Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #49681
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
hey guys its Christian, aka elsalvadorklr on here,

as some of you already know Ulysses´ friend Justin has been hit...some of you know the details maybe even more than me but I have been in contact with bryce since this happened late Sunday...helping with translating, talking with the doctors stuff like that.

The details of the accident are still murky and I helped with the options one "has" down here...

being foreign and possibly "guilty" doesnt help and they were being bribed big time..so I tried to help as much as I could with that...

Hopefully they are just trying to get Justin operated and recovering...as soon as that happens I will be meeting up with them and offering whatever they need

Justins bike will be stored at my mothers place in ataco, as well as all extra gear and whatnot for however long they need to.

Im waiting for Bryces call today to see what to do next.

Im so bummed this happened...some of you know I got crashed into not 2 years ago and it was hell...
so let all pray this all gets resolved soon.

Christian
Christian, you are a good man. Someday (......someday.....) I will buy a beer at your cafe (maybe 143 beers--eventually you will have to ask me to leave!).

PD
Old 12-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #49682
my6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
In my younger days as a street rider I used to carry one of the long glass coke bottles (remember those) between my legs and when someone in a cage got too close I'd wave it at them. They always got the picture and backed off. But that was then...
Old 12-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #49683
bark sampler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Foot pegs for cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1 View Post
This is the route I would like to go. http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/products...peg-extension/ I am using the ebay ones rt now. I just wish they were a little bit longer.
I've been using these.
http://www.d2moto.com/p-30867-honda-...foot-pegs.aspx

Work great and cheaper than the fleabay versions. My bet is they are the same peg. I did spot face the pivot so the worked better, but for $10, no complaints. I've put them on my XR400, an XR200R, and a buddy's XR250L (check aplications, also available.)

Also, their bar end mirrors can be used inboard for a fantastic dual sport mirror. I'll take a pic if there is interest, but I mount it so its positioned like dual-star.com's mirror. Basically you skip the bar insert and mount it inboard of the clutch lever.
http://www.d2moto.com/p-13852-univer...d-mirrors.aspx

Jim
Old 12-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #49684
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,242
Quote:

as some of you already know Ulysses´ friend Justin has been hit...some of you know the details maybe even more than me but I have been in contact with bryce since this happened late Sunday...helping with translating, talking with the doctors stuff like that.

The details of the accident are still murky and I helped with the options one "has" down here...

being foreign and possibly "guilty" doesnt help and they were being bribed big time..so I tried to help as much as I could with that...

Hopefully they are just trying to get Justin operated and recovering...as soon as that happens I will be meeting up with them and offering whatever they need

Justins bike will be stored at my mothers place in ataco, as well as all extra gear and whatnot for however long they need to.

Im so bummed this happened...some of you know I got crashed into not 2 years ago and it was hell...

Christian
There was a guy in Ride Reports named BigAlSmith that rode his DR from Alaska to Argentina. he had a similar accident in Columbia where he broke his leg etc., I left him a PM and asked him to reach out to you in case he could share his own experience. my recollection is it was a major hassle - besides all the pain.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #49685
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by my6 View Post
In my younger days as a street rider I used to carry one of the long glass coke bottles (remember those) between my legs and when someone in a cage got too close I'd wave it at them. They always got the picture and backed off. But that was then...
(in my van) I had a tire iron that I would wave violently when someone would do something stupid. This dumbass in mexico with dark skin, pulled in underneath me in a u turn as I was looking right. I didn't see him until I almost took his front end off. He came up behind honking and screaming in his little saturn. I took out my boom stick, waved it violently and he pulled out his pistol. The cops didn't arrest him, nor me, and I never asked who he was to be open carrying in MX.

Just a funny story. I still carry the tire iron. What are the chances it'll happen twice?
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #49686
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
(in my van) I had a tire iron that I would wave violently when someone would do something stupid. This dumbass in mexico with dark skin, pulled in underneath me in a u turn as I was looking right. I didn't see him until I almost took his front end off. He came up behind honking and screaming in his little saturn. I took out my boom stick, waved it violently and he pulled out his pistol. The cops didn't arrest him, nor me, and I never asked who he was to be open carrying in MX.

Just a funny story. I still carry the tire iron. What are the chances it'll happen twice?
He was a cop am sure. I was in Ensenda on my ninja for a 3 day weekend. We decided to head towards La bufordora. On the way there I had to stop for gas. While my bike was being fueled a guy walked to me and asked me about my bike. After about 30 seconds he pulled out a gun and ask me for the bike at gun point. My friend was inside getting a few sodas while this was happening. He seen what was going on so he ran up to the guy from behind and cracked him on the side of the face with a coke bottle. He reached for his face dropping the gun. We spent the next 3 to 5 minutes giving the guy a world class beating. We only stopped because we were tired. We held him at gun point till the cops showed up. As soon as the cop arrived I threw away the guy so they can see me doing it. After cuffing the guy and searching his pockets they found a badge. They were pissed and wanted to know what the fu@k was going on. The gas attendant told him what he seen and showed them the a video tap of what has happened. One cop wanted to arrest us for the beating we gave the another wanted to let us go. After 30 minutes when a sgt showed and heard the story he told us to leave Mex. As far as I know nothing happened to the cop legally. But damn did he get a Rodney King type beating that day.
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #49687
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 713
Quote:

