User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #16
TonyT OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
My original point

was that CTC seems to have "dumbed down" their bike oil. My only evidence for this is the change in packaging and my experience that retailers usually like to point out that their product meets industry standards. Maybe I'll get off my butt and ask CTC about it.
If it is Shell that makes the CTC oil, I'm quite sure that they'll make whatever CTC asks them to. If you did go back to Shell and complain, they'd just point you to CTC. Kinda like going to Whirlpool to complain about the Sears Kenmore washer you bought and they made. I did that once and they just sniffed and told me that while they made the Kenmore machine, they didn't make it to their standards.
Anyhow, Perth CTC had plenty of Grand Prix for me, so the girls will all be oiled up.
Cheers,
Tony
Old 11-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #17
Sunday Rider
Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer: 653
pre-ignition bucket of water noted.

I would have to agree to your original post, if it didn't say meets warranty or at least some standard I'd pass, but on the other hand if it was the same product number......
Old 11-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #18
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,395
The big issue with car vs moto oil is the friction modifiers (moly usually) that can be added. They can be too slippery for the wet clutch. If you ride a gutless wonder like say a KLR it probably would never matter, but it's possible to slip the clutch in higher hp applications. If in doubt look at the API logo on the back if it says energy conserving that's the bad one, if that field is blank fill your boots.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:01 AM   #19
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,542
Formula 1?

Is this the no-name stuff?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

The MSDS is available on-line... made by Shell too. I've been running Castrol GTX 10w40 automotive in my Goldwing GL1500, and GTX motorcycle oil in my KLR. Lately started blending in a little Shell T6 synthetic on the KLR (adding during top up - it's an oil burner) to restore the viscosity as it wears (not to extend oil change intervals).

Good article here on automotive vs motorcycle oils - you decide!

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html
Old 11-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #20
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
was that CTC seems to have "dumbed down" their bike oil.
Tony
CTC realizes that most bikers are dumb enough to pay extra for oil in a bottle with a motorcycle on it. Just Marketing 101
Old 11-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #21
canridertj
CANRIDER

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
Went into the Smith's Falls, ON, CTC store today to pick up some Castrol Gran Prix, but none on the shelves.
So I looked at the house oil, Formula 1. Two different bottles on sale, the older one I'm familiar with and a new one with more purple script on it.
Here's the thing, the older bottle refers to the contents as "Premium motorcycle oil" and lists conformity with SG, SF, etc.
The new bottle makes no mention of "Premium" and lists NO conformity to standards, I don't remember it even stating that it met warranty requirements.
Both bottles say "Made in Canada" and both are the same price, of course.
Would you buy the new stuff? I won't.
Cheers,
Tony
the bottles and not contents are made in canada......it's probably cleaned up chip oil...

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man
canridertj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #22
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,372
I would go with the Rotella T6. CT sells it and it's relatively cheap. I wouldn't buy anything that didn't have the API class on it.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #23
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
I wouldn't buy anything that didn't have the API class on it.
+1.
I'm not interested in having to cross check some chart or another, put the info on the label of the product.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #24
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
You guys that are using 15/40 heavy duty shell diesel oil, are you guys running bigger bikes.

I have a 950 ktm SM and I have all kinds of 0/40, 5/40, and 15/40 shell oil sitting around that I use in my diesel equipment, but I didnt realize I could throw that in my bike. I was always worried about slipping clutch's.

I dont have a pail in front of me right now, but is there anything in a heavy duty diesel oil that wouldnt be safe to use in our bigger bikes?
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:10 AM   #25
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,298
Shell Rotella T is now Jaso MA certified. Here is a breakdown of the Jaso specs.

http://www.oilspecifications.org/jaso.php
Old 12-03-2012, 03:18 AM   #26
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,742
I have used Rotella in 1 cylinder to 4 cylinder bikes. Mostly the synthetic (now called T6), and in one, old, high mileage thumper, I used the 15-40 because I had read synthetic oil could cause leaks in old machines with marginal seals and gaskets. No issues.

Last time I looked, the cost for 15-40 in the big jug at CT is $4.40/liter including 13% sales tax.

T6 was around $22 gallon (3.78 liters) in the US (~$6/liter) last year, and I usually bring 2 or 3 jugs back when I go South.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #27
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
I have used Rotella in 1 cylinder to 4 cylinder bikes. Mostly the synthetic (now called T6), and in one, old, high mileage thumper, I used the 15-40 because I had read synthetic oil could cause leaks in old machines with marginal seals and gaskets. No issues.

Last time I looked, the cost for 15-40 in the big jug at CT is $4.40/liter including 13% sales tax.

T6 was around $22 gallon (3.78 liters) in the US (~$6/liter) last year, and I usually bring 2 or 3 jugs back when I go South.

T6 Synthetic goes for $37 at wally world Canada for a 5 liter jug so once again the dollar being equal doesn't mean anything.... I get that jug through Shell for a few dollars less ... So currently at $7-$7.50 per liter up here it is still less than half the price of the moto specific stuff... I used to buy it by the 20L pail to get a bit more savings but I didn't like forking out the $120-$130 all at once...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #28
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
The big issue with car vs moto oil is the friction modifiers (moly usually) that can be added. They can be too slippery for the wet clutch. If you ride a gutless wonder like say a KLR it probably would never matter, but it's possible to slip the clutch in higher hp applications. If in doubt look at the API logo on the back if it says energy conserving that's the bad one, if that field is blank fill your boots.
Eh, Triplenickel, Have you unsubscribed?
Old 12-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #29
daysgoneby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
Shell Rotella T is now Jaso MA certified. Here is a breakdown of the Jaso specs.

http://www.oilspecifications.org/jaso.php
I buy it in 5 gallon containers from Walmart for around $60.
daysgoneby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:52 AM   #30
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by daysgoneby View Post
I buy it in 5 gallon containers from Walmart for around $60.
In Ontario at Can Tire, the 5 (US) gallon (18.9 L) pail of Rotella T 15-40 Diesel Motor Oil (Product #28-7932-6) is $76 + 13% tax, so $4.54 / liter. I used the 15-40 in an old DR350, and it ran fine. I wouldn't hesitate to buy this if T-6 wasn't available.

The same 15-40 oil at Walmart in NC this week was $13 / gallon, + around 6% sales tax, so still a good deal at $3.54 / liter, and easier to handle than a pail.

The T-6 Rotella 5-40 synth I brought back was around $22 / gal + tax, which works out to $6.15 / liter

At Can Tire, T-6 Rotella 5-40 synth 4L jug is currently listed at $43 + 13% tax, so $12.15 / liter. No bargain in my opinion, though it does go on sale occasionally.