Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #1216
Guerillah
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Bent my shift lever today on a very difficult trail, anyone know what other bikes ours is compatible with? Any advice on which shift lever brand to buy (ruling out aluminum)?
Guerillah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #1217
Wargasm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerillah View Post
Bent my shift lever today on a very difficult trail, anyone know what other bikes ours is compatible with? Any advice on which shift lever brand to buy (ruling out aluminum)?
I'd stick with aluminum, a stronger metal would only transfer more force to the shift shaft and you don't want that to happen.
Wargasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #1218
Harcomo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Shift lever

Quote:
Here you go.....if you decide to stay with aluminum.

http://bestdualsportbikes.com/produc...g-shift-lever/
Harcomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #1219
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
The dirt only XR`s have always had steel shifters for this very reason. Easy to bend back into shape so you can finish the ride/race.
And I got that straight from Bruce Olgive himself!

Bundy

Check out http://seatconcepts.com/ , your ass will appreciate it!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311
mxbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #1220
Guerillah
Adventurer

Yea I saw that aluminum one on bestdualsports but i've heard of the splines stripping out and some other issues with aluminum levers... maybe I should just buy two and have one as a back up in case it breaks on the trail. The stock one bent but was still able to be used which was nice.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #1221
Guerillah
Adventurer

The OEM shift lever is only $9, i'll just buy a couple of them.

Link: http://www.hondapartsnation.com/oemp...54be2132/pedal
Old 12-03-2012, 05:57 AM   #1222
Bladez
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Due to the fact that the OEM one (in Thailand anyways) doesn't have a folding tip, I put a KLX one on mine but it needed to have some of the middle cut out and then welded back together as its too long. Of course it then needs to be bent to match the original shape.

Here in Thailand, I know of more than one of these that the shifter spline has snapped right off since the shifter doesn't fold. My friend did it right in front of me and he wasn't going fast at all and the shifter just went into hard-packed dirt, not a rock or anything! He was almost stopped at the time making way for some mountain bikers but just lost balance due to his slow speed and the hill we were on. A rental shop owner I know here has reported that he has had about 3 CRFs due this in total already. When he used to rent KLXs, it happened occasionally also but not nearly this much.
Bladez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:45 AM   #1223
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,404
An old trick used by enduro riders before folding tips were available on shifters is to drill a hole in the lever....so it'll break easier....rather than damage the shift shaft, or the transmission....oh yes...and carry a spare and appropriate tools, and know how change it
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #1224
nbrooks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
My Mods

A few mods on the new CRF250L. Best Dual Sport Stage 1 mod with the Q4 exhaust. I opened up the air box with the Uni Filter air box vents as well. Plasti Dip was used for the rear and around the head light area. The Plasti Dip was used as a temp in case I did not like it, but I do. It is more durable that I thought it would be (about 6 coats). If I have issues with the Plasti Dip in the future, I will hit it with some flat black Fusion paint. I trimmed up the back license plate holder by getting rid of some of the excess. I was able to remove the big license plate light. I took the clear lense off the license plate light. I driled two holes into the bottom black plastic of the tail light, the used apoxy to attach the clear plastic piece from the license plate light over the two holes. This allows the light from the tail light to shine onto the license plate. If you do this, make sure to drill the holes as far forward as you can. The light coming out of the tail light shines straight down, so if you license plate is vertical the light may not hit it without bending your plate out. As you can see, I learned this lesson because my plate is bent out. I am aware Best Dual Sport is making a new foam filter for the bike, but charging $100 for them and they are not quite done yet. In the meantime, and for much less money, I am going to try and make my own. I have ordered bulk foam from Uni Filter. I am going to take a stock CRF250L filter and cut out the paper. Then glue the Uni Filter foam in place of it. I will let you know how that adventure goes. The bulk foam was only $12. I am still looking for details on the need or removal of the EVAP canister on the 250L. If someone could post detailed info of the need for it or the correct way to remove if it is not neaded I would appreciate it. From what I gather it does not seem necessary, so I could drop a couple of pounds if I can remove it correctly.
nbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #1225
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 690
on the topic of shifters, another bit of insurance is to use a "brake snake" to prevent branches/rocks/etc from getting in between the shifter and the case which causes it to bend outwards. Combine that with a folding tip and that is about all that you can reasonably do to keep it intact. If you do replace the stocker, hose clamp/zip tie the old one to the frame as a spare.

