Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #166
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,448
25 inHG vacumn or 25 inHG absolute? Considering that at sea level atmospheric is around 30 inHG absolute that is a pretty good pump.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #167
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Yeah I have a pressure cooker for the base. I watched a video of when things go wrong! Plus I have imploded some chem glassware in the past so I have some experience in destruction. Did you make a reusable gasket out of rubber or anything?

I had a 1/4 inch thick acrylic.... I just ordered a 1 inch piece now hahaha figured that a 1/4 won't work out since you have 1 inch.

I found a generic acrylic strength chart based on thickness and used some of that physics I learned in my undergrad and given my 9 inch span for the pressure cooker I should be safe with 3/4 but 1 inch is better for longevity.

runnin4melife screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 05:26 PM
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #168
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Imagine what that would do to your penis... after seeing 25 "Hg crush a pot that would be insane haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
25 inHG vacumn or 25 inHG absolute? Considering that at sea level atmospheric is around 30 inHG absolute that is a pretty good pump.

David
Old 12-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #169
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
Yeah I have a pressure cooker for the base. I watched a video of when things go wrong! Plus I have imploded some chem glassware in the past so I have some experience in destruction. Did you make a reusable gasket out of rubber or anything?

I had a 1/4 inch thick acrylic.... I just ordered a 1 inch piece now hahaha figured that a 1/4 won't work out since you have 1 inch.

I found a generic acrylic strength chart based on thickness and used some of that physics I learned in my undergrad and given my 9 inch span for the pressure cooker I should be safe with 3/4 but 1 inch is better for longevity.
Ha ha.... I found a ok very dense weather strip at the hardware store. It is working ok...... with no leaks, but I think that I eventually will find a silicone plate, and cut out a ring, as that , I think, will work better.

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #170
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Mcmaster Carr is your friend

www.mcmaster.com

Silicon Sheet red 1200 psi tensil strength 12x12 1/8 Thk
p/n 5787T13 - plain back $23 ea
p/n 5787T43 - adhesive back

I haven't dealt with these vacumn chambers before, so I'm not sure it will work, but it isn't too expensive to try.

David
Old 12-04-2012, 01:56 AM   #171
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

I am at the point where everything I am trying to get for this is used or really cheap. I had considered putting a coating of paraffin on my 1/4 inch sheet and running a bead of silicone sealant around the top of pot and letting it dry and then removing the sheet and seeing if that would work out. If it doesn't I can remove it and start over with something new.

Not that being cheap is bad, just let's me use my money elsewhere.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:20 AM   #172
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

Oddometer: 6,303
Morning, Looks like you have been having a lot of fun and making some cool stuff!
Old 12-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #173
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Quote:
I am at the point where everything I am trying to get for this is used or really cheap. I had considered putting a coating of paraffin on my 1/4 inch sheet and running a bead of silicone sealant around the top of pot and letting it dry and then removing the sheet and seeing if that would work out. If it doesn't I can remove it and start over with something new.

How much silicon can you get in your resin and have it work? There maybe cheaper methods than mine, but be careful. Penny wise and pound foolish can sometimes haunt you. What is $35 vs a batch of resin? Plus your going to reuse this stuff multiple times.

David
Old 12-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #174
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
How much silicon can you get in your resin and have it work? There maybe cheaper methods than mine, but be careful. Penny wise and pound foolish can sometimes haunt you. What is $35 vs a batch of resin? Plus your going to reuse this stuff multiple times.

David
David...
We were talking about how to make the seal between the acrylic lid, and the vacuum chamber....... I don't know though.... Adam has a wedding to plan, so perhaps he does needs some silicone in the matrix..... Ok... shutting up now..... where did I set down the espresso.....

Erling
Old 12-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #175
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

My fellow Garage Gansta..... I was actually considering this myself... So don't feel bad.

Erling
Old 12-04-2012, 10:37 PM   #176
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Hey, I'm not going to say it won't work. Just think through things a bit and throw out a few ideas. There are lots of options yet.

David
Old 12-05-2012, 06:39 AM   #177
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

I am contemplating many things to get a good seal. The good thing is that I can play with a bunch of stuff before I go live with actual expensive resin. I am waiting on my gauge and plexiglass right now so I have a bit of time to brainstorm. Regardless of what is used it will have to work multiple times. We shall see, but I plan on testing the silicone caulk method for fun. It is relatively cheap and if it doesn't work I peel it off and try a piece of rubber gasket I have, if that doesn't I give something else a try. As sure as the silicone gasket will most likely work in following the garage craft I am trying to use available material that saves on overhead cost. If I have to I will break down and buy something.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #178
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Sorry I couldn't help myself with this. I wanted to test out the piece so here is my first go at it..... Since I created the fiberglass model I wound up with a predicament in that I have a gap between the stock fairing and guard. If I do no like how this piece comes out I will fill in the gap and then use this as the mold for the final piece. I have made 6 fiberglass pieces leading up to this as well as I made paper mache when starting from scratch. I will not lie that this was difficult but none the less it was a lot of fun!

I have some trimming I still need to do to it. After I pulled it out of the mold I couldn't get a test fit to the gas tank/subframe because it is still too wide (left too much over hang on the piece).

runnin4melife screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 06:18 AM
Old 12-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #179
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Test fit!

So I tested this model out, I will term it CF model 1. It wound up fitting etc... but I want to adjust a few things in the next layup. That and I almost have my vacuum chamber assembled so we are getting close to the finished product.

Also I didn't do much if any sanding after I did the cut out because I wanted to test fit it etc...

Used a flash/no flash comparison

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Old 12-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #180
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

That looks like a good simple fit. Wide, and all..... I like it. Does it clear the lower swing arm under full stroke..???

Erling