ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #16
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,409
Ok regarding the fuel range. I think I may have over estimated.........

I just got the tracks done from Moab to Hite. The longest leg from the outpost to Hite is 113 miles. Add in range to explore the ruins, reserve etc and I think we will need 150 miles and that will be pretty conservative. Hopefully that will help some people out if they were on the fence about range.

Just a little more info on how I envisioned the days for riding.

-Day one will be about about +- 80 miles from Moab to Ruin Park. Most of the riding is pretty fast and open with the exception of Elephant Hill and area through Canyonlands going into Beef Basin and Ruin Park. This area has a few difficult obstacles and the riding in general is more demanding for about 8-10 miles. I would like to leave Moab no later then 8am and get to the camping spot by about 2-3pm. This will leave plenty of time for people to explore and get some good riding in with the bikes unloaded around beef basin.

-Day two will be the longest day probably 150-170 miles (still working on the complete track) and I think it will be a full 8-10 hours of riding to get into the Swell. All this will be pretty easy riding with amazing scenery. The longest leg to gas will be about 120 miles.

-Day three can be challenging or a mild ride back to Moab depending on what people want and here it would be easy to split into two groups. From the Swell to Green River it is fast graded county roads, sit back and relax kind of riding. Once in Green River we can ride single track through the Dubinky area for an ass kicker finish or stay to to the county roads. Longest leg to gas will be around 80-100 miles.

If people are up to a good day of single track we can unload all the camping gear from the bikes at the Swell and my wife can haul the gear and meet us in Moab.

Hopefully that helps with the range questions.

Westfest 2013
Canyonlands Adventure Ride
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #17
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,795
You should toss in a little detour down Impossible Hill on the way to Ruin Park.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:36 AM   #18
spokenerd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Great loop! Count me in for 2.
spokenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:10 AM   #19
rinoman
Let's ride

Oddometer: 117
Sounds great.
Count me in !
Old 12-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #20
HellSickle
Scone Rider

In (probably counted already with the NM crew).

Old 12-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #21
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Spokenerd....
Welcome to both the ride and adv

Rinoman....
Thomas, Im glad you will be able to make it. I hope me and you dont have any knee problems

Hellsickle....
Im glad you will make, Im looking forward to meeting you. Id say impossible hill would be a nice detour for the brave I have not ridden it before, how does it compare to Bobby's Hole? (I think thats the name of the tough climb coming out of Canyonlands and into Beef Basin).

More info will be coming soon....

Thanks
ben

Westfest 2013
Old 12-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #22
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
Spokenerd....
Welcome to both the ride and adv

Rinoman....
Thomas, Im glad you will be able to make it. I hope me and you dont have any knee problems

Hellsickle....
Im glad you will make, Im looking forward to meeting you. Id say impossible hill would be a nice detour for the brave I have not ridden it before, how does it compare to Bobby's Hole? (I think thats the name of the tough climb coming out of Canyonlands and into Beef Basin).

More info will be coming soon....

Thanks
ben
I think the climb out of Bobby's hole has a name on the maps, but I don't recall what it is. This climb is harder, but you'll be going down it. If I understand the hill you are talking about, the turn for Impossible Hill is right at the base of it.

Impossible Hill:

Old 12-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #23
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,469
Somebody needs to clean the rocks off that trail.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #24
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,469
Geo, you have to be pretty close to 180 mile range on your big tank?
Old 12-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #25
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
Somebody needs to clean the rocks off that trail.
Then it would only be "Improbable Hill"

We rode up that a few years ago. It was ugly. For the guys camping out there, you should take a loop out to the Colorado Overlook. There are a lot of tower ruins back there. It will be a three hour tour..... Stop at the choda in chub valley for a nice break in the shade.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #26
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,501
Quote:
Actually Tim the range shouldn't be too bad providing fuel is available at the outpost and Hite which it should be. Right now it looks like the Outpost to Hite is the worst, about 110mi which gives a nice cush. A couple gallons will be needed to get from the Swell to Green River, plan is to have some available at the 2nd night's campsite
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #27
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 3,960
Quote:
My XRR is running a little rich (68s PJ), so I only get about 42 miles per gal even I baby it...I get 150 to about a tank (Clarke tank).

Edit: RF has agreed to carry my gas for me.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #28
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicXRer View Post
My XRR is running a little rich (68s PJ), so I only get about 42 miles per gal even I baby it...I get 150 to about a tank (Clarke tank).

Edit: RF has agreed to carry my gas for me.
I got a 65pj that will get you 50mph. I'm taking the XR4 w/ a 4 gal tank, about 180~200mi geared taller and taking it easy, I got 2 MSRs I can bring if needed.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #29
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hey everyone,

So a little more info on how this ride is shaping up......

There will be two ride options:
-One will be a light, fast moving group who will be riding straight thru to Blanding on day one. Ridefreak (thanks!!) will be heading up this aspect of the ride. There will not be much time for pictures, exploring, etc and it will be a full day of riding and most people are planning on staying in a hotel and eating out in Blanding. The second day they will meet up with the rest of the group for the BBQ and Beers and the remainder of the ride. They can drop off their sleeping bag/tent with a support vehicle in Moab on Friday AM.

-The second option is for those that want to camp off the bikes on day 1 in Ruin Park and leave time for exploring etc. This group will follow the outline I laid out for the ride in the original post. We have a lot of terrain to cover, but with the loaded bikes it will be slower paced than the first option.

Additionally we will try and run at least 3 groups (maybe 4) with 3-4 in each group. This will keep the pace of the entire ride faster, the dust down and let everyone settle into their "grove". We will iron this out more in the future but Ridefreak will be running a group from option 1, I will be running a group from option 2, and then we will see how the ride progresses for the other group.

I hope this will give people a few more options, yet still be able to see some great country. If there are any questions either post up here or PM me.

Also let me know if anyone is interested in riding the koko on thursday into moab.

Thanks,
ben

Westfest 2013

COXR650L screwed with this post 04-25-2013 at 07:19 PM
Old 12-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #30
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,160
Ride

OK I'm a definite in---now all I have to do is get 65mpg out of my 525-- well first I have to fix the rear wheel bearing. Anyone want to ride all dirt from NM--I'm thinkning 300 mile days.
How is RideFreak going to lead---every video he posts has him filming behind everyone in the group.......

AKASY screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 06:31 PM
AKASY is offline   Reply With Quote