shuffling about in the Dolomites, Slovenia, Croatia and Albania, quick through Greece). Spend some time in Turkey with family (I grew up there and have family there). In July pop back in to Greece and travel the south of it, then had north to further die in the sun and make it to the Greece 2013 HU Meet. After that back in to Turkey, if all goes to plan will be meeting up with some friends from the UK and spend about a month or so (maybe more) travelling Turkey/ camping/ swimming/ eating /drinking etc I'm gona try do a lot of dirt roads in Turkey (gona be interesting 2 up). Then September time in to Iran, depeding on the visa would like to stay in Iran a bit, then Pakistan. Pak is currently bit of a gray area not really planned much, I might get in touch with Pak motorcycle club and CS and see if anyone can meet us and show us around a bit etc. I'd like to head down to Karachi do the makran coastal highway (hopefully it's not all tarmac) then back up to Lahore, then the mountains KKH etc then in to India... going to see how we like India. some people love it some people can't wait to get out, so we'll see... then it's Nepal I think, from around there fly the bike to Bangkok? Then it's abit vague after that. We want to do Cambodia and Laos, either backpack Vietnam or rent two bikes or even a car, whichever is easiest really. Would like to spend a month or so maybe in Thailand or on an island somewhere (I think making somewhere "home" for a bit and chilling might be nice). Then after that try get to East Timor through Malaysia, Indonesia (if the boat to Darwin is still running that is) if not seek alternative routes.

So yeah, if anyone is planning a roughly similiar route with similiarish dates, baring in mind although leaving UK in late April/early May, we'll be in Turkey/Greece from June till early September, so our paths might cross there or onwards. Might be able to tag along in some bits and have a drink or two and exchange notes

so yeah... there is the "masterplan".. now where was I with sorting that bike...

Have fun folks!
Oli
olionel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
LethPhaos
brb

Oddometer: 487
I'm probably heading for the swisss, italian, austrian alps then down the adriatic coast (croatia side) up to montenegro mid june - july, so our paths might intersect :)
LethPhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:21 AM   #3
olionel OP
Enthusiastic Member

Ooo sounds like Africatwin-o'clock

I think our rough Europe route off the top of my head will be: UK-Dunkerque, den Haag (see family), might also pop in to Belgium to see family aswell, Munich (have a look.. might live there.. I like being lcose to the Alps), in to Switzerland, do the passes, Grimsel, Furka etc etc Stelvio in to Italy, Firenze, Venice, then back up in to the Dolomites, then in to Slovenia, Croatia, Albania, (might be popping in to Bosnia if some our friends are there when we are) then Greece..then onwards and onwards until we get Malaria :)

If our paths don't cross have fun anyways!
Old 10-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
Willwilkins
Dr. Topbox

Oddometer: 615
The other direction

Hi

Your trip sounds great. My wife and I did Oz to UK last year on a DR650 and XT250. Missed Iran and did KKH into China instead - didn't fancy the troubled western provinces. Otherwise Pak is brilliant. Trans Air Cargo & Eale Eyes will look after you air ferighting Np - Bangkok.

More info at my website below

Best of luck, have fun

My biggest ride yet. Oz to UK. Read all about it here
http://www.wollongongtowoolwich.co.uk
Willwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #5
olionel OP
Enthusiastic Member

Your pics look very nice. Nice one on getting a book out of it. I couldn't get the other half interested until last month (she's only just got a wee cg125 and has started riding around)... we fear it may be too late to take two bikes though. Would have been nice.. One person carries jerry cans the other the tent. Ah well two up on the beast it is. Also I was umming and arring about to keep or ditch the topbox as I fear it may wobble and snap.. you seem to have kept it so I think I'll keep it till it breaks. Thanks for the input anyways!

