ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
my6 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Oldie but a Goody

I recently picked up a "Garmin Street Pilot III" in pristine condition for a whooping $35.00 off ebay. I met with the guy and he was the original purchaser. He even showed me the original receipt for it. $750.00!!! I have owned one before but after loaning it to my Dad it came back non functional due to badly leaking batteries. Looks like Alien blood dripped inside it. Thanks Dad...Anyway, my plan is to remove my odo assembly(Xr650L) and mount it in it's place as I don't like the idea of electronics mounted high on the bars looking for a way to get torn off. I know an Inmate that used one of these on his ride to South America and back in all kinds of weather, so I trust the unit completely. So my question is has anyone else here done what I have in mind as to mounting their GSPIII or others as the main unit? If so post a pic, I'm looking for mounting ideas. Thanks... Dave

my6 screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 05:11 AM
my6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:36 AM   #2
pschuyler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by my6 View Post
I recently picked up a "Garmin Street Pilot III" in pristine condition for a whooping $35.00 off ebay. I met with the guy and he was the original purchaser. He even showed me the original receipt for it. $750.00!!! I have owned one before but after loaning it to my Dad it came back non functional due to badly leaking batteries. Looks like Alien blood dripped inside it. Thanks Dad...Anyway, my plan is to remove my odo assembly(Xr650L) and mount it in it's place as I don't like the idea of electronics mounted high on the bars looking for a way to get torn off. I know an Inmate that used one of these on his ride to South America and back in all kinds of weather, so I trust the unit completely. So my question is has anyone else here done what I have in mind as to mounting their GSPIII or others as the main unit? If so post a pic, I'm looking for mounting ideas. Thanks... Dave
Are you able to update the maps on this unit?
Are you able to upload a route also?
Old 12-07-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
my6 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
I spoke with Garmin and they said the last update was in 09 and I'm pretty sure he said that would be "THE" last one. For it's intended purpose that should suffice as the roads and trails I plan on riding/exploring have been around since just about the beginning of recorded history and for $35 how could I go wrong.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,737
I used a III+ for years. You can update the maps. In fact the map memory was so limited that I had to create a new mapset for almost every ride.

I was able to upload routes to mine. I was only using Topo 100k at the time, so I don't know if the unit supports routeable maps.

You have to be really careful with your via and waypoint names since the unit truncates them to 8 characters and only saves the last one loaded.

And I don't know for sure if you can upload tracks.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote