ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #31
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
OK I'm a definite in---now all I have to do is get 65mpg out of my 525
More chili eaters

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Canyonlands Adventure Ride 2013 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / VIDEOS
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #32
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,441
Nice, welcome.

Im assuming that was you that just paid the registration? If so thanks, its going to be a fun weekemd
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #33
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
OK I'm a definite in---now all I have to do is get 65mpg out of my 525-- well first I have to fix the rear wheel bearing. Anyone want to ride all dirt from NM--I'm thinkning 300 mile days.
How is RideFreak going to lead---every video he posts has him filming behind everyone in the group.......
Roost Cam

Paid!

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"

RideFreak screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 06:44 PM
Old 12-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #34
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridefreak View Post

paid!
+1

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #35
burque magoo
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 5,196
all paid up and legal now............woot!---

burque magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #36
dmac1
Desert SW Luvr

Oddometer: 663
On the plated aspect....from what I understand, Utah does not recognize Colorado tags unless additional 'street legal' features are on the bike, which are primarily turn signals. Whats the take on this? I've got a CO tagged bike but it wouldn't measure up out there....hence I always buy Utah OHV stickers.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #37
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,412
Signed up! Can't wait!
I haven't been to the Elephant Hill area since my first ever trip to Utah in 1983 or 84. I'm on a G650XCountry so it is a little challenged in the ground clearance area (compared to a plated dirt bike) but hope the steps are minimal. I'll make it somehow and am excited. I've always wanted to do this loop and have the camping gear for it now so no excuses! (So yeah I'll be in a group that is camping from their bikes).

I've been stuck in the sticky clay in some elevations in that area south of Needles before, so hope it is dry. I mean stuck so you get off the bike and it just stands there bound up like a blob of concrete. The high La Sal region could be tricky with mud as well and I don't have a plated dirt bike, more towards an adventure bike so that is a concern (especially since we WILL have SNOW this winter, RIGHT???), but hey we'll figure it out when the time comes right? Don't want to 2nd guess the organizers I know you put a lot of thought into this!

Thanks for organizing this!

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #38
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

On my Husky all the turn signals are broke off and I have no plans of replacing them.....

People may get hassled from time to time, but I have ridden a WR450 with a license place ducktaped to the back fender through town several times and never got a second look.

I would guess if it has a plate we will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac1 View Post
On the plated aspect....from what I understand, Utah does not recognize Colorado tags unless additional 'street legal' features are on the bike, which are primarily turn signals. Whats the take on this? I've got a CO tagged bike but it wouldn't measure up out there....hence I always buy Utah OHV stickers.

Also I have got all the registrations so far, thanks.

If people can post up if they are planning on camping the first night in Ruin Park or going into Blanding that will help with planning.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #39
60wag
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
OHVs are not allowed in the National Park. Plated bikes are. Technically, turn signals are required.

"If you know what you are doing, you aren't learning anything." A. Lincoln
60wag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #40
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,412
Extra Fuel

I know there are many options but I have used the "easy roll up aux gas tank" otherwise known as the MSR Dromedary bag. I use the 6 liter one but they even make a 10 L monster. Yeah it's only made for water but it works, especially if you are going to empty it the same day. It's nice because it just rolls up small and you have it handy, IF and when you need it, and it has a lot of grommet holes to tie it on with (TIE IT TIGHTLY!@). Bring a ziploc bag to put it in after you empty it because once you have gas in it then it really smells of gas and will make everything in your pack bag stink too. DAMHIK.

The weak link if there is one, is reported to be the cap. Not the big cap, it seals fine, but on the big cap is a smaller cap with a plastic valve you can open and close (like on a lotion bottle). You could seal that cap or replace it with one that does not have a valve if you are concerned. I just mount it so the cap it as the highest spot and doesn't have gas trying to flow through it via gravity. I like to have the valve actually because the bag will bloat up in the sun and you can use it to depressurize it a bit to take the strain off as you ride (carefully).

Also don't plan on filling it to the brim, I usually go for 80% just to leave expansion room. There I overkilled that tip, sorry if this is old news...