Obviously not a crf250l, but you get the idea:

The Letter J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #1226
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
on the topic of shifters, another bit of insurance is to use a "brake snake" to prevent branches/rocks/etc from getting in between the shifter and the case which causes it to bend outwards. Combine that with a folding tip and that is about all that you can reasonably do to keep it intact. If you do replace the stocker, hose clamp/zip tie the old one to the frame as a spare.

Obviously not a crf250l, but you get the idea:

DUH! Forgot all about "Brake Snake".......
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #1227
Fattirerider
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Hey, new member here.

I've been lurking for a while and thought it was time to register. I really appreciate all the great information on this site!

I bought my 250 in September and have had a blast on it. Most of my 2 wheel experience comes from pedal bikes. A bit of road biking but mostly mountain biking. My only other motorcycle experience is on my '84 Honda Trail 110. It was my Dads but he hadn't run it in 20 some years when I took notice of it. I got it running after a couple years of on again off again working on it. Once running reliably I was hooked! Short rides around town turned into all day adventures. The top speed of 45 mph limited the roads and the size (me being 6'2") made long days in the saddle rough. I still managed to do some 100+ mile rides on the lil guy. I had looked at bigger bikes in the past like the 230 but wasn't that impressed, then I saw the 250 and knew I had to have one!

I called around the local Honda dealers and found one not too far away and brought it home that day. I need to get some proper riding gear and a rack still. I'm looking forward to summertime, I would like to do some over nighters around the Olympic peninsula and the rest of Washington.

Fattirerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #1228
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
I think we have Honda's target market here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattirerider View Post
Hey, new member here.

I've been lurking for a while and thought it was time to register. I really appreciate all the great information on this site!

I bought my 250 in September and have had a blast on it. Most of my 2 wheel experience comes from pedal bikes. A bit of road biking but mostly mountain biking. My only other motorcycle experience is on my '84 Honda Trail 110. It was my Dads but he hadn't run it in 20 some years when I took notice of it. I got it running after a couple years of on again off again working on it. Once running reliably I was hooked! Short rides around town turned into all day adventures. The top speed of 45 mph limited the roads and the size (me being 6'2") made long days in the saddle rough. I still managed to do some 100+ mile rides on the lil guy. I had looked at bigger bikes in the past like the 230 but wasn't that impressed, then I saw the 250 and knew I had to have one!

I called around the local Honda dealers and found one not too far away and brought it home that day. I need to get some proper riding gear and a rack still. I'm looking forward to summertime, I would like to do some over nighters around the Olympic peninsula and the rest of Washington.

I think you are the type of buyer Honda was aiming at with this new bike. Congrats on your new purchase, Welcome, and I think you will enjoy your new ride

Nice Postie by the way. My dad has an 81 model.
Oil changed @ 14300... filter next
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #1229
Leoffensive
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
has anyone turned one of these into a supermoto yet?
Leoffensive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #1230
Tommyrg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Cry newbie here

Newbie here hope every one is having great success with there bikes...ive had a few issues. I got the bike to travel my 75 mile round trip everyday to college and work and its a blast in the city. Just to warn you if the bike falls on the right side it will bend the brake lever in half bust the mirror crack the exhaust cover and last but not least, bend the brake petal into the oil filter cover and leave you stranded but no worrys all new parts including an oil change 60 bucks...not bad. Im use to riding 2s motocross bikes this was a few years ago before I hit the real world(18 now). Anyhoo umm another issue I went out ona 100 mile adventure this weekend 40 miles of offroad pleasure and noticed a huge puddle of fork oil in my barn after I returned I was wondering if anyone has encountered this yet? Seems like these fork wipers are no where close to par
Tommyrg is offline   Reply With Quote