ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #1891
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!
 
bikyto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Northern Cali
Oddometer: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXVERT View Post
Are the voltages for adjusting the TPS on a '10 990
the same as the earlier 990's ('07-'08) ?

What are the voltages.

Max
Yes they are the same. 0.60v warm engine ignition off.
__________________
The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself...
bikyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #1892
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty
 
AZ-Twin's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Oddometer: 1,321
First I apologize for not reading all 127 pages of this thread. I am making my way through it slowly.

I have a 2011 990 ADV R with a Remus Roxx slipon. I think the PO removed the smog stuff, but I have not removed the tanks to check it out yet, that is on the to do list.

I have map KM601EU1180232 which I believe is the ADV R AKRA map, wich is about the richest map there is for the bike.

I want better fuel economy. I live in AZ, gas stations are far away sometimes. I would like to get up in the mid 40s for MPG (currently in mid 30s)

I would like the throttle to be a bit less twitchy, and I already installed a G2 milder throttle tube.

Will a generic 990 map help? Is there another map that is better?

Thanks
__________________
Rob Swartzwelder, Southern AZ
I'm not real fast, but I do have a dog named Dakar!
97 M900, 07 G650 XChallenge,11 KTM 990 ADV R
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:20 PM   #1893
moto-treks
Back Home
 
moto-treks's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Spokane Washington
Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin View Post
First I apologize for not reading all 127 pages of this thread. I am making my way through it slowly.

I have a 2011 990 ADV R with a Remus Roxx slipon. I think the PO removed the smog stuff, but I have not removed the tanks to check it out yet, that is on the to do list.

I have map KM601EU1180232 which I believe is the ADV R AKRA map, wich is about the richest map there is for the bike.

I want better fuel economy. I live in AZ, gas stations are far away sometimes. I would like to get up in the mid 40s for MPG (currently in mid 30s)

I would like the throttle to be a bit less twitchy, and I already installed a G2 milder throttle tube.

Will a generic 990 map help? Is there another map that is better?

Thanks
I'm not sure if the Remus Roxx is similar to the Akropovic however, I'm thinking they are less restrictive than the standard exhaust. So, going to the "R" version of the standard map may not be a good idea. Mid 30s isn't that bad for a '11 990. I get 40mpg plus or minus, but I have a 2 into 1, Rottwieler filter and custom map.

The nice thing about these bikes is it's easy to try a new map. If you can "feel" that the bike is running lean you could adjust the fuel. Unfortunately, I can't do that which is why I went to a tuner.
__________________
Moto Trek'n to New York via the Trans Labrador Hwy, South America

Moto-Treks

moto-treks screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 10:16 AM
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #1894
Ladukebob
lost in hood river
 
Ladukebob's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Hood River, Or.
Oddometer: 1,659
YouTube vid's?

Total noob to the ecu tuning but am interested in learning. I've read through a lot of these pages with great interest. I may have missed it but has anyone put together a instructional video for dumb-ass's like myself? I searched YouTube and found a few videos but nothing related to the Adventure.

This looks like a fun way to learn more about my bike.

Cheers
__________________
2011 990 adv
2012 wr250r
You don't know what you don't know
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #1895
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: West Nebraska
Oddometer: 964
'09 990 non-R with no map changes, all the junk removed, Remus Ti 2-1, regular excursions to 100+ mph, in fact about as much throttle as you can get away with without losing points ( I pick my places to unleash my inner teenager - i dont punish the bike but i have a lot of fun) and I average around 40. On a trip, one-up fully loaded with Jesse boxes and a steady hand I get 45. Offroad or around town is the only place you should be dropping in to the mid-thirties in my opinion. I think the Akra map was designed for safely running twin open pipes, with no thought for gas station availability at all. There are better maps out there.
__________________
2009 KTM Adventure
RoundOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #1896
moto-treks
Back Home
 
moto-treks's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Spokane Washington
Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post
'On a trip, one-up fully loaded with Jesse boxes and a steady hand I get 45.
IMHO, how one manages the right hand has the biggest effect on mpg.
__________________
Moto Trek'n to New York via the Trans Labrador Hwy, South America

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #1897
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty
 
AZ-Twin's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post
'09 990 non-R with no map changes, all the junk removed, Remus Ti 2-1, regular excursions to 100+ mph, in fact about as much throttle as you can get away with without losing points ( I pick my places to unleash my inner teenager - i dont punish the bike but i have a lot of fun) and I average around 40. On a trip, one-up fully loaded with Jesse boxes and a steady hand I get 45. Offroad or around town is the only place you should be dropping in to the mid-thirties in my opinion. I think the Akra map was designed for safely running twin open pipes, with no thought for gas station availability at all. There are better maps out there.
Thanks,

I'm gonna load the factory map for a standard 990 and see how I like it. As far as I know the only difference from a factory 990 and 990 R is the suspension and computer map. I don't need the extra HP at the cost of mileage. My exhaust sounds similar to yours as the Roxx is a 2 into 1 TI system.

On a trip at what distance does your low fuel light turn on?