Christian
They're lucky you're there, I'm sure they can use all the help they can get.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #49688
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
He was a cop am sure. I was in Ensenda on my ninja for a 3 day weekend. We decided to head towards La bufordora. On the way there I had to stop for gas. While my bike was being fueled a guy walked to me and asked me about my bike. After about 30 seconds he pulled out a gun and ask me for the bike at gun point. My friend was inside getting a few sodas while this was happening. He seen what was going on so he ran up to the guy from behind and cracked him on the side of the face with a coke bottle. He reached for his face dropping the gun. We spent the next 3 to 5 minutes giving the guy a world class beating. We only stopped because we were tired. We held him at gun point till the cops showed up. As soon as the cop arrived I threw away the guy so they can see me doing it. After cuffing the guy and searching his pockets they found a badge. They were pissed and wanted to know what the fu@k was going on. The gas attendant told him what he seen and showed them the a video tap of what has happened. One cop wanted to arrest us for the beating we gave the another wanted to let us go. After 30 minutes when a sgt showed and heard the story he told us to leave Mex. As far as I know nothing happened to the cop legally. But damn did he get a Rodney King type beating that day.
Holy Jeepers! Maybe this is why my Momma never let me go to Mexico. Such things really happen?? The hair on my neck is still standing.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:40 PM   #49689
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,242
Quote:
He was a cop am sure. I was in Ensenda on my ninja for a 3 day weekend. We decided to head towards La bufordora.
got my truck and wife's CRF stolen there during Baja 1000. Great memories for all.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:21 PM   #49690
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Holy Jeepers! Maybe this is why my Momma never let me go to Mexico. Such things really happen?? The hair on my neck is still standing.
This was back in 96. Believe or not the cops are a lot better now. Its been years since a cop has suggest a bribe.
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:53 AM   #49691
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post

LOL... taking a tire iron to a gun fight.
ThumpnRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:57 AM   #49692
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,393
Have you guys heard of " Anger Management"?
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:59 AM   #49693
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Eh? Why are dual sports getting continually heavier?

In my latest cycle mag, they did a review on the Honda crf-250l, along with the Husky Terra 650. The 250 weighed over 320lbs wet, the Terra 408 wet (claimed), Our 650L's weigh 346 wet, and with some simple lightening mods I've gotten mine down another 20 or so lbs...which puts it VERY close to the 250. Even the KTM's have put weight on over the years It seems like most all the big-bore dual sport thumpers are making a mad dash for the 400+lb range and beyond......
That really seems to be the opposite of what alot of us would like out of a street-legal dirt bike.
Are the manufacturers missing the customers needs in this area, or are us guys who'd like a dirt bike that is actually light enough to be fun in the dirt the minority anymore?

Its sad when the 250 class is now weighing close to a slightly lightened XR650L, and substantially more than a dual-sported XR650R

I'm not suprised there's so many guys riding crf-230l's, xt225's, tw200's etc, with the way the 250 and big-bore dual-sports are packing on the weight.....like a weight-watcher who's fallen off the wagon
I guess big bore torque/hp and light weight don't play well together anymore .....and its starting to seem the same can be said about the 250 class as well

I can't wait to see what kind of heavyweight Honda replaces the xrl with........if the crf-250L is any indication, its going to be a real porker..........

With this type of trend developing, I think I'll just lighten up my xrl some more, put on some USD forks, and let CW do his mega-motor magic on my motor when its rebuild time
Old 12-05-2012, 07:34 AM   #49694
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
This is the route I would like to go. http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/products...peg-extension/ I am using the ebay ones rt now. I just wish they were a little bit longer.
First off, thanks everybody for all the feedback
It looks like the E-bay or D2 pegs are the overwhelming favorite, and I'll prolly try them first since they're so damn cheap...like me

But honestly, what Ben linked to above is exactly what I'm looking for......but that price....ouch!!!
Something like the works connection weld ons might be a possibility, but honestly I might just go whole hog on this one down the road, and pick up the pivot-pegz and long foot extensions......that really looks like what I need to make the bike and my big feet work the best together
Old 12-05-2012, 07:36 AM   #49695
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
In my latest cycle mag, they did a review on the Honda crf-250l, along with the Husky Terra 650. The 250 weighed over 320lbs wet, the Terra 408 wet (claimed), Our 650L's weigh 346 wet, and with some simple lightening mods I've gotten mine down another 20 or so lbs...which puts it VERY close to the 250. Even the KTM's have put weight on over the years It seems like most all the big-bore dual sport thumpers are making a mad dash for the 400+lb range and beyond......
That really seems to be the opposite of what alot of us would like out of a street-legal dirt bike.
Are the manufacturers missing the customers needs in this area, or are us guys who'd like a dirt bike that is actually light enough to be fun in the dirt the minority anymore?

Its sad when the 250 class is now weighing close to a slightly lightened XR650L, and substantially more than a dual-sported XR650R

I'm not suprised there's so many guys riding crf-230l's, xt225's, tw200's etc, with the way the 250 and big-bore dual-sports are packing on the weight.....like a weight-watcher who's fallen off the wagon
I guess big bore torque/hp and light weight don't play well together anymore .....and its starting to seem the same can be said about the 250 class as well

I can't wait to see what kind of heavyweight Honda replaces the xrl with........if the crf-250L is any indication, its going to be a real porker..........

With this type of trend developing, I think I'll just lighten up my xrl some more, put on some USD forks, and let CW do his mega-motor magic on my motor when its rebuild time
Agreed.

I think it is primarily for 2 reasons. First and foremost is the down turn in the world wide economy. Saving weight is expensive. Like the Husky Terra using steel for a subframe and swingarm vs aluminum. That's just one example.

Secondly, the green movement. Dual sports have to meet all road type emissions standards and that takes complex engineering and equipment. That's expensive and heavy (compared to having none of that). The XRL if not a legacy bike would never meet smog standards applied to newer designs.