Have fun!
Oli
Old 10-24-2012, 02:53 AM   #6
LethPhaos
brb

I'll make sure to contact you closer to D-day
Old 10-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
Willwilkins
Dr. Topbox

Oddometer: 615
topbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by olionel View Post
Your pics look very nice. Nice one on getting a book out of it. I couldn't get the other half interested until last month (she's only just got a wee cg125 and has started riding around)... we fear it may be too late to take two bikes though. Would have been nice.. One person carries jerry cans the other the tent. Ah well two up on the beast it is. Also I was umming and arring about to keep or ditch the topbox as I fear it may wobble and snap.. you seem to have kept it so I think I'll keep it till it breaks. Thanks for the input anyways!

Have fun!
Oli
The topbox only just made it! The box itself is fine, the plastic removable latch thing is the weak point. Best to ditch that and just bolt the box to the rack and make it permenant. Also I beefed up the metal mount with a welder and pipe work. If you can afford to buy proper stuff, then do it - its worth the money. Its a long way!!!

My biggest ride yet. Oz to UK. Read all about it here
http://www.wollongongtowoolwich.co.uk
Willwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 7,159
Assuming you head down through Montenegro, try this (below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by istankov View Post
Very good trip, but you missed one interesting point> Kotor.

After the breakfast in Hotel Plaza (Hotel Plaža) in Herceg Novi, you jumped on bike and drove that uggly street down to the crossroad in Meljine, then straight to Ferry crossing.

EEEEM ERROR!

When approaching to Ferry crossing in Bay of Boka Kotorska at Kamenari, don't stop on ferry and waste time, turn left, and pass by two narrow curves between old houses of Kamenari.

You will enter to the one of most beautiful bays in the world.

Next time you will know what to do :)

I missed the bay loop when I did it and used the ferry. I've not been back since then so though :( but I loved the coast road, espcially in Croatia - so much so that I did it in one go.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
olionel OP
Enthusiastic Member

ah nice one. Added that note to my spreadsheet.

Thanks very much
Oli
Old 11-13-2012, 01:25 AM   #10
LethPhaos
brb

made a note as well
Old 11-22-2012, 07:58 AM   #11
olionel OP
Enthusiastic Member

Just had a thought and tweaked my route a bit.. so currently it is going to be:

UK - Holland - Germany - Schweiz or Osterreich - Italy - Slovenia - Croatia - Montenegro - Albania - Greece - Turkey - Georgia - Armenia - Iran - Pakistan - India - Nepal - Thailand - Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam (backpack Vietnam) - Malaysia - Singapore (might not take bike in.. need to research this) - Indonesia - East Timor - Darwin

Again giving ourselves a year with plenty of chilling out involved in bits we like, rough milestones.. get to the mountains by October (north Pakistan and north India) and Nepal by November - December-ish.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:10 AM   #12
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 7,159
Route sounds good, fingers crossed I have a bike by the time you to my neck of the woods and I may join you for a beer.

Suggestions;

The Guzzi factory at Lako Como - check out their opening times though, a very small window indeed.
Coffee in Davos - just for shits and giggles
Fucking (Austria) for more giggles - don't try and steal the sign though, it's well secured.
Budapest (if you've not been), almost on the way and well worth a visit IMO
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:45 AM   #13
erik Fl
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Hello Oli,
Well, I'm busy with preparing my trip for next year also...from Belgium to Poland till Montenegro and Albania, furter to Georgia and then going till Mongolia...after a small stay there back home. I try to leave home (Belgium) around mid may. So, I guess that maybe our roads will cross somewhere :-)
If you're interested to make a meet or to do a part of the trip together, let me know hé !
Cheers, Erik
erik Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:48 AM   #14
olionel OP
Enthusiastic Member

Hey guys;

Yeah it would be nice to meet with you both en-route. I'll update here or start a blog at some point so we might be able synch. Erik, There's about a million people doing the -istans route on the HUBB this coming summer, so you could drop a line there aswell.

Take care
Oli
Old 12-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #15
Begra
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hi Oli,

I'll be going that way but only till Albania, as I only have couple of weeks for this trip. I'll leave slightly earlier, end of March, but we might cross the paths on my way back. I'll be there again later in the year, end of May, so if you happen to be there at the time, drop me a line and I'll show you some places around.

regards

Bes
Begra is offline   Reply With Quote