Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #61
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Combining multiple things together is the key I find; heated grips with glove liners, with hippo hands, with heated gloves. In an emergency earlier this year, I ended up layering Thinsulate hiking gloves over* my motorbike winter gloves for some extra warmth. 'Feel' really took a battering and it wasn't that much warmer.

I would have liked to put them inside the gloves like glove liners, but they were just too big.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:11 AM   #62
Medina
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Searching for input on gloves for long road trips and half the tards here are tangled up in arguing about windchill vs. brand names
Got some GREAT info, hippo hands did not work for me, luckily I could return them.
At 70ish and up, the wind resistance was pushing back just enough to make the brake light flicker. Going with some rock mt. covers and will modify to fit-
Medina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:27 AM   #63
gmk999
____ as a Rotax

Oddometer: 496
I've tried them all.. and for dry cold, a good pair of leather thinsulate work gloves does the trick for me everytime for about $30-$50. They are decent in damp weather but if they soak through the cold creeps in I always keep a spare pair of medium priced waterfroof winter riding gloves (like the kind you get at cycle gear in the bargain binat x-mass time) as a backup but I don't like how the membrane inside them slips about or how once they are on they don't go on and off easily. I ride steadily all year in New England.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:41 AM   #64
Medina
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
argh, forgot to add in my post- Feet: Those foot warmers- they stick to the bottom of your sock, then slide into boot. AMAZING
Had them out to the mountains of Pa and back last week, ambient in the shadows was upper 30's, in the sun upper 40's and my feet were amazingly comfortable (used my expensive hunting boots, quality wool socks) I think my feet would be good into the low thirties for extended rides.
My hands...fingers have been broken and smashed working and fighting...they get cold easily. I may just bite the bullet and add grip warmers as well.
If its dry, I ride
Medina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #65
mixxedupmedia
Believes in mahogany

Oddometer: 149
Bootie call

Here's all you need.

[IMG][/IMG]

--MixxedUpMedia
mixxedupmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #66
MitchG
Iron Collector

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxedupmedia View Post
Here's all you need.
Ha! Hate to say it, but I actually like this idea in a twisted sort of way.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:48 AM   #67
tvpierce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchG View Post
Ha! Hate to say it, but I actually like this idea in a twisted sort of way.
Me too!

That's damn resourceful.

"But I had the right of way!" makes a pretty crappy epitaph.
tvpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #68
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpierce View Post
Me too!

That's damn resourceful.
Me three. Unlike the cheesy hippo hands knockoffs, I bet these wouldn't close up at a stop. The holes in the back of the boots where the turn signals are might keep the soles from getting pushed back against the controls by the wind.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:02 AM   #69
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik View Post
Liked the look of those so I bought a set. Tried em today with my Summer gloves and the heaters and my hands got HOT. Admittedly it wasnt very cool out but I wanted to try em. Im happy with the fit and the look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
Me three. Unlike the cheesy hippo hands knockoffs, I bet these wouldn't close up at a stop. The holes in the back of the boots where the turn signals are might keep the soles from getting pushed back against the controls by the wind.
I dont know if these are what You are refferring too but I was impressed with the quality and they stay open due to metal bands in the openings. Im real happy with them. Only thing I noticed is its a little tough to hit the starter or turnsignal buttons because the strap is fitted right at that point when I have them installed.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #70
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 796
If anyone wants a pair of Hippo Hands that were never used I've got a pair I'd bought for a Vstrom I no longer have.
Hit me with a PM

I really like Hippo Hand type covers on bicycles during the winter but find I stop riding my MC before I need them as I can get by with heated gloves down to about 25.
PMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #71
Kt-88
I like everything.

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMC View Post
If anyone wants a pair of Hippo Hands that were never used I've got a pair I'd bought for a Vstrom I no longer have.
Hit me with a PM

I really like Hippo Hand type covers on bicycles during the winter but find I stop riding my MC before I need them as I can get by with heated gloves down to about 25.
Pm'd
Kt-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:51 AM   #72
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
wrap your body with newspapers, they are awesome against the cold. longdistance iceskaters here in europe do it in wintertime.
2712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #73
agent of orange
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
I have rode almost every day to work this year. Up till this year i have put away the sports bikes for good around this time of year. But i picked up a f650 in october and plan on riding most the season up here in nova scotia but the last few weeks i have been looking for a better set of gloves then my a* gauntlets that are perforated. They are ok down till 5c with the heated grips and stock hand guards on my dakar. Friday night it was -4 at midnight when i rode home and even on the short 15 minutes the fingers got pretty chilly and pretty chilly for me is boarder line frozen at certain finger tips lol but they warm up fast infront of the fireplace. I have been reading and looking for different options for cooler riding that works with the heated grips. I have watched lots of reviews by Anthony at revzilla. I think I will go with the Rukka R-Star 2 in 1. Is anyone using them and could give some real world input. Anthony usually has pretty thorough reviews but it seems not many people have commented on any of the Rukka gear at revzilla.
agent of orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #74
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 551
Klim Caldera with some form of wind deflection (Barkbusters for example).

So far has worked for me at 25f ambient and who knows what temp at 70 mph

Heated grips would be the perfect addition to the is setup and is one I am considering for next winter.

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:08 AM   #75
twasp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Gloves for sub zero weather

Pinnacle gloves, or mittens, from Cabella's.com have 150 grams of thinsulate insulation and are very warm in cold temps. They have a leather palm. Not particularly protective, but even cold wet hands will warm up inside them.
Wind protection is a must in cold weather temps. I think a windshield and large multiple spoilers that block the wind to the hands or something like hippo hands will knock about 15 degrees off the wind chill. I can immediately feel the cold even in moderate temps when I move from behind the shield or spoilers.
Keeping the core of the body warm is the first issue, either electric vest or liner or windblocking jacket with insulating layers to keep the cold from penetrating and lowering core body temp. This will keep the warm blood flowing to the hands and feet, without a warm core the body shuts down the blood flow and the extremities chill.
twasp is offline   Reply With Quote