User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 91 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #1156
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,438
Anybody have any experience with the Telecaster Deluxe, the model with the big headstock and humbuckers, vs. the std. Tele?
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #1157
pox
no longer no bike!!!

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMoney View Post
Led Zeppelin will be on David Lettermen tonight.

Don't think I've ever heard JPJ utter a single word before!!
What a funny fucker!!!

pox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #1158
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by pox View Post
Don't think I've ever heard JPJ utter a single word before!!
What a funny fucker!!!

You should check out, "It might get Loud". You can watch it for free from Crackle.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #1159
pox
no longer no bike!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
You should check out, "It might get Loud". You can watch it for free from Crackle.

I have the DVD but I only recall seeing Jimmy Page in it!!!!
Old 12-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #1160
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pox View Post
I have the DVD but I only recall seeing Jimmy Page in it!!!!
Doh, missed that part.

Here's the clip off Letterman.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:12 AM   #1161
Chuck289
Air cooled

Oddometer: 2,239
This is the only guitar I have in my apartment right now, A mahogany Baby Taylor. I got this when looking for a small travel guitar. I was looking at the Martin backpacker before I discovered this.
I also have a standard Telecaster and a Martin 000M

Old 12-05-2012, 03:41 AM   #1162
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,436
I feel SO OLD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
Doh, missed that part.

Here's the clip off Letterman.

FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:34 AM   #1163
pox
no longer no bike!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I feel SO OLD.

Feel or Look?
One is on the outside the other on the inside!!!!!
Old 12-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #1164
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck289 View Post
This is the only guitar I have in my apartment right now, A mahogany Baby Taylor. I got this when looking for a small travel guitar. I was looking at the Martin backpacker before I discovered this.
I also have a standard Telecaster and a Martin 000M

That's very nice. I was at the Taylor factory last week and while waiting for the tour to begin I picked up one of these to play and absolutely loved it. The mini-GS too.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:33 AM   #1165
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,808
Got my SG yesterday. I quite like it. My fret sense is all screwed up compared to the strat, but I will adjust. Someone has had the cover for the truss rod off and not put it back tho.

Loads easier to play. Lots lighter and I don't find myself trying to squeeze the neck in two as much.

My first humbucker guitar. Man that thing is Soooper sensitive to volume played. Just a little harder with the pick will send you into way more OD than I expected. It's also a lot more acoustic than I expected a solid body electric to be.

Seems to stay in tune quite well. Intonation is awfully close to dead on according to the tuner in guitarrig.

The G and A string both have a pronounced rattle when played around the pickups though. Strum them up near the nut and it's just a clear sound.

And idea wtf that is? Doesn't come through the amp.

I'm going to stop and pick up some new strings for both of them tonight. The SG strings are thrashed.

For 179$ guitar though, I am muy happy.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #1166
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,081
Thinking about picking up a guitar again. Sold all of mine a few years back when my son was old enough to be mobile...and they had to be stored in cases, instead of the stands in the living room. I wasn't playing much. And may never play a lot, nor will I ever be good. But I've always enjoyed dabbling with a guitar. My son has a little student el-cheapo that his grandparents gave him for Christmas. I play around with it, but I'm a big guy, and it's a tiny toy of a guitar. So it has me thinking I need another one.

I like acoustics, but can't afford one that would make me happy. I don't enjoy "affordable" acoustics for the most part. Never been a fan of playing with the strings a half inch off the neck. So I'm leaning more towards an electric. I've had nice, and I've had really crappy. I want good player that is affordable! My last electric was a Jackson, that played really well. I got it cheap because a tuner was busted. I had it set up and the tuners replaced by a pro, and it was a really decent guitar for no more than I had in it. So I"m probably leaning towards something under $300! I'm looking for recommendations in the Ibanez, Charvel, Jackson, etc range. S/S/D config works, but not the most important thing to me. I love the sound and feel of a Strat, but can't justify $600 on an American that won't be as nice as a $400 Japanese guitar.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #1167
KCScott
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ibanez-Artco...item1e7498bd42

I bought one of these a couple of years ago. Best bang for the buck guitar i've ever bought. Can't go wrong.
KCScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #1168
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
Thinking about picking up a guitar again. Sold all of mine a few years back when my son was old enough to be mobile...and they had to be stored in cases, instead of the stands in the living room. I wasn't playing much. And may never play a lot, nor will I ever be good. But I've always enjoyed dabbling with a guitar. My son has a little student el-cheapo that his grandparents gave him for Christmas. I play around with it, but I'm a big guy, and it's a tiny toy of a guitar. So it has me thinking I need another one.

I like acoustics, but can't afford one that would make me happy. I don't enjoy "affordable" acoustics for the most part. Never been a fan of playing with the strings a half inch off the neck. So I'm leaning more towards an electric. I've had nice, and I've had really crappy. I want good player that is affordable! My last electric was a Jackson, that played really well. I got it cheap because a tuner was busted. I had it set up and the tuners replaced by a pro, and it was a really decent guitar for no more than I had in it. So I"m probably leaning towards something under $300! I'm looking for recommendations in the Ibanez, Charvel, Jackson, etc range. S/S/D config works, but not the most important thing to me. I love the sound and feel of a Strat, but can't justify $600 on an American that won't be as nice as a $400 Japanese guitar.
Charvel and Jackson have gone wonky over the past few years. Something that will definitely keep up with that feel is a Kramer. One of the modern Striker models (not the plywood ones from the 80's) have a lot of bang for the buck, but I think folks are hanging onto them so getting a used one is tough.

I'd say go Ibanez for parts availability, customer support, etc. as well as the playability and sound.

I have an older SA160 from them. Smaller than a strat and light, but fully mahogany so it sounds bigger, like an SG maybe. Feels much faster and the stock pickups aren't bad at all.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #1169
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post

A MIM Vintage Modified Stratocaster HSS? That's around $225. Classic VIbe's has a lot of good buzz around it but it's under $400 not $300.

Although you might want to check out the Seagull S6 acoustic. It's a nice little guitar. Higher quality then most beginner guitars by a lot. Made in Canada.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #1170
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,808
Found my rattle. One of the little screws in the bridge used to adjust intonation is a tiny bit too short. tightened it down, and lost a few cents off of the intonation.... but no more rattle. It will suffice till I can get it looked at/fixed.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: