User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 05:57 AM   #16
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,673
Buzz

I don't find any bad buzz on the 800. The knobbies are loud but when I put on my street rims it is very smooth. I did the cheapo suspension upgrade of heavier springs in front since I'm a 220lbs before suiting up. Works for me.
I'm hoping to hit a few more events next year. Calabogie is a very nice area.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandal 62 View Post
Ha! already a step ahead of you! My wife is sitting her feeding the baby and I have about 12 tabs opened up on my laptop, one of which is youtube wataching "Awesome Players Drowned bikes". I've been watching intently as you are on an 800GS. Good skills!!

No KLR buzz on the highway? Did you upgrade your suspension?

Cheers!!

I forwarded your videos to a mate and fellow KLR rider of mine, he is pumped we plan on coming down to Calabogie in the spring. Hopefully I'll be on a new steed....800GS perhaps?
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #17
Vandal 62 OP
KCCO

Oddometer: 173
Great info from everyone I appreciate it. It pays to hear from real people who have put some miles down range on the KLR then made the switch. If it was as easy to test ride bikes as it is to do with cars these forums wouldn't be as full!!

Does anyone know if the 2013 suspension has been sorted? I know there is an adjustment for rebound on the back shock but thats it.

My plan is to pick up a 2013 over the winter then pick away at upgrades. First and foremost will be armour, skid plate, crash bars, bark busters etc. An average ride on my KLR with my buddy nets about 60% off road 40% on with 2-3 crash's each haha!.
Vandal 62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #18
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,673
F800

As far as I know the suspension is the same. If you really want to take the bike off-road buy used. You can get some real deals on bikes that already have a lot of accessories on them. With the three year warranty you can buy a two year old bike and still have a year for any major problems to be sorted out.

Quote:
Great info from everyone I appreciate it. It pays to hear from real people who have put some miles down range on the KLR then made the switch. If it was as easy to test ride bikes as it is to do with cars these forums wouldn't be as full!!

Does anyone know if the 2013 suspension has been sorted? I know there is an adjustment for rebound on the back shock but thats it.

My plan is to pick up a 2013 over the winter then pick away at upgrades. First and foremost will be armour, skid plate, crash bars, bark busters etc. An average ride on my KLR with my buddy nets about 60% off road 40% on with 2-3 crash's each haha!.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #19
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinebuilder View Post
I took the BMW performance center offroad course on a F800GS ,before I bought mine, I left the class knowing I was buying one.
Can you provide some details about this course?
Where? Cost? Duration? Etc...
Thanks
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #20
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:

The front forks on the 2013 are now WP.
There is an adjustment knob for the rear shock to change the preload.
You can also switch, on the fly with the press of a button, between SPORT, NORMAL and COMFORT modes.

If you're crashing on the KLR, you're probably going to crash on the F800.
Invest in a good skid plate, engine guards and hand guards.
It may save you money in the long run.
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #21
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post
Can you provide some details about this course?
Where? Cost? Duration? Etc...
Thanks
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...spx#motorcycle

I took it at their performance center in Greenville, SC.

I took the 1 day class offered at the time (it looks like they have expanded the offerings), I don't think I could have done a second day, I was wiped out. Cost was about $600.

here's a link to the RR

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568373
Old 12-04-2012, 07:29 AM   #22
Vandal 62 OP
KCCO

I have come across a lot of negative opinion regarding the suspension of the 800. There were 5 pages of worth on the 2013 whether or not it had WP front forks. This next bike like I said I want to be happy with 'out the box', minus aftermarket armour, luggage and windsheild. All the major mechanical components and suspension need to be good. The KTM seems to be build tougher with beefier suspension. Is there truth to this? How many of you have re worked the suspension?