Oh yeah and don't carry as much crap as I have below for a longer Baja trip:

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #41
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Great..... Welcome

Just put on a skid plate and some real knobbie tires (you will really need those!)

I would say we will be fine with the snow by May unless it is really, really bad winter.

If so we will bypass the mountains through Blanding.

Thanks,
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
Signed up! Can't wait!
I haven't been to the Elephant Hill area since my first ever trip to Utah in 1983 or 84. I'm on a G650XCountry so it is a little challenged in the ground clearance area (compared to a plated dirt bike) but hope the steps are minimal. I'll make it somehow and am excited. I've always wanted to do this loop and have the camping gear for it now so no excuses! (So yeah I'll be in a group that is camping from their bikes).

I've been stuck in the sticky clay in some elevations in that area south of Needles before, so hope it is dry. I mean stuck so you get off the bike and it just stands there bound up like a blob of concrete. The high La Sal region could be tricky with mud as well and I don't have a plated dirt bike, more towards an adventure bike so that is a concern (especially since we WILL have SNOW this winter, RIGHT???), but hey we'll figure it out when the time comes right? Don't want to 2nd guess the organizers I know you put a lot of thought into this!

Thanks for organizing this!
Old 12-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #42
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60wag View Post
OHVs are not allowed in the National Park. Plated bikes are. Technically, turn signals are required.
That is correct, the only time I've seen it enforced was when the rangers wanted to make a point or when one enters the park at a station where they can look over the bike as you pay. At both places where this ride passes through the park, the entrance will be in extremly remote locations.

The route exits the park near the Hansflat ranger station. I wasn't planning on stopping for this very reason. The possibility exists to get hassled and ticketed, same goes with entrance fees, I think it's $20 a pop, be prepared to pay it if asked. No different than the White Rim.

RideFreak screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 11:39 AM
Old 12-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #43
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Never mind I see you have the tires covered

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
I know there are many options but I have used the "easy roll up aux gas tank" otherwise known as the MSR Dromedary bag. I use the 6 liter one but they even make a 10 L monster. Yeah it's only made for water but it works, especially if you are going to empty it the same day. It's nice because it just rolls up small and you have it handy, IF and when you need it, and it has a lot of grommet holes to tie it on with (TIE IT TIGHTLY!@). Bring a ziploc bag to put it in after you empty it because once you have gas in it then it really smells of gas and will make everything in your pack bag stink too. DAMHIK.

The weak link if there is one, is reported to be the cap. Not the big cap, it seals fine, but on the big cap is a smaller cap with a plastic valve you can open and close (like on a lotion bottle). You could seal that cap or replace it with one that does not have a valve if you are concerned. I just mount it so the cap it as the highest spot and doesn't have gas trying to flow through it via gravity. I like to have the valve actually because the bag will bloat up in the sun and you can use it to depressurize it a bit to take the strain off as you ride (carefully).

Also don't plan on filling it to the brim, I usually go for 80% just to leave expansion room. There I overkilled that tip, sorry if this is old news...

Oh yeah and don't carry as much crap as I have below for a longer Baja trip:

Old 12-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #44
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Cool pciture Chris....

last year in Needles the lady in the entrance booth said dirt bikes were not allowed. I told her they were street legal and she looked and the plate and shrugged and in we went. We were on an XR400, with just a plate, and XR650r with just a plate and my Husky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
That is correct, the only time I've seen it enforced was when the rangers wanted to make a point or when one enters the park at a station where they can look over the bike as you pay. At both places where this ride passes through the park, the entrance will be in extremly remote locations.

On the way to Elephant Hill we will pass through an entrance gate so it will be $20 (unless someone has another route)

The route exits the park near the Hansflat ranger station. I wasn't planning on stopping for this very reason. The possibility exists to get hassled and ticketed, same goes with entrance fees, I think it's $20 a pop, be prepared to pay it if asked. No different than the White Rim.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #45
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Teaser

Here a couple teasers.
Lockhart Basin Trail, this is the start near Chicken Corners.

Riding across the basin.

Another view from the Needles Overlook (if you look close you can see the trail below)

This is a vid riding from Hite Marina north, the trail parallels Cataract Canyon

Here's the switchbacks on the Flint Trail.