User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-04-2012, 06:34 AM   #1
Ginger Beard OP
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,172
One more for the cheap seats....Scram-ster!

Like the title suggests I am getting ready to be taint deep in a Sportster Scramster project. Parts are piling up, bank accounts are getting drained and my meager skills will be put to the test as well as scrutinized by the ADVR public.

A little info about the bike...

Two years ago my dad decided that he would do a 70th birthday bucket list solo ride from his home in Homer AK to my home in south Florida. He loaded up his 2000 Sportster 1200 and rode that damn thing for roughly one month straight covering 7200 miles. At the end of the trip he stashed the bike with my aunt. A year later he came for a visit and we went for a week long ride together. Some details of those rides can be found here.

At the end of his last visit he asked me if I would be interested in taking possession of his bike. I jumped at the opportunity because 1) I LOVE Sportsters and 2) This particular bike means a lot to me because of the story behind it. The one stipulation he put on the deal was that I do something cool with it. I said "I already have an idea of what I want to build." He and I have always loved custom bikes...bobbers, choppers, cafe builds, rat bikes, you name it! For this bike build non of that would do, it has to be some type of dual sport. Drawing inspiration from the many great builds on this site ( JimmyTheHog, John Wesley, Doug, all come to mind ) I knew what direction to head with one little bit of a switchup. I want a classically styled bike that looks like I rode it right out of the 70's. Besides, with my limited budget and even more limited skill, the feat would be easier to accomplish than some of the more costly and modern options.

Now for a couple of before picks to get this thread started.....

That's it...The blue one.

On it's way down from AK.

And as it currently sits. Piles of parts and a goal without much of a plan for the point A to point B....

Wish me luck,I'm going to need it!!!

Scramster

Ginger Beard screwed with this post 09-09-2014 at 08:05 AM
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote