ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 03:38 AM   #9571
Gravel Seeker
Thomas
 
Gravel Seeker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
Oddometer: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post

anyone interested in the extra 1 quart fuel can for a f650gs dakar? im cleaning out some parts and seeing if any interest before i ebay it. thanks!
WTF ?! That's the first I've heard about this It's too small though... bit larger diameter and 1,5-2 times longer so it'd hold maybe a gallon would be interesting. Where do you fill it ?
__________________
'01 F650 Dakar - modified as best I can

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #9572
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: madera california
Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
WTF ?! That's the first I've heard about this It's too small though... bit larger diameter and 1,5-2 times longer so it'd hold maybe a gallon would be interesting. Where do you fill it ?
i made this one for emergency fuel only. it seems when i run out of gas its usually within a few miles of the gas station thinking i can go a bit farther.a few miles pushing a bike feels like 20! i figure the quart will get me about 15 miles which is plenty.i made it pretty simple, i fill it up using a funnel on the top fitting then put the hose back on. the top hose has a vent so it wont build up pressure from riding.i mix a little stable gas treatment so if i dont use it for a long time its keeps it fresh. if i run out of fuel i just pull a little plug at the end of the bottom hose and stick it into the tank, i made the hose long enough to reach the fuel filler.heres a pic of it on the bike.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:38 AM   #9573
Gravel Seeker
Thomas
 
Gravel Seeker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
Oddometer: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
i made this one for emergency fuel only. it seems when i run out of gas its usually within a few miles of the gas station thinking i can go a bit farther.a few miles pushing a bike feels like 20! i figure the quart will get me about 15 miles which is plenty.i made it pretty simple, i fill it up using a funnel on the top fitting then put the hose back on. the top hose has a vent so it wont build up pressure from riding.i mix a little stable gas treatment so if i dont use it for a long time its keeps it fresh. if i run out of fuel i just pull a little plug at the end of the bottom hose and stick it into the tank, i made the hose long enough to reach the fuel filler.heres a pic of it on the bike.
It's a great idea, but I've never* run out of fuel back home so I would only have a use for it on a longer trip where the fuel range wasn't sufficient to get me to the next gas station (like when I was in Australia and I had to buy a 5ltr Jerry can and actually could've used a 10ltr, which of course wouldn't have worked at all with too much weight and not enough room)
* Ran out once when the IMO battery was dying so it didn't log trips properly and gave me a false reading from when I last filled her up.
__________________
'01 F650 Dakar - modified as best I can

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #9574
1911fan
Master of the Obvious
 
1911fan's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: North Central Washington
Oddometer: 2,913
Anybody on this thread live in San Diego?

PM me please.


1911fan
__________________
Read The Patriot Post -- It's Right. It's Free.
http://patriotpost.us/subscribe/

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #9575
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: madera california
Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
It's a great idea, but I've never* run out of fuel back home so I would only have a use for it on a longer trip where the fuel range wasn't sufficient to get me to the next gas station (like when I was in Australia and I had to buy a 5ltr Jerry can and actually could've used a 10ltr, which of course wouldn't have worked at all with too much weight and not enough room)
* Ran out once when the IMO battery was dying so it didn't log trips properly and gave me a false reading from when I last filled her up.
at the time i was trying to keep the weight down so the reserve tank seemed to be good. i almost made one to hold a few gallons but decided not to. nice setup you got there!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #9576
Airhead11
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles. Going to the Sun Road.
Oddometer: 7
Ignition switch

Finally got to the ignition switch- thanks for these very helpful pics! How did you remove the entire piece? I'm trying to follow the cable but not sure where it leads to. Since its raining today, I'm spending most of my time doing online research.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
Might be that your ignition witch finally gave out (cylinder below the key)
Try removing it and clean every contact surface to see if that helps. If not you might need a new switch.

Here's a few pics of how mine looked when I had to replace it last year. Bike's a 2001 (bough new in fall 2002 and had about 41k miles on it when the switch had to be replaced)



These look bad and I cleaned them up, but it didn't help



Because this was the problem. Filled with crud and actually worn out (cleaning these didn't help either)







Airhead11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #9577
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 2,328
There are threads on ignition switch over at f650, some of the info I put here http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/WiringRepair.html
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #9578
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic
 
Lupin 3rd's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: MoCo LoCo
Oddometer: 529
Bluhduh What's wrong with this photo?



Hint: the thing in the middle is the side stand switch.
Lupin 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #9579
Airhead11
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles. Going to the Sun Road.
Oddometer: 7
Ignition switch

Awesome link, thank you so much. Since my bike got rear ended and dropped, I'm wondering if chaffing or stretching happened then. It was starting after that, it decided not to when I bought it back from the insurance company.



Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
There are threads on ignition switch over at f650, some of the info I put here http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/WiringRepair.html
Airhead11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #9580
nomad5326
Xventurous
 
nomad5326's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: San Diego, Ca
Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Anybody on this thread live in San Diego?

PM me please.


1911fan
Yep.
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #9581
Gravel Seeker
Thomas
 
Gravel Seeker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
Oddometer: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
at the time i was trying to keep the weight down so the reserve tank seemed to be good. i almost made one to hold a few gallons but decided not to. nice setup you got there!
Thanks, it worked very well for a loooooong trip, but has since been reworked.
__________________
'01 F650 Dakar - modified as best I can

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #9582
Gravel Seeker
Thomas
 
Gravel Seeker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
Oddometer: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead11 View Post
Finally got to the ignition switch- thanks for these very helpful pics! How did you remove the entire piece? I'm trying to follow the cable but not sure where it leads to. Since its raining today, I'm spending most of my time doing online research.
To be honest I'm not sure if mine were re-reouted at some point (by myself), since there is very little stock stuff left on my bike, but my cable at least went out on the right side then across to the left in under the frame and into the relay area infront of the battery.

Just remove the panels, battery and the little black lid that covers the relays. Trace the cable and cut all the zipties you have to and you'll figure out where it terminates.

As always, nice link WayneC1
__________________
'01 F650 Dakar - modified as best I can

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #9583
Gravel Seeker
Thomas
 
Gravel Seeker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
Oddometer: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin 3rd View Post


Hint: the thing in the middle is the side stand switch.
Umm....as far as I can see, nothing.

you see, BMW designed it so that after a while the nut would disappear and the switch would melt against the exhaust.... time to do the side-stand-kill-switch-orectomy.... 10 minute job.

Trace the cable from the side stand switch to the right hand side of the bike (down by the skidplate). Undo the contact.

Cut the cable about 2-4 inces/5-10 cm from the connector (on the switch side) and hotwire the stubs (brown and white together). http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...03&postcount=5
Reconnect the cable stub and contact and the bike thinks the side stand is always up. Just be careful not to drive away with the side stand down. Consider this the official disclaimer.
__________________
'01 F650 Dakar - modified as best I can

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #9584
rc mad
Physycotic gecko
 
rc mad's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Deeping About
Oddometer: 1,455
got a quick question for you lot, is it possible to start these bikes without the instruments connected? Long story that i'll tell you in time, it's funny as hell too
__________________
"Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1017669
It's Santa time folks
rc mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #9585
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer
 
LoJack's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: B.G., yo!
Oddometer: 1,500
Sure is. Not sure if the odometer keeps track of the mileage you put on, though.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014