User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 07:18 AM   #1
syzygy9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Happy Trails Cascade or Jesse Odyssey 2 for KTM 990

I have been using soft luggage (Andy Strapz) and would like to supplement with some hard luggage. Prime requirement is narrowness so wiiiiide Touratechs won't cut it. The HT Cascades (7.5 inch, 38.5 L) and the Jesse Odyssey 2 (8 inch, 40 L) both run at about 91 cm total width and seem the obvious choice.

Both seem equally good, similarly priced and about the same volumes. Jesse's angular shape could be a pain to bang out in the event of a fall (I fall a lot, though mostly low speed drops in sand) but being able to move them forward is appealing. The HT's seem to be good honest straightforward panniers.

Any insights pointing one way or another from the wise people here on advrider.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
Here's a current thread.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843671

Having owned both, I would go Jesse's all the way.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
syzygy9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the pointer but I was hoping to get some real life reviews of both. I have scanned all the threads on advrider and elsewhere but solid info seems a bit thin.

The fact that you had both bags and preferred the Jesses is exactly the sort of insight I am seeking. Any reason you preferred the Jesses so strongly?
Old 12-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #4
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
If the price is close at all, there is no comparison in quality, IMHO. Having owned both, I would only purchase the Happy Trails if I couldn't afford something better. And all the others are *better* in my experience. As noted by many others, HT doesn't pay particular attention to build specs. They tell customers to use a big hammer to beat the frame into submission. And they have told more than one customer that it is the manufacurers (such as BMW) making bent frames....not a problem with their boxes. That's what they told me.

My Jesses were on my 1200GS through Baja and Copper Canyon. Exceptional fit, build quality and strength. After the 1200, I had Touratechs on an 1150GS. They are also well-made, and probably lighter, but I'm not sure. I like the look of the TTs a little more.

Be happy to add anything else you need.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,023
I've had both too, Jesse's on my KLR (odd combo, I know) and HT Cascades on my current Strom. I had no complaints with the Jesse's and don't much mind the HT's either. I got the HT's on a scratch and dent sale, roughly half the price of the Jesse's. They're not perfect, the holes required a bit of elongation to fit right but I like the simplicity and the loops on the lid. The racks aren't perfect, but they aren't bad, sturdy enough to haul the ass end of the bike around as needed and the "bumper" on the back seems handy.

Anyway, the choice is yours, if you can afford the Jesse's and really want em, buy em. If you're ok with compromising a bit, get the HT's and save the leftover money for hookers and drugs :).

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #6
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post
Thanks for the pointer but I was hoping to get some real life reviews of both. I have scanned all the threads on advrider and elsewhere but solid info seems a bit thin.

The fact that you had both bags and preferred the Jesses is exactly the sort of insight I am seeking. Any reason you preferred the Jesses so strongly?
I have the Jesse Odyssey on both my KTM 990s and the 9" Safari 2 on my Triumph 800. Also have a set of Happy Trail boxes on my KLR.

The Happy Trail boxes are inferior in every way when compared to the Jesses. Design, construction, finish and the mounting system. If cost is a major factor in picking luggage then sure, the HT boxes are the way to go. But like everything else, you get what you pay for and you must be willing to compromise in all aspects for the money you saved.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
syzygy9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi Rick,

I am looking at the 8inch Jesses or 7.5inch HTs also on a KTM 990. Can you tell me what the width and the volume of the Jesses are on your KTM. A bit hard to determine, I have read contradictory specs but seems to be around 40L and 90cm? Also how heavy are these boxes?

Thanks
Old 12-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #8
roostar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
I've had both. Currently running with HT's and like em just fine. I'm not one of those guys that needs the very best of everything. I like the basic design of the HT's as well as the price. After all, I'm not driving a Lexus, it's an adventure bike.
roostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:30 AM   #9
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post
Hi Rick,

I am looking at the 8inch Jesses or 7.5inch HTs also on a KTM 990. Can you tell me what the width and the volume of the Jesses are on your KTM. A bit hard to determine, I have read contradictory specs but seems to be around 40L and 90cm? Also how heavy are these boxes?

Thanks
I have not done any checking to see if the volume quoted is exact, but yes they are rated at 41L each and are 90cm wide. I have not put them on a scale, but would guess the set weights about 25lbs mounted. Each bag is about 8lbs.

I did a test pack to see if I could get everything on the bike for the 45 day Trans Canada Adventure Trail that I will be doing next summer and everything fit easily into the two Jesses and a medium sized duffle bag. Based on that, I doubt many riders will need more capacity than these bags offer.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:39 AM   #10
syzygy9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West View Post
I have not done any checking to see if the volume quoted is exact, but yes they are rated at 41L each and are 90cm wide. I have not put them on a scale, but would guess the set weights about 25lbs mounted. Each bag is about 8lbs.

I did a test pack to see if I could get everything on the bike for the 45 day Trans Canada Adventure Trail that I will be doing next summer and everything fit easily into the two Jesses and a medium sized duffle bag. Based on that, I doubt many riders will need more capacity than these bags offer.
Thanks for the update. On my last trip I ran 2x 20L soft bags but had a large 50L bag on the rear rack. Made the bike too top heavy and want to get everything into two panniers, low and centered, and everything off the rear rack. I figure I could get pretty much everything into the panniers.