Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
E365 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Any Textile Pants with SECURE Knee Armor?

So I've been looking around at some textile pants and I'm not liking how the knee armor is so loose in some - for example my FirstGear Mesh Tex 2.0 pants. There's NO WAY that knee armor is gonna be where I want it in a crash. My jacket is a Tourmaster Transition 3.0 and it has elastic straps above and below the elbow, thus keeping the elbow armor in place with reasonable confidence.

Are there any pants like this? Or do I need seperate knee armor to wear underneath?
E365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:38 AM   #2
rjsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by E365 View Post
So I've been looking around at some textile pants and I'm not liking how the knee armor is so loose in some - for example my FirstGear Mesh Tex 2.0 pants. There's NO WAY that knee armor is gonna be where I want it in a crash. My jacket is a Tourmaster Transition 3.0 and it has elastic straps above and below the elbow, thus keeping the elbow armor in place with reasonable confidence.

Are there any pants like this? Or do I need seperate knee armor to wear underneath?
Do yourself a favor and ditch the knee armor in the pants, those crappy CE foam pads will NEVER be in the right position at the right time. Their either too high too low or flopping around on the side of your knee.

Get the separate knee armor even the cheap ones will be better then built in armor. And ditch the elastic bands with Velcro straps that hold most of them in place with some nylon fabric straps, much more secure. I'm slowly eliminating all built in armor for pants and jackets, my latest addition are some Icon Stryker shorts that give you real hip protection.

Glad you found a jacket that holds the armor in place my Joe Rocket elbow armor could wind up at my forearm or my bicep when I rode.

Ron W.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:49 AM   #3
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,268
aerostich armour stays in place pretty solid. same for Motoport, providing they are in the right place.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:02 AM   #4
X11-MAN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Aerostich

Aerostich.. Armour does NOT move
X11-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:54 AM   #5
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,430
I've read lots of complaints about Aerostich armor being big pillows that DO move around. That may be true for a quick try-on, but as my Darien gear got broken in the knees (and elbows) start to "set" in the shape of me. Shoulders less so.

I don't know if my old First Gear HT pants fit as baggy as your FG Mesh Tex, but mine were really baggy. The Darien pants are far more slender and are cut like jeans. I really like the way they fit and move and the knee armor feels very planted on my knees.

I got my Darien pants used from an inmate and the fit and sturdy build made me buy the jacket.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:58 AM   #6
AKjitsu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
BMW has several models of pants which keep the armor right where it needs to be. Spendy as hell though.

As the above responder noted, the low cost method is to toss the factory stuff and strap some moto-x armor to your bod. The protection/$ ratio of this method is excellent.
AKjitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:57 AM   #7
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 977
+1 on Motoport.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #8
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas

Oddometer: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by E365 View Post

Have you tried the BMW Summer pants? I love their armor, but the pants are a little spendy. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used pair from Ebay over the winter if that's what you're looking for.
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
Nyarlathotep
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I kept finding the same problem with knee armour being in the wrong place. So I removed it and now wear these:

http://www.knox-armour.co.uk/product...t=flexliteknee

Don't know if you can buy them or the equivelant over your side of the water but they work great. Pull them on like a sock and secure with velcro. All day comfy.
Nyarlathotep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #10
dbg326
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
I bought overpants w/out armor, and use A* knee/shin guards underneath. Spendy for what they are, but comfortable and gives a little more coverage than the neoprene slip on pads.

Out of curiosity rjsurfer, where are you sourcing the nylon straps?
Old 12-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #11
rjsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbg326 View Post
I bought overpants w/out armor, and use A* knee/shin guards underneath. Spendy for what they are, but comfortable and gives a little more coverage than the neoprene slip on pads.

Out of curiosity rjsurfer, where are you sourcing the nylon straps?
Where else Walmart

1" snap closures with 8' of strap, got them in the camping department, there called lashing straps cost about a buck. One end will have to be sewn to one of the attachment points on the brace.

Much more secure than the elastic/velcro straps found on most knee,shin protectors.

Ron W.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #12
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
my motoport has decent armor, but i still wear separate knee/shin armor.... feels far more protective and 'fixed' since it is somewhat locked in place by the boot

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #13
dbg326
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
Where else Walmart

1" snap closures with 8' of strap, got them in the camping department, there called lashing straps cost about a buck. One end will have to be sewn to one of the attachment points on the brace.

Much more secure than the elastic/velcro straps found on most knee,shin protectors.

Ron W.
Naturally, should've guessed! I'll have to steal that from ya, as the velcro is a bit annoying.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #14
tshelver
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
aerostich armour stays in place pretty solid. same for Motoport, providing they are in the right place.
Not on my AD1 pants. I had a slow speed get off / high side in dirt, and the armor moved so much the edge ripped my knee open.

I've not seen any ove-rpants where the armor is a secure fit, including the vaunted Stich.

The one that did work for me were the IXS jeans-style cordura pants, which already came with cupped rubber armor back in 2002. Those have stayed in place in a few get-offs, and if you bend your knee slightly, you cannot move the armor by hand.

Unfortunately they were taken off the market due to price, but likely someone still makes a jeans-type fit with suitable armor that would provide reasonable protection.

Here in SE Asia I ride with Fox knee armor, and IMHO apart from hip protection, when used with my Fly Racing MX pants, I get better protection versus any of the Stich and other name brand pants even with the lower legs zipped off.

That's based on several falls with and without gear over the years.
'06 Husky TE610 (gone)
tshelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #15
Snr Moment
Unafarkler

Oddometer: 2,189
Crash tested my Darien pants. Nothing moved & pants survived. Blunt force trauma crash, so they were pushed hard.
Rev-It jacket with the larger CE armor spine pad did its job as did the shoulder & elbow pads too. They cut off the jacket, but I sold the pads later. Would get the same gear again when I can ride again.

YAAK
Snr Moment is offline   Reply With Quote