ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #18961
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzacker View Post
Hopefully one thing still works, or your wife will have no use for you...lol...sorry it was an 85 mph fastball. Had to hit it.
Yeah, that still works!

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #18962
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
Yeah, that still works!

We're getting into TMI-land here..
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:44 AM   #18963
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Long blather.........

Quote:
Went for a Lasik consult today and unfortunately Dr no can do, so looks like I may need a lens transplant due to a cataract. Walking around today with mono vision contacts to see how I would do sight-wise after such an operation. At this point no way would I hope on a bike. Hoping it gets better as the day wears on. Have to wear them until 2P. Have never worn contacts and have worn glasses for 50 years. Man, first the teeth now the freakin eyes...
John,

Been through the eye thing since birth. Originally crossed, spent many hours in front of exercise machines (age 3-5) to try and get my eyes to work together. Never sis work and had surgery at 11 where they cut the inboard muscles to straighten them. That was simply a cosmetic thing as I had perfect vision... other only using one eye at a time; the other wandered. Basically, I am an alternator.

After the surgery I became near-sighted. Not terribly bad, but bad enough that I needed glasses to drive and that appeared on my license... in PA and here when I moved. The near-sightedness and extropia plagued me for years.... even delaying the ability for me to get a pilots license until I was around 33. Fortunately, one of the customers at our shop in Lynchburg was a pilot. Also found out that he was the local FAA medical examiner. Told him my plight and he had me meet him at an airport and he took me up. Having only flown a plane “in my mind” many, many times, this was the first time I had to experience it for real. He had me look down and put the plane into the damnest circumstances, just short of being acrobatic. When he said, “Your airplane,” I had to look up, get my attitude bearings, and get it back into straight and level flight without ripping shit apart. We must have done that a half dozen times.

I followed him (hands on the yoke) for the approach and landing. When we got back on the ground he told me that he didn't see any problem, so we started lessons immediately. The requisite medical followed and the nurse failed me because I couldn't line stuff up properly. The doc had me go to a ophthalmologist for a eye exam, and the first words out of his mouth was, “You'll never be able to fly a plane; you won't be able to tell where the end of the runway is.” I told him that I have been living with this condition all of my life and had learned to compensate – NOW – do the fookin' exam and submit your findings to the FAA.

Still taking lessons, the doc called me into his office several weeks later for a “consultation.” Over the course of sitting side-by-side during the lessons, we became good friends and we pretty learned about each other, our families, and all that stuff. He finally held up a little slip of paper, saying,”I know you've bought a house, been divorced, yada-yada..... all the documents pertaining to that stuff are important... and you can lose those. However, DO NOT LOSE this piece of paper.” It was a Waiver of Demonstrated Ability from the FAA that put all of my eye issues with them out the window. I was allowed to get my license, which I did, in the minimum 40 hours. That waiver also came into play when I had to get a Second-Class Medical when I began work on my Commercial and Instrument rating.

The glasses issue went away for flying during a subsequent eye exam (without glasses) using a “real chart,” I passed with no problems. I still needed them, however, to drive. The machines at the DMV always put a glare in my focus.... until the last time I got my license renewed a couple of years ago. I asked if I could try to read the charts without my glasses. Lo and behold, I passed. The restriction finally came off of my driver's license.

I've always been afraid of the Lasik thing. Since I was literally blind for several days after my surgery, I have always been very careful about my eyes. One little oops during the procedure could fook you up for the rest of your life.

With (my) eyes taken care of, time for me to move on to the teeth. The worst case is that I might look like Gabby Hayes, but, I can deal with that.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #18964
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
Oops

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=8221

"I’m lost. I’ve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #18965
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,738
After lunch I was cruising down route 5 en route to Bob's Cycle Barn (CCDR) and came upon a bike towing a trailer...
In this case a dog house, a really nice dog house with wrought iron fencing, lamp posts and of course a dog....apparently I got some of my greasy paws on the lens but you get the idea

Chatted with Bob and took a brief tour of the barn...seems they have cut some more trails around the track...membership is still open, riding is only on sundays until the end of hunting season, just might do it as an
alternative to the FHTC...
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #18966
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 571
[QUOTE=Michhub;20176718]After lunch I was cruising down route 5 en route to Bob's Cycle Barn (CCDR) and came upon a bike towing a trailer...
In this case a dog house, a really nice dog house with wrought iron fencing, lamp posts and of course a dog....apparently I got some of my greasy paws on the lens but you get the idea

Mike,
Nicole & I saw this guy in the burg last week & took a double take...
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #18967
StorckWhip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
After lunch I was cruising down route 5 en route to Bob's Cycle Barn (CCDR) and came upon a bike towing a trailer...