Thanks again.
__________________
Rob Swartzwelder, Southern AZ
I'm not real fast, but I do have a dog named Dakar!
97 M900, 07 G650 XChallenge,11 KTM 990 ADV R
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:24 AM   #1898
moto-treks
Back Home
 
moto-treks's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Spokane Washington
Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin View Post
Thanks,

I'm gonna load the factory map for a standard 990 and see how I like it. As far as I know the only difference from a factory 990 and 990 R is the suspension and computer map. I don't need the extra HP at the cost of mileage. My exhaust sounds similar to yours as the Roxx is a 2 into 1 TI system.

On a trip at what distance does your low fuel light turn on?

Thanks again.
And the only difference between the standard and R map is the secondary butterflies are open 100% at full throttle. My MPG didn't change at all going from a standard to the R map. I did notice I had more HP at the top-end with the R map. If you'r running 2 into 1 with the standard airbox then you do not need the AKRA map.
__________________
Moto Trek'n to New York via the Trans Labrador Hwy, South America

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #1899
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty
 
AZ-Twin's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
And the only difference between the standard and R map is the secondary butterflies are open 100% at full throttle. My MPG didn't change at all going from a standard to the R map. I did notice I had more HP at the top-end with the R map. If you'r running 2 into 1 with the standard airbox then you do not need the AKRA map.
Thanks. I think I will just roll back to the standard R map then and see how it does. I need to do some more studying first. I don't want to dick anything up.

__________________
Rob Swartzwelder, Southern AZ
I'm not real fast, but I do have a dog named Dakar!
97 M900, 07 G650 XChallenge,11 KTM 990 ADV R
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #1900
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty
 
AZ-Twin's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
IMHO, how one manages the right hand has the biggest effect on mpg.
That is the tricky part..
__________________
Rob Swartzwelder, Southern AZ
I'm not real fast, but I do have a dog named Dakar!
97 M900, 07 G650 XChallenge,11 KTM 990 ADV R
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #1901
MAXVERT
Rough Rider
 
MAXVERT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Sun Valley Idaho, Baja Arizona
Oddometer: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
And the only difference between the standard and R map is the secondary butterflies are open 100% at full throttle. My MPG didn't change at all going from a standard to the R map. I did notice I had more HP at the top-end with the R map. If you'r running 2 into 1 with the standard airbox then you do not need the AKRA map.
Is the R map your talking about, the dyno tuned (tweeked) version you've
posted about here ?

If not how is that map working out, gas mileage wise.

I've got three bikes I need to get over to Nils this Spring.

Max
__________________
Da oggi la strada
senza limiti
MAXVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #1902
moto-treks
Back Home
 
moto-treks's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Spokane Washington
Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXVERT View Post
Is the R map your talking about, the dyno tuned (tweeked) version you've
posted about here ?

If not how is that map working out, gas mileage wise.

I've got three bikes I need to get over to Nils this Spring.

Max
The "R" map I'm talking about in the above few posts is the standard "R" map. The only difference I noticed when I switched to that map from a standard non-R map was the increase in HP at the top-end. It just pulles a lot stronger.

My custom map is working great more HP all they way throught the power curve. I've not noticed any real difference in the MPG. OK, a bit less but I'm contributing that to I'm just enjoying twisting the right hand more If I ride conservatively, I'm in the 40+ range.
__________________
Moto Trek'n to New York via the Trans Labrador Hwy, South America

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:19 PM   #1903
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: West Nebraska
Oddometer: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin View Post
Thanks,

I'm gonna load the factory map for a standard 990 and see how I like it. As far as I know the only difference from a factory 990 and 990 R is the suspension and computer map. I don't need the extra HP at the cost of mileage. My exhaust sounds similar to yours as the Roxx is a 2 into 1 TI system.

On a trip at what distance does your low fuel light turn on?

Thanks again.
I haven't hit low fuel since installing the 2-1, but it used to go around 160. I plan my refuels pretty conservatively as ethanol-free gas stops are few and far between in Nebraska. I wouldn't be surprised if the mileage was better now (everything is so much smoother now and my 3500-4000 rpm stumble almost disappeared with the new pipe) except that the note is pretty intoxicating I am probably twisting it more than I used to.
__________________
2009 KTM Adventure
RoundOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:42 AM   #1904
Zuber
Zoob
 
Zuber's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Main Street, Shedd, Oregon
Oddometer: 1,752
Try the Power-Tripp Wings map for 2-1 exhaust for 09-up. Very smooth, very good throttle, mileage about 40 mpg.
__________________
"Dad, can I get a motorcycle when I grow up?"
"Son, you can't do both"
Zuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #1905
pdxthmper
Gnarly Adventurer
 
pdxthmper's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Portland OR
Oddometer: 354
Power-Tripp Wings map

Where might I find it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
Try the Power-Tripp Wings map for 2-1 exhaust for 09-up. Very smooth, very good throttle, mileage about 40 mpg.
__________________
KTM 990 ADV MAKING GROWN MEN ACT LIKE HOOLIGANS
XR 650"L"
pdxthmper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014