Regards, Paul.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #23
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,764
Quote:
I have come across a lot of negative opinion regarding the suspension of the 800. There were 5 pages of worth on the 2013 whether or not it had WP front forks. This next bike like I said I want to be happy with 'out the box', minus aftermarket armour, luggage and windsheild. All the major mechanical components and suspension need to be good. The KTM seems to be build tougher with beefier suspension. Is there truth to this? How many of you have re worked the suspension?

Regards, Paul.
The 800 suspension is plush compared to the KLR. I think it is plenty good for most people and their riding styles. The problem all suspensions have is they are designed for "average weight" riders. They might need upgrade if you are really heavy, ride with a passenger, or heavy loads. You might also need an upgrade if you are riding the bike like you think it is a supercross bike.

The front end will dive if you brake really hard on pavement. Stiffer springs will ride rougher off road. There are trade offs.

I think most people upgrade their suspension because they read about others doing it and think that it will make them a better rider. After spending big bucks on new suspension people are going to brag about how much it helps rather than say they wasted money. I've upgraded suspension on bikes because of failure of OEM parts. It did improve the ride, but not worth the price of replacing OEM that didn't have a problem. It is kind of like people putting on after market exhaust and bragging about how much power they gained when dyno testing show very modest gains if any.
sorebutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #24
Vandal 62 OP
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt View Post
The 800 suspension is plush compared to the KLR. I think it is plenty good for most people and their riding styles. The problem all suspensions have is they are designed for "average weight" riders. They might need upgrade if you are really heavy, ride with a passenger, or heavy loads. You might also need an upgrade if you are riding the bike like you think it is a supercross bike.

The front end will dive if you brake really hard on pavement. Stiffer springs will ride rougher off road. There are trade offs.

I think most people upgrade their suspension because they read about others doing it and think that it will make them a better rider. After spending big bucks on new suspension people are going to brag about how much it helps rather than say they wasted money. I've upgraded suspension on bikes because of failure of OEM parts. It did improve the ride, but not worth the price of replacing OEM that didn't have a problem. It is kind of like people putting on after market exhaust and bragging about how much power they gained when dyno testing show very modest gains if any.
Well said. When I was riding sport bikes there was a lot of 'I need this' 'this bit is the tits' 'need more power' on already 150+ superbikes. A quick glance at a punters back tire told the story. Inch wide chicken strips. Most people cannot squeeze the performance out of a stock bike. I have seen guys riding slicks on the street thinking they stick not knowing that you need to generate heat in order for them to work, that heat only comes from the track.

Well said, I have found myself being sucked into the "are they really WP forks?" "well it was friday when they made them and my cousin Jimmy's wife's friend works at WP factory and they used a different oil, from banglesh so blah blah blah"

Don't care.....I just don't want to splash the cash for a sweet bike then find myself on the internoggin looking to upgrade forks. Thats for KLR guys. I'm torn between the 990 and the 800GS.

FML, first world problems eh...lol.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #25
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt View Post

I hear what you're saying but in the case of the F800GS forks (not including the 2013s 'cause I haven't ridden those yet) the fork is under sprung and poorly valved. Yes the fork is plush but it rides too far in it's travel and blows through it's travel quickly on even moderately hard hits. This also contributes to the front rim getting dinged because it bottoms out too easily. I'm well within the target weight range and the fork was just not good in the dirt. Just talking braking bumps and potholes etc. here let alone rougher stuff that I get into. (I had also changed the fork springs on the KLR too).
I waited and waited for some susp. brand to come out with a middle ground between the spring option and the full on change and nothing came up so I finally got Hyperpro's progressive springs.

Massive difference!! Coming into the shop is a cobblestone section on the road. On the way in it was the usual chatter out of the fork with the old springs. On the way out with the new springs it was SMOOTH! I was very surprised. Not as much diving either and at high-speed the aforementioned stutter bumps and potholes are much better. Being progressive it doesn't trade off small bump compliance (proven to me on the cobbles) and it rides higher in the stroke, resists bottoming and works better all 'round. Absolutely a great improvement in my mind and I'd recommend it wholeheartedly!

That's my 2c!

Dave