Chatted with Bob and took a brief tour of the barn...seems they have cut some more trails around the track...membership is still open, riding is only on sundays until the end of hunting season, just might do it as an

I got some 3:1 dirtbike instruction there with my wife and a good cycling buddy this past weekend. We rode the small dirt track, the much larger 'grass track' and he took us for a tour down a good bit of the motocross track and some of the trails. It's awesome. For $35/hr, we all rented TTR125s and learned a ton of stuff. While my wife was having a blast remembering how to ride a motorcycle with Bob's help, my good buddy and I were chasing one another around. Bob was super helpful and generous with his time and I'd totally recommend the place to anybody. I was working on drifting the bike out of corners and body position into corners (it took me only one low-side to buy into the weight the front, leg out, and keep your elbows up/out position). The next low side taught me the importance of comitting to the rut/birm situation. I'm not convinced I'd have wanted to ride my Tenere on much of it though (really tight courses/street tires).
StorckWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #18968
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
just might do it as an
You should join! Gabriel and I joined last week. We will be out there this weekend!
Old 12-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #18969
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by StorckWhip View Post
I got some 3:1 dirtbike instruction there with my wife and a good cycling buddy this past weekend. We rode the small dirt track, the much larger 'grass track' and he took us for a tour down a good bit of the motocross track and some of the trails. It's awesome. For $35/hr, we all rented TTR125s and learned a ton of stuff. While my wife was having a blast remembering how to ride a motorcycle with Bob's help, my good buddy and I were chasing one another around. Bob was super helpful and generous with his time and I'd totally recommend the place to anybody. I was working on drifting the bike out of corners and body position into corners (it took me only one low-side to buy into the weight the front, leg out, and keep your elbows up/out position). The next low side taught me the importance of comitting to the rut/birm situation. I'm not convinced I'd have wanted to ride my Tenere on much of it though (really tight courses/street tires).
One can rent dirt bikes there? And there are lessons? Why didn't anyone mention this before! I'm giving them a ring first thing tomorrow!

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #18970
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
One can rent dirt bikes there? And there are lessons? Why didn't anyone mention this before! I'm giving them a ring first thing tomorrow!
You didn't know the secret handshake.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #18971
MGB
ex. BmwDuc

Oddometer: 1,891
Dr. may have done you a favor. I learned something interesting while pursuing this. A couple places did consults and said 'no problem, you're a perfect candidate'.

Then I went to someone a friend recommended, who's nurse put me on at least four machines doing who knows what kind of measurement. Doc ends up telling me "If I were you, I would not do this." He proceeded to explain how some of the parameters by the Doctors who developed the procedures are "best scientific guesses" and not hard science.

Just my 2 cents. I'm sticking with my glasses.

WIth respect to catarac surgery, my mom and a couple friends all had better vision after the surgery. My mom doesn't wear glasses anymore!

Quote:
Went for a Lasik consult today and unfortunately Dr no can do,
Old 12-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #18972
StorckWhip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
I found out about it after getting really, really frustrated at the stupid BMW website and figuring that there absolutely had to be something closer than South Carolina. I'm glad I did. Anyway, it's pretty informal and the rate (as I understand it) is 35/hr with parties >1 or $65/hr for 1 person.
StorckWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #18973
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGB View Post
Dr. may have done you a favor. I learned something interesting while pursuing this. A couple places did consults and said 'no problem, you're a perfect candidate'.

Then I went to someone a friend recommended, who's nurse put me on at least four machines doing who knows what kind of measurement. Doc ends up telling me "If I were you, I would not do this." He proceeded to explain how some of the parameters by the Doctors who developed the procedures are "best scientific guesses" and not hard science.

Just my 2 cents. I'm sticking with my glasses.

WIth respect to catarac surgery, my mom and a couple friends all had better vision after the surgery. My mom doesn't wear glasses anymore!
Spent the entire day from 8AM-4PM at the Eye Surgeon office for my free consult for Lasik. Don't qualify for Lasik due to beginning cataracts, so they fitted me with mono vision contacts so I could see how it would be if I had the surgery for one near and distance sighted eyes. After 2 hours I could not focus my near eye for reading. The MD said women adapt to the mono vision better then men. Then back to MD office to change out mono vision for two contacts for distance. Much better and could see like I had never seen before even with glasses but I would need to use readers/cheaters for reading up close etc. There was a $700 off for Lasik and they will honor that for the cataract surgery but there is a hefty cost for this surgery since it has to be in a surgical unit. $6300 for both eyes. Operation takes 8-9 minutes and they do one eye first then the next one 2 weeks later. The Doc in Williamsburg has done over 10,000 procedures in the past 10 years. Have a end of Jan appt but have plenty of time to change my mind.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #18974
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
Here are some serious Riding Skills

I stumbled into this tonight and thought I should share it. This guy has some serious awsome Riding Skills!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOFimB7ZA

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te0V71sGoxA

More!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te0V71sGoxA

MADSTROM screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 08:55 PM
MADSTROM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:12 AM   #18975
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
WOW! That's something to seriously consider! I will have a look at the schedule. Would anybody else besides Todd consider going down in Jan/Feb for the three day school?
http://www.bmwusa.com/performancecenter#motorcycle-dual

Day #1 Street skills, Day #2 Enduro/off-road skills Day #3 Beautiful Dual Sport Ride $1380. Includes bike rental and lessons from accomplished professional bike/car/truck/Dakar racer Bill Conger!
I'm looking at that, and asking myself why we (local ADVriders) don't set up our own school. We have many with the skills and training already, the land, and the wherewithall. All we would lack would be the big corporate logo, and an "accomplished professional", but we have many "accomplished" amateurs among us.

I look at that price, add the cost of travel, lodging and food, and you're on the high side of $1700 for a long weekend. If anyone wants to come to my place in WV, stay in a beautiful log cabin, be fed incredibly, ride on road, off road, and have one on one instruction for the entire weekend, I'll do it for a $500 donation to our historic preservation fund. I've got a CRF150F for dirt instruction, then you can ride your own for the DS ride.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote