ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #451
Aventeren
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Did It: US to Ushuaia, Argentina
Oddometer: 180
Question Mexico TVIP Question: Screw It, Jumping the GAP Now and did not cancel my TVIP

Howdy--

I recently came through Mexico, and I did not cancel my TVIP, as I was going to use it on the back side when I came back through. However now, I am in Costa Rica, and I have decided to continue on to South America--and as such I will not be heading back to Mexico--and I will therefore not be able to cancel my TVIP.

Does anyone know if there is an alternative method of canceling the Mexico TVIP from a different country?

Thanks!

Aventeren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #452
acejones
Beastly Adventurer
 
acejones's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: On the coast
Oddometer: 4,474
Screwed
__________________
I got tired of being here, so now I'm there
acejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #453
sion
sigh-own
 
sion's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Hocking Hills
Oddometer: 3,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventeren View Post
Does anyone know if there is an alternative method of canceling the Mexico TVIP from a different country?

Thanks!

look here for some information (website, phone number and email address) that may help you solve the problem:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=647840
__________________
I say, there's no such thing as a bad day's riding. -metaljockey

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #454
jimmex
Wanderer
 
jimmex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: West Texas
Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventeren View Post
Howdy--

I recently came through Mexico, and I did not cancel my TVIP, as I was going to use it on the back side when I came back through. However now, I am in Costa Rica, and I have decided to continue on to South America--and as such I will not be heading back to Mexico--and I will therefore not be able to cancel my TVIP.

Does anyone know if there is an alternative method of canceling the Mexico TVIP from a different country?

Thanks!

Just bring the same bike back through Mexico or you won't be able to get another vehicle into Mexico for the foreseeable future.
__________________
Guero from Texas
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #455
Aventeren
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Did It: US to Ushuaia, Argentina
Oddometer: 180
I've emailed my Banjercito contact to see if he would be okay with me going to the Mexican consulate in Costa Rica to have them somehow verify that I have the bike here--and that it was not sold in Mexico. I'll update everyone on how this strategy works out.

Given that I'm now going to be flying the bike home, it may be tough to go back through Mexico--unless I flew the bike from Argentina to Mexico City, which may be possible. We'll see.

Fingers and toes crossed.

Thanks for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
look here for some information (website, phone number and email address) that may help you solve the problem:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=647840
Aventeren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:09 AM   #456
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 7,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventeren View Post
I've emailed my Banjercito contact to see if he would be okay with me going to the Mexican consulate in Costa Rica to have them somehow verify that I have the bike here--and that it was not sold in Mexico. I'll update everyone on how this strategy works out.

Given that I'm now going to be flying the bike home, it may be tough to go back through Mexico--unless I flew the bike from Argentina to Mexico City, which may be possible. We'll see.

Fingers and toes crossed.

Thanks for your help.
Relax, this isn't Midnight Express or Papillion.

Bad on you for not canceling the TVIP

Bad on you for thinking you could cancel it at a foreign consulate

The fly the bike home idea is ok, see below.

To cancel the bike's TVIP you and it will need to appear at a Mexico border aduana.

Simplest way to do that it is just ride it home through Mexico. Or, don't sell the bike and ride it to Mexico in e future. Just don't bring a different bike. In that scenario, no new TVIP for you Charlie.

You've already kissed your deposit goodbye as you know. It's only money. Concentrate on taking photos on this current trip. People aren't taking enough photos these days. I don't care about your TVIP, I want to see your photos.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #457
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: USA
Oddometer: 2,411
Still don't understand why people can't follow simple rules.
__________________

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #458
acejones
Beastly Adventurer
 
acejones's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: On the coast
Oddometer: 4,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
Still don't understand why people can't follow simple rules.

It would sure head off a bunch of anxiety and be cheaper in the long run.
__________________
I got tired of being here, so now I'm there
acejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #459
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man
 
SchizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 7,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
Still don't understand why people can't follow simple rules.
They get simpler the more you do it. First time around can get a bit corn-fyoozing for some folks.
__________________
'09 WR250R, '14 R1200GSA "Der WasserNoggin"

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #460
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man
 
SchizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 7,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Relax, this isn't Midnight Express or Papillion.
Two great films. Recently saw a doc on Midnight Express. Turns out the true story of Billy Hayes' escape is far better then the fictionalized account in the film. You can watch it here.
__________________
'09 WR250R, '14 R1200GSA "Der WasserNoggin"

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #461
Stonewall
The Wild
 
Stonewall's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Bishop, CA / Castle Rock, CO
Oddometer: 1,803
Info

Just hanging out
__________________
Stonewall, That Guy From
Improvise, Adapt, or Overcome .

For "THE BEST COOLER MADE FOR MOTORCYLCE RIDING" Look Here
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252781

http://stonewall.smugmug.com/

3rd Annual WMRS Ride III in Bishop, CA Ride Report 07
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254807

4th Annual WMRS Ride IV Ride Report 08
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369576
Stonewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #462
pilot
Slackin' again
 
pilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Kansas City
Oddometer: 30,363
What's the story with the new passport cards? Can you take a bike across a border with one? Last time I did it, I used the passport book and it was stamped with the vehicle import information at each border. I need to know if I can use the card to transit borders.
__________________
"In order for one person to get a thing without paying for it, another person must pay for that thing without getting it"
Walter Williams

The other 10% are sociopaths , serial killers and KLR riders. You wont get much sympathy from them.
-Furious D
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #463
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 7,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
What's the story with the new passport cards? Can you take a bike across a border with one? Last time I did it, I used the passport book and it was stamped with the vehicle import information at each border. I need to know if I can use the card to transit borders.
The short answer is yes - it was designed specifically for frequent land/sea travel to Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean, and Burmuda.

It is not designed to be used for air travel or for entering any other country than those listed and then only by land or sea.

I've used it for Mexico travel many times. Works like a charm. I've also ordered an online TVIP with it many times.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #464
pilot
Slackin' again
 
pilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Kansas City
Oddometer: 30,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
The short answer is yes - it was designed specifically for frequent land/sea travel to Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean, and Burmuda.

It is not designed to be used for air travel or for entering any other country than those listed and then only by land or sea.

I've used it for Mexico travel many times. Works like a charm. I've also ordered an online TVIP with it many times.
So I can't use a card to fly into Cabo? What about the rest of Central America? Can I use the card for Guatemala and south?
__________________
"In order for one person to get a thing without paying for it, another person must pay for that thing without getting it"
Walter Williams

The other 10% are sociopaths , serial killers and KLR riders. You wont get much sympathy from them.
-Furious D
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #465
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 7,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
So I can't use a card to fly into Cabo?
This was answered in my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
What about the rest of Central America?
This was answered in my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
Can I use the card for Guatemala and south?
This was answered in my post
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014