User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
Ironwood OP
Friday Harbor, WA

Oddometer: 722
2001 Tiger tubeless rim question.

I have two sets of wheels for my 2001 Tiger. I sealed up the rear to go tubeless with no issues. The rim is definitely tubeless with a safety bead formed into the rim.

When I removed the front tire to seal the wheel, I found it didn't have the same safety bead as the rear. It had a good wide flat for the tire to seat on and against, but no safety bead. It still took a bead breaker to demount the tire but not as much force required to do so.

I am still planning on running these tubeless. Am I wrong to want to do this? Joe
Ironwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
CycleDoc59
Wrench Rider

Oddometer: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
I have two sets of wheels for my 2001 Tiger. I sealed up the rear to go tubeless with no issues. The rim is definitely tubeless with a safety bead formed into the rim.

When I removed the front tire to seal the wheel, I found it didn't have the same safety bead as the rear. It had a good wide flat for the tire to seat on and against, but no safety bead. It still took a bead breaker to demount the tire but not as much force required to do so.

I am still planning on running these tubeless. Am I wrong to want to do this? Joe
Good question. I sealed the rear wheel on my KLR, but not the front; mostly because
flat front tires are rare, but rear flats are common, and tubeless is way easier to fix.
A friend sealed both front and rear on his Tiger some 50K miles ago...no issue to date.
There is no difference in safety concerns between having a tube in there or not;
either can go flat in a instant.
CycleDoc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
Ironwood OP
Friday Harbor, WA

Oddometer: 722
My concern is with the tire losing pressure and the bead coming off the rim before I could stop the bike. All I had read about the Tigers was they had tubeless rims. But that only seems to hold true for the rear. It is an unlikely possibility but a chance none the less.
Ironwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:40 AM   #4
CycleDoc59
Wrench Rider

Oddometer: 884
Quote:
My concern is with the tire losing pressure and the bead coming off the rim before I could stop the bike. All I had read about the Tigers was they had tubeless rims. But that only seems to hold true for the rear. It is an unlikely possibility but a chance none the less.
Mine also, but it makes no difference. If the front goes flat, having a tube won't help hold
the tire in place. But, again, flat front tires due to punctures are rare....
CycleDoc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #5
johnny_killmore
3-wheeled Drifter

Oddometer: 302
Woody's Wheel Works is on this forum in the vendor area and other areas as well. I have read several times about not running tubeless tires without the safety bead, but I never really got a solid reason outside of "they are not designed for that." I have no 1st hand experience to help you with. People have fit tubeless tires to rims with no safety bead with success. The danger seems to be in running low tire pressures, as hitting a rock can momentarily bread the bead, possibly cause rapid deflation. Have not heard of this happening on the road, but I'm not the most knowledgeable on the subject either.
-Johnny
www.sra-west.us
johnny_killmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
motorat
TBD

Oddometer: 848
just seal it and run a tube in it.

i don't know if this will work but i don't see why it won't
Old 12-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
mustang
Lurker Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 626
Quote:

many folks have done it before you and the sky did not fall ...............
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:11 PM   #8
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Perhaps by next fall we won't have to worry about sealing spoke wheels and issues with no safety bead. I enquired about using the Tubliss system in an LC4 640 Enduro and being able to run at highway speeds should I decide to tour on it. As an early adopter of the Tubliss for dirt bikes (450X), I have to say I like it very much and have only replaced the high pressure tube twice (2 front, 2 rear) over 5 years. This was to be expected and it was still much less expensive than going through an average of 6 total UHD inner tubes each year. This doesn't count 2 tubes that I pinch myself during installation either. Problem is, even out in the desert, I rarely exceeded 55 mph and only in pretty short bursts. So, highway use was a BIG question for me. This is a response I got from Jeff @ Tubliss:

The short answer is that TUbliss is for off-road use only. It is NOT dot and we have NOT tested for on-road use. Also we don't want to incur the liability that comes with on-road use. AND = I also believe that standard tubes are NOT safe for on-road use, so I'm also trying to stay consistent with my beliefs!

With all this being said, please also know that we ARE working on a different product that accomplishes what TUbliss does that will be for on-road use. However this is at least 6-9 months away still.