ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #16
mcjunky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
For 1 pieces a cheap alternative is a used 1 piece snowmobile suit or a ski powdersuit, they work great and can be picked up for dirt cheap. Hell I think I may even have my heli hansen powder suit hiding away from the early 90's somewhere in all it's neon orange/light blue awesomeness
mcjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #17
Sabre
Pręt? Allez!

Oddometer: 10,541
My Belstaff Discovery is probably the finest jacket I've ever owned for three-season use (fall-winter-spring). It keeps me warm and dry in ALL weather.

That said, I also have multiple gear disorder (like multiple bike disorder, which I also have), and also like my Darien jacket and liner in all weather.

Also got an Olympia Phantom one-piece suit this past year and looking forward to using it without the insulated liner but with a heated liner instead.

Pants: Darien for the warm half of the year, FirstGear HT insulated the rest of the time. Or Belstaff Pioneer. Always warm and dry in any of these.

Boots: have commuted for years in Gaerne Explorers; properly treated, my feets have never, ever been wet. I have SIDI Discos, but reserve them for off-road use. Recently added a pair of SIDI On Roads, my first boots advertised as waterproof, and I'm really enjoying them a lot. They're easily all-day comfortable and good looking, too.

Gloves: winter weather used to see me break out an inexpensive pair of FirstGear insulated, waterproof gloves. Again, never had wet hands and they're good for most commuting duties, although they've lost some loft over the years and don't really cut it for prolonged brutal cold. Their bulk annoys me, so I got a pair of Warm-n-Safe Ultimate Touring gloves this year. I'm enjoying having heated gloves for the first time in my life. I've always loved my heated grips and started putting a generic version of Hippo Hands on the bike a few years ago, allowing me to wear the warm-weather gloves year-round, still have dry hands and avoid the big bulky gloves.

As the temps drop, I add a thin neck gaitor, which becomes a heavier one as things get really cold.

I've ridding comfortably year-round for decades, but I'm LOVING my new heated gear!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #18
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
One piece suits

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjunky View Post
For 1 pieces a cheap alternative is a used 1 piece snowmobile suit or a ski powdersuit, they work great and can be picked up for dirt cheap. Hell I think I may even have my heli hansen powder suit hiding away from the early 90's somewhere in all it's neon orange/light blue awesomeness
FirstGear one piece suit has been working 6 winters of commuting for me. It's waterproof, breathable and has storm flaps over the big zippers. Best part is price... less than $200 and plenty warm.

Have even worn it as PJ's when solo snow camping in my dome tent. It was cold... the bike didn't leave tracks in the snow.

Plan on getting another if this one ever wears out.

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote