Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #16
shireman
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Susquehanna motor sports, www.rallylights.com 610-944-3233. They really know lighting. I have a pair of 4"
Hid's on our Rubicon that are great. Will at Rally knows his stuff.
shireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #17
BLU HWY
Guilty By-Stander

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Dawg View Post
Four inch halogen dinner plates are a bit yesterday aren't they?

Another dinosaur for 6 1/2" dinner plates.

Photobucket

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=73

Lotsa' options in Oilheads: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238150
Old 11-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #18
mwood7800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 614
Led do make a spot worth a shit
mwood7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #19
nealcassady
Novice

Oddometer: 368
PIAA 510 gets the job done... unless you're motivated to drop serious bucks for whatever reason. Simple, effective, inexpensive, and bulbs are available at any auto parts store. I inherited a set on my current ride and thought at first that they were merely decoration. Then I figured out that the beams weren't adjusted properly and the previous owner had put low wattage bulbs in to reduce the the draw. I switched back to standard 55w bulbs and adjusted the beams according to PIAA instructions and found that they're quite effective. They throw nice, normal-colored halogen driving light beam down the road well ahead of the high beam.

My experience is that they're more useful than much brighter driving lights. I once had a bike with PIAA 910s and 110w bulbs in each light. They would absolutely light up the night, but when meeting traffic I had to switch them off and I'd go instantly from the 910s plus high beam (had them wired to the high beam) down to low beam only. Since my eyes would be adjusted to the extremely bright light I'd be almost blind until my eyes readjusted. So for use on the highway I'd suggest thinking in relative terms to the bike's high and low beam output when selecting driving lights.
nealcassady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #20
Tessitori
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Not to hijack the thread ... but what is highest wattage bulbs you guys have installed on the PIAA 510's? I see 85 watt and 120 watt bulbs available.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:28 AM   #21
alaninsea
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Like the Krista Clearwater Lights too, but they are LED (know you're looking for halogen). Heard from the BMW Shop the Police Department in Phoenix is starting to use them as their takedown Lights.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #22
VincitOmnia
Flyover Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
RIGID Dually

I mounted a set of the RIGID Dually D2's on my GSA and spliced in the waterproof PIAA switch. They are awesome! Most of the time I run them with the yellow covers on since it tends to be foggy during my morning commute. With the covers on they don't annoy other drivers either. At night if there are deer out I take the covers off to maximize the output and they are unbelievably bright. You can't even tell whether the stock high beam is on or off. I mounted the switch inside the left hand grip protector so a simple bump with my finger turns them on/off. Makes it really easy to turn off if someone flashes their lights at you.

VO
VincitOmnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:28 AM   #23
keithmckenney
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Rigid industries D1

I agree with the above post but I intalled the D1 (first generation) LEDs from Rigid and think they are great. The yellow 'lens' is easily added and I run one on the right and none on the left to provide a different kind of picture for oncoming traffic.

Lightforce makes some awesome lights, in 4 inch or perhaps 3.5 inch and six or seven inch. They can be rotated to move from flood to spot depending on driving conditions and can be equiped with different color covers for fog/other applications. There are really well made, rugged and very reasonably priced. And they are from Oz.

I run both Lightforce and Rigid D1s on my R1200GS in addition to an HID low beam and a modulated high beam. I run a yellow lens on the left lightforce and a yellow lens on the right Rigid LED. There is no question that more drivers see me coming and that is part of what the lights are there for.
keithmckenney is offline   Reply With Quote