User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #1
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,395
talk me out of it....

Tell me why I shouldn't go with the K&N pod/air box eliminator kit for my 88 R100 RS?

If it comes with the breather for the crank case, etc... and I'm already using a K&N flat filter what's the negatives?

Background on the bike now -

It's a twin spark, dyna coil ignition, enduralast charged bike with rebuilt stock carbs, but has the H pipe non collector box exhaust.

Runs quite strong - I don't use it for bad weather or commuter riding - wknd warrior rig only.

Will this affect performance?

tia
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #2
kaput13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
I'm glad you asked the question as I would like more information on this too. I've done this twice on Guzzi's with differing results. My 86 Lemans took the mod in stride but on my 02 V11 fuel injected dyno tuned bike it robbed too much midrange. Hopefully someone who has done this will chime in.
kaput13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
boxerkuh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
I am totally against it and I will not do it to my bikes... simple reason.... I periodically clean the aircleaner and the box itself and it is dirty.... I can't imagine exposing my engine to all that dirt with individual pods. I am a rounder and daily rider... I want the engine to last as long as possible and cut the life short by 50K or more... I am having to rebuild it anyway, but not more frequently... I don't have the bankroll for that... I know it looks better, but I am still an Airhead and will require function over form...
boxerkuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,275
It all depends. It can take a lot out of your midrange or not depending. I suspect it will with that setup but I am afraid the bottom line is trying it and finding out for yourself.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,016
I used to have one of those bikes (88R100RS) my first BMW, wish I still had it.

Personally I would leave the stock air box assembly on it, you are basically dealing with a known quantity. The manufacturers put quite a lot of research and design into these parts to make them work well. You can insert and turn the key, fire up the engine and ride away with out fiddling with it. If you have a problem you know basically that stock parts will fix it.
If you go down the slippery slope of modifications, many times every little hiccup becomes a pain in the ass to find and repair. Do a little search of carb replacement and jetting, there have bee a lot of those recently.
I have been there and got the T-shirt, I like to keep them basically stock and just ride them. If it becomes a pain in the ass, you will be less likely to ride it.

If you want a performance bike, buy a performance bike.

It is ultimately your bike, ride it and enjoy it.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerkuh View Post
I am totally against it and I will not do it to my bikes... simple reason.... I periodically clean the aircleaner and the box itself and it is dirty.... I can't imagine exposing my engine to all that dirt with individual pods. I am a rounder and daily rider... I want the engine to last as long as possible and cut the life short by 50K or more... I am having to rebuild it anyway, but not more frequently... I don't have the bankroll for that... I know it looks better, but I am still an Airhead and will require function over form...
Yes, but as I said - this isn't my daily rider- or long hauler, it's a wknd spinner.

And to be honest, I don't see how my K&N (stock) airbox filter will be any cleaner an intake than a set of K&N pods.....

If someone can tell me why it's actually worse functionally I'm all ears. If it's a question of air volume comparisons, the carbs can be adjusted fairly easily to accommodate.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogswell View Post
I used to have one of those bikes (88R100RS) my first BMW, wish I still had it.

Personally I would leave the stock air box assembly on it, you are basically dealing with a known quantity. The manufacturers put quite a lot of research and design into these parts to make them work well. You can insert and turn the key, fire up the engine and ride away with out fiddling with it. If you have a problem you know basically that stock parts will fix it.
If you go down the slippery slope of modifications, many times every little hiccup becomes a pain in the ass to find and repair. Do a little search of carb replacement and jetting, there have bee a lot of those recently.
I have been there and got the T-shirt, I like to keep them basically stock and just ride them. If it becomes a pain in the ass, you will be less likely to ride it.

If you want a performance bike, buy a performance bike.

It is ultimately your bike, ride it and enjoy it.

Mike

Thanks, but as I pointed out, I've already gone down the mod slope (see orig post), with good results. So my bike's not stock, at least in the engine and suspension category.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,343
1. The stock post 1980 air box is better for power than the old round one.
2. The K&N filter for said post 1980 airbox does not fit well at all. They fit so poorly they allow unfiltered are past it.
3. If your building a cafe racer or fun weekend hot rod have fun with it. You will feel no power loss or gain running individual filters. You will have more intake noise which I personally like.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #9
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerkuh View Post
Run a K+N with the stock box and you will be amazed how much cleaner it stays. Night and day cleaner! That is after it is modified to fit right but that is easy enough to do.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:56 PM   #10
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,938
It will be louder
It most likely affect your power band and maybe not in a good way.
There's no decent looking solution for removing the air box
The carbs have less support
The filters will hit your shin.

At least it's easy to put it back to stock when you get tired of the pods.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #11
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
Thanks, but as I pointed out, I've already gone down the mod slope (see orig post), with good results. So my bike's not stock, at least in the engine and suspension category.

Gorgeous bike, I may buy another one someday.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #12
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,141
Have a read of this and you'll have an idea why the pods are the spawn of Satan http://www.bgideas.demon.co.uk/tmanual/Tm_Ch2.pdf
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #13
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
I'm gonna presume that your motivations are aesthetic.

So... considering:
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
The filters will hit your shin.
And considering that you'll need to oil these pods in order for them to filter properly...

Do you consider clean pants to be part of the look you're going for?
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #14
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer View Post
Have a read of this and you'll have an idea why the pods are the spawn of Satan http://www.bgideas.demon.co.uk/tmanual/Tm_Ch2.pdf
I read that entire thing, got all the way back here and remembered I'd gone there to learn about pods
Old 12-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #15
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis View Post
I'm gonna presume that your motivations are aesthetic.

So... considering:

And considering that you'll need to oil these pods in order for them to filter properly...

Do you consider clean pants to be part of the look you're going for?

Not really, I simply would like to have less "going on" on top of the transmission - When I first bought the bike I cracked open the airbox to find this -

Critters were living in the airbox. I never did like the design of that airbox, especially with the tiny tornadic winglets in each intake that never line up correctly, the black plastic and the big chunky box of aluminum bottom.

If the pods hit my shins, it's not a matter of getting my pants dirty that would bug me, it would be knocking into the pods every time I move my legs.

I also wouldn't mind a bit more throat in the sound, not at all loud but just a bit growlier.