User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
angrywhiteguy OP
i wanna ride!

Oddometer: 154
Ralle moto steering damper question

Just installed my RM 2 damper and have a question for anybody that has one of these....mine seems to have a fair bit of dampening even when on the lowests setting...is this normal?
angrywhiteguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
angrywhiteguy OP
i wanna ride!

Anybody? What about with Scotts.....i thought id be able to turn it off....doesnt appear that i can.

Comments would be appreciated.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:40 AM   #3
bob highsmith
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
work out?

noticed your post on this..did the damper work out for you?
thinking of one for a bike myself, if you would give us an update on how the
thing did for you.
bob highsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Interesting, mine seems to be the reverse - low damping until I crank it up! I generally run mine a 5 (out of 8) for the primary and 6 (out of 6, 100%) for the return. I emailed RM here in Aus but got no response.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #5
rallyeboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
]Interesting, mine seems to be the reverse - low damping until I crank it up! I generally run mine a 5 (out of 8) for the primary and 6 (out of 6, 100%) for the return. I emailed RM here in Aus but got no response.

]

Mine is the same way.... Hardly no dampening until I get out to 4 on the main. Just had it installed last week and have not had a chance to give it a real road test. In my garage, I can not turn the bars fast enough to activate the high speed pass damper. I am looking forward to using it soon.

The service guys at the BMW dealership that installed it were very impressed with the quality of the Ralle-Moto.

I wander if yours is installed correctly? Or ours? Seems like the nut in the steering stem could be turned the wrong direction.

Joe

rallyeboy screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 05:11 PM
rallyeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
angrywhiteguy OP
i wanna ride!

Question

Funny that this came up today....was just thinking about it again. I can not turn it off. For example, if i am in tight rocky terrain, very slow speed, going so slow that i need to balance by using the bars back and forth quite quickly, it slows me down, sometimes locks up almost. The first time i rode it, i was on a main rode going maybe 50km/hr when i decided to make a fast right turn into the side street....didnt make the turn. I ended up riding on the sidewalk for about a block before i was able to get back on the street that i had tried turning off of.

I did email them and they said this was normal...was thinking about getting ride of it but it is nice on fast two track or the highway...hmmmm.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #7
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyeboy View Post
Mine is the same way.... Hardly no dampening until I get out to 4 on the main. Just had it installed last week and have not had a chance to give it a real road test. In my garage, I can not turn the bars fast enough to activate the high speed pass damper. I am looking forward to using it soon.

The service guys at the BMW dealership that installed it were very impressed with the quality of the Ralle-Moto.

I wander if yours is installed correctly? Or ours? Seems like the nut in the steering stem could be turned the wrong direction.
Joe
Strangely, given how light the damping felt when free turning the handlbars with the bike in the centre stand, on a recent trip, heavily laden and riding in sandy terrain, switching the damper off (1) felt very strange - I couldn't wait to crank it back up again. The only way I can describe it is that it seems to stiffen the bike up laterally, the bike definitely felt more stable running at speed on sandy roads. Didn't stop me from falling off though!

syzygy9 screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 08:50 PM
syzygy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #8
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrywhiteguy View Post
Funny that this came up today....was just thinking about it again. I can not turn it off. For example, if i am in tight rocky terrain, very slow speed, going so slow that i need to balance by using the bars back and forth quite quickly, it slows me down, sometimes locks up almost. The first time i rode it, i was on a main rode going maybe 50km/hr when i decided to make a fast right turn into the side street....didnt make the turn. I ended up riding on the sidewalk for about a block before i was able to get back on the street that i had tried turning off of.

I did email them and they said this was normal...was thinking about getting ride of it but it is nice on fast two track or the highway...hmmmm.
NO, this doesn't sound right. A danger with cranking up the damping too much is exactly as you describe, you physically can't move the handle bars. This is a real problem at slower speeds where larger bar movements are made. At low settings the damping should be imperceptible.

You have tried with both the primary (1-8) and return (1-6) settings at 1?

syzygy9 screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 08:49 PM Reason: splelling
syzygy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #9
angrywhiteguy OP
i wanna ride!

Talking

Ill try it again....
Old 02-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
Powerful Pete
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Whitey, did you solve that problem?. I have a GPR damper with identical symptoms. I bought it used and the previous owner liked that twitchy ultra-fast steering better. Now I am wondering.
Powerful Pete is offline   Reply With Quote