Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #331
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,183
^I haven't used it, but that won't stop me from talking about it.

I have the "regular" type jack rather than this "high position" jack, and I see no advantage with the "high jack".

The column and cylinder seem to block access to one side of the bike when in use.
It has only two wheels for use when the jack is unloaded. One of the best things about the regular style is that you can easily move your bike around the shop with it up on the jack with one or more wheels off. Not so w/the "high boy".
It costs about twice what the regular jack does.

It shares the same bad point as the regular jack, in that it requires a bike have a straight, flat frame under the engine with no low hanging pipes or bodywork (I use mine for HDs, ATVs and dirt bikes).

Okay, I can see one small plus for "high-falutin" - it would be easier to position a drain pan under.
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #332
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by HapHazard View Post
^I haven't used it, but that won't stop me from talking about it.

It shares the same bad point as the regular jack, in that it requires a bike have a straight, flat frame under the engine with no low hanging pipes or bodywork (I use mine for HDs, ATVs and dirt bikes).

Okay, I can see one small plus for "high-falutin" - it would be easier to position a drain pan under.

It lifts the bike in the air, both wheels off the ground so no need for anything under the engine. That is why it would be good for my Moto Guzzi. I guess you are comparing it to the small under bike lift, I was comparing it the 100# table lift that was being discussed. This looks like I can lift the bike off the ground with nothing under it and pull the wheels etc off. Gets very good reviews on HF, not all things do.

Edit, here is a youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAsS5TCaZOM Now I have a better understanding of it and see that it does pick it up from underneath. Somehow I thought it lifted from above, duh. Could come in handy, good capacity, can double as a lift table, but may not help my engine/framed Guzzi.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220

barko1 screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 06:15 PM
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #333
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,447
We have one of those in the shop. It works well on some bikes. It works for about half of the cruisers, HDs and HD clones. As long as the frame rails are below the engine. The rest have the engine drop down below the frame rails and/or the spacing of the forks are wrong.
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #334
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,320
I picked up one of their small impact drivers several months ago, and have used it a number of times to loosen stubborn carb screws.

In that application, it works fine. A bonus is that several of the bits seem to be of the JIS variety and they fit the Phillip head screws used in carbs perfectly.

Not silly enough to use it for anything heavier than that. Heavy duty stuff gets whacked with a 1/2" drive JC Whitney driver I bought over 30 years ago. Anything else gets an application of impact from an air impact driver.

For me, I'd rate this tool a 10.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #335
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,695
Three years into my HF motorcycle lift ownership and I still rate it as a buy. I don't use it every day or every week but I am jacking up one of mine or a buddy's bike at least once a month. It is not pretty anymore and the paint has kinda faded but it still works great!
It also doubles as a parking place for my KLR and here is a pic from this morning:

The folding allen wrenches are garbage IMO. Don't waste your money, the Kobalt ones were much better although I think that they were chinese as well.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #336
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post
Three years into my HF motorcycle lift ownership and I still rate it as a buy. I don't use it every day or every week but I am jacking up one of mine or a buddy's bike at least once a month. It is not pretty anymore and the paint has kinda faded but it still works great!
It also doubles as a parking place for my KLR and here is a pic from this morning:

The folding allen wrenches are garbage IMO. Don't waste your money, the Kobalt ones were much better although I think that they were chinese as well.
Nearly 5 years old and mine still works well. I use it a bit more than you, so wear is showing some. You must be exposing yours to the sun for the paint to fade like that. Mine is unfaded.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #337
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Nearly 5 years old and mine still works well. I use it a bit more than you, so wear is showing some. You must be exposing yours to the sun for the paint to fade like that. Mine is unfaded.

Jim
Hey Jim.

Yeah, my garage door is usually open in the afternoon when junior gets home from school and the Florida sun beats on it pretty hard. I 'm happy to hear that I can expect 2 more years outta my lift.....

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #338
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,406
I am Canadian, so don't shop there too often. Never found more than $100.00 or so of junk to buy in the store, but may have something to do with visiting on my motorcycle with the travelling gear....not much room for more junk.

But I was looking for cheap long straight Allen sockets, yes they had to be cheap, I have good Allens coming out of the a...e here. So far so good, engagement on the bolts is very good and haven't broken one yet. Yes...I did put a couple of them in the vise and applied torque. And yes I am weary of them black metal tools, had an Allen snap in my hand once and punch my finger rather nastily.

Any more pics of that lift ????
Old 12-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #339
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
I've had pretty good experience with the few things I've gotten from HF. I got the torque wrench, and though I don't have anything to test it against calibration wise, it feels like it's right for the settings. Been using it for a couple years now and it still works fine, I always make sure to loosen it all the way when I'm done with it, which I think helps a lot. Also have a breaker bar that's come in handy on a number of occasions. I've used some of the metal bar clamps and they work well. I had originally wanted to pick up the plastic squeeze handle ones, since they were cheap and I like the ones made by Irwin. But I could feel that they wanted to fall apart with the lightest pressure so spent a couple more bucks on the metal ones, and they've served their purpose well.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #340
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post

Since I started working on HDs, I bought the short allen and torx bits and they are unreservedly great. Recently I've come up against some situations that require the longer reach types, so they'll be in my stocking this Christmas.
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #341
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,659
Visited the Man Store today, picked up a few items. Two of note:

Works for my HF flux welder. Plus it holds my HF sand blaster perfectly.

Now to figure out where to put it.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #342
Thunder Strike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
good enough

I am new to this hobby, and I didn't know how much time and money it would take to maintain (and mod) the motorbike.
It get addicting especially when you can't ride due to rain, or injury. :)
From harbor freight I got the motorcycle jack, a set of allen wrenches, and a set of box end wrenches, oh,,,and a few tire spoons.
I changed my back tire yesterday (and put holes in the tube, so today I can't ride).
So far it's all good enough.
Thunder Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #343
KeithinSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
I had originally wanted to pick up the plastic squeeze handle ones, since they were cheap and I like the ones made by Irwin. But I could feel that they wanted to fall apart with the lightest pressure so spent a couple more bucks on the metal ones, and they've served their purpose well.

Avoid these plastic squeeze clamps. Absolute crap. I bought two on sale for $2 each. Even at that price I got gypped! My Irwin clamps on the other hand, are great.
KeithinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #344
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 670
vacuum brake bleeder

I got one of these vacuum brake bleeders and it works great for bikes and cars. Remove the top off the master cylinder and suck out the old fluid. Put the top back on and collapse the calipers as much as possible, this will push old fluid back into the master cylinder. Suck out the old fluid again. Refill the master cylinder with new fluid, hook up the bleeder vacuum rubber fitting/port on long the hose to the caliper bleeder screw (8mm on every bike I've done), crack it open and suck away till the fluid comes clean and new then tighten it. Be sure not to let the fluid level get low in the master cylinder or it will get air in the system and you may be . Top it off, apply the brake lever a few times to set the calipers (this is the only time you touch the lever during the procedure), recheck the fluid level and your finished within minutes.
Use caution not to spill brake fluid on anything, it eats plastic and paint and....

I have never used the plastic bottle on the right.

Brake fluid washes off very easily with water, the hotter the better. You can wash out the bottle and lines this way.

Gillus screwed with this post 12-18-2012 at 01:29 PM Reason: ad text
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #345
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,395
Anybody used one of these?

We're moving g-ma in and need a reasonably priced option for getting her Powerchair out on the town.

http://www.harborfreight.com/aluminu...ier-67599.html

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is online now   Reply With Quote