Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 07:56 AM   #466
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post
As far as putting out the fastest possible lap time goes that is still a ridiculous way to do it with a much easier way around it (the way Moto GP racers do) to scrub speed.

Carrying maximum corner speed involves having the tightest turning radius that traction allows for (maximum lean angle). How do you reach maximum lean angle? By evenly loading both the front and rear tires or slightly favoring the rear. If your sliding the front tire than your not at max lean angle which is reason #1 why that technique would only make your lap times slower. Reason #2 is sliding in general isn't a very effective way of slowing down. For example try skidding the rear tire under braking compared to modulating it to maintain traction.... which stopping distance ends up being shorter? On a correct corner entry the front will be fully loaded and only slipping slightly, at this point the rear usually has a lot of traction left to give. So if you want to scrub just a little speed why not simply use the rear brake? (which is what Moto GP riders do by the way). This way there's no sliding involved or weird on/off throttle chopping. Sliding the front is very risky and doesn't have any benefit to lap times what so ever.

There's plenty more reasons why purposely sliding the front would make your lap times slower but I'm not going into all of that. Just for an example think about this one. At 80mph your traveling at 117 feet per second. In the time it takes you to make your throttle blip (maybe 0.5 seconds) you've traveled about 50ft. Now imagine what would happen to your lap time if you simply adjusted your racing line to be either on the throttle and accelerating or at maximum lean angle for that 50ft instead of sliding the front tire and pushing wide.
A lot of words from someone who knows precisely nothing about riding a MotoGP bike to (and beyond) its limits.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #467
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,820
I also know precisely zero about riding a MotoGP bike. Just like everyone else here I suppose... this thread really ought to be renamed 'the armchair experts guide to MotoGP riding!'
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #468
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
I also know precisely zero about riding a MotoGP bike. Just like everyone else here I suppose... this thread really ought to be renamed 'the armchair experts guide to MotoGP riding!'
+1
And I thought all the talk of Stoner whining was dull, boring and, drawn out...sweet fuck, shoot me.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #469
dontlr
Mysterious Chatter

Oddometer: 2,691
Here's some actual truth and a relevant fact

@BSMotoGP: Random #MotoGP stat of the day! 2012 was the first season since 06 in which the rider with the most wins didn't claim the championship
dontlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #470
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,348
Older news, but Dovi has a tweaked neck and can't do any testing on the Ducati. Sounds like he found his stoner-esque "mystery illness".

Andrew
andrewgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #471
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgore View Post
Older news, but Dovi has a tweaked neck and can't do any testing on the Ducati. Sounds like he found his stoner-esque "mystery illness".

Andrew
That didn't stop him from winning the Simoncelli Benefit Supermoto race on Sunday in Latina Italy, beating a certain V. Rossi and Rossi's new twitter 'friend,' Max Biaggi in the process.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #472
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,348
I didn't say it was a real issue, just that it kept him from extensive testing of the Ducati
andrewgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #473
Closed Casket
Suicidal, but a nice guy.

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
+1
And I thought all the talk of Stoner whining was dull, boring and, drawn out...sweet fuck, shoot me.
+10000. My thoughts exactly.

2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
Closed Casket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #474
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,041
Anyone know what kind of oil they use in motogp?
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #475
SGrider
376 miles to Chicago

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140 View Post
The Italians use Olive oil.

SGrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #476
Mr. Ray
Chemically Enhanced

Oddometer: 3,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140 View Post
Tugaboos?

http://www.roadtofermentation.blogspot.com
Mr. Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #477
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
+1

But you gotta know that all the MotoGP riders are reading this thread to figure out how to go faster. "Slide the front end...no, slide the back end.....no, brake with the front and slide the rear......"

I can see DP at home huddled over his computer, jotting down notes from the ADV experts...

I understand that some folks here are giving up on this easy stuff and will be moving on to NASA to instruct on how to exceed the speed of light.

This is going to be one long-ass winter without actual racing to watch........
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #478
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2wheels View Post
This is going to be one long-ass winter without actual racing to watch........
Log into your MotoGP.com account pick any year and rewatch all of the races from that year. Maybe the 03 125 championship when Lorenzo, Pedrosa and Stoner all raced together?
Go back and watch a season of any class and year and watch all of the battles.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #479
dontlr
Mysterious Chatter

Oddometer: 2,691
I just grabbed the Apple TV with XBMC and Nuvi-X. Good stuff and found a Red Bull channel with all their programming including ever Red Bull Rookie Cup race on Demand. More places to find racing.. There are BBC and Eurosport channels but haven't seen any racing on BBC yet and Eurosport isn't working yet. So far I think every program you can imagine that was ever shown is most likely stored on the Internet without commercials.
dontlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #480
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
I think it's only logical they are sliding both ends of the bike...

When does a tire produce the most grip?

When it has a slight slip angle.

A top racer is going to be working both ends of the bike to 100% of the available traction lap after lap. On corner entry it's going to be trail braking and tipping the bike in with the front slipping, and exit is going to be the rear end sliding a bit as the bike stands up.

From a lap time standpoint allot of what separates the good from the amazing is how quickly and consistently they can get the tire to peak grip (which is slightly sliding) with out overshooting it and how well they can keep it at peak grip.

There's a big difference in appearance of a tire sliding at a 5% slip angle and a 15% slip angle. A 5% is barely if not in-perceptible to an outside observer, but the rider (or driver cause it applies equally to cars) can feel it and the data logging would show it.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote