Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 09:44 PM   #31
F800ekelley OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Side comment I will not be eating burger king or mcdonalds as those foods make me very lazy and tired I have fruit packed and natual ways to stay awake no enegry drinks as those make u crash
F800ekelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #32
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Drivers in Texas pull over when they can to be courteous. People from other states do not realize why we do it. To outsiders that may be weird but not among us. And yes, riding in Texas can be brutal, hydrate, hydrate, and then drink some more water. Smart water is even better that time of year. Trust me, I know. Riding in Texas for over 35 years will teach you alot.

First time I witnessed this, it was a big rig rolling along at a pretty good clip. Once I figured out what he was doing, I had to wring out the SV650s to get around him. I acknowledged him with a wave and have thought Texans were some of the nicest people since. Not long after that, my sister in law and her husband moved to Texas so I get to experience the courtesy pull over at least once a year when I visit.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #33
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,634
2400 miles. Three days. 800 miles per day. That's 12-14 hours each day.

Completely do-able. However, there won't be much time for sightseeing and sitdown meals.

The short way would have you take I-44 between OKC and STL, to get from I-40 to I-70... That would allow you the opportunity for some great twisties in The Ozarks.

I can personally say that Fayetteville AR to St Louis on all twisty backroads will take you 8-9 hours. I-44 cuts that time in half.

If you're running ahead of schedule at Tulsa, take US-412 East. At Siloam Springs, take AR-16 East. You'll stay on AR-16 to Clinton. At Clinton, take AR-9 North. At the State Line, cross into Missouri and grab MO-19 at Thayer. Follow MO-19 North all the way to Cuba. Then, get back on I-44 and continue on.

You will have had your fill of Ozarks twisties by the time you reconnect with I-44. It's 600 miles from Tulsa to St Louis on this route, and you will have had a full day of riding by the time you see St Louis.

Ozarks Google Map Link

It's just over 1,000 miles from Phoenix to Tulsa. On those western highways, that's a 15 or 16 hour ride. If you knocked that out the 1st day, got a hot shower and a night's rest, you could hit the Ozarks on day two. Phoenix to Tulsa Google Map Link .

On Day three, St Louis to Philadelphia. You'll have 14 or 15 hours of I-70 droning for the final 900 miles. STL to Philly Google Map Link .
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

rocker59 screwed with this post 11-30-2012 at 10:26 PM
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #34
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 760
Leaving at noon everyday will mean spending most of your time riding at night which means you'll have to slow way down to not outrun your lights. I'd invest in the most powerful lights your bike can handle.
There are SO many suicidal deer out there...no way I'd ride at night. Trying to stay focused and alert at night will sap your energy.
I'll take my chances with LEO's and traffic I can see over deer anytime.
Add more days, avoid all highways, taste the steak, see the sights, sit by a river, take some pics, live to tell about it.
I get walking directions on google maps and start from there. It's a crow flies route with no highways then drag route to twisty roads on the way.

If you're going to stick to the highways you might as well trailer it or buy a Goldwing.
My $.02.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #35
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,058
Agreed about the deer. Even if you see them you cannot predict what they will do.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #36
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,388
From 0600 to 2200....ride. Let the miles take care of themselves.

Long distance riding is about logging miles not sight seeing.

I am a realist...not a doubter....good luck on doing this day after day in the heat but as an avid night rider I know you have to be on your game and not tired covering long distances at night or it will end badly. Better to stick to the daylight hours and there will be a lot of them in the summer.

But you do as you see fit
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #37
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Boeing.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #38
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
What the heck will you be doing until noon everyday? Holy, by that time I have been riding six hours at least already. And night riding is stressful and fatiguing. But, when I have to ride at night there are more trucks on the road and I use them as blockers for deer.

I stay pretty much in the left lane and away from the right lane closest to the wooded areas so if one comes from the opposite side, I hope to see it running across the median first and if it comes from the same side of the road as me,hopefully it will slam into a truck before me.

thats my theory anyway........

But trying to stay alert and focussed after a long day of riding already,well, good luck. Not saying it cant be done,but its certainly not without significant risks.
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #39
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 7,057
Ok, I'll bite...

In 2009 or 2010 I rode from Phoenix to Tucson to El Paso to Dallas to Madison. I made pretty good time from Dallas to Madison: 13.5 hours.

I've ridden from Madison to LA in a little over 48 hours, and from Madison to Seattle in just under 48 hours.

I've driven a car from Madison to New York in 17 hours. This I've done several times.

After the ride from Dallas to Madison, I got into my truck and drove to Minneapolis.

Three days from Phoenix to Philly will be tiring, but otherwise easy.

You'll have to stick to interstate highways and you'll want to go about 7-9 mph over the speed limit.

Go to the IBA website for info. Especially on lights, diet, hydration, fuel, road hazards, basic bike prep, basic bike maintenance, and all kinds of shit you need to know.

I used to like this kind of thing. Somewhere between St. Louis and Madison, after riding close to 100 mph all the way from Dallas, I stopped liking it at much.

I would offer a little bit of a different opinion on the practicing. I would say, Don't Practice. Because ignorance is bliss. The first time I rode 1000 miles, I actually rode closer to 1500, and by the end, I'd ridden from Tampico, Mexico, to Madison, WI in about 72 hours.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #40
biosci
Tumbleweed54473

Oddometer: 190
Across USA 3 Days

Ride your own ride. Enjoy the experience. The memories ALWAYS outlast the discomfort.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #41
F800ekelley OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
WOW bannanaman thanks for the advise i have been reading alot of the IBA stuff didnt realize all the information out there but the bike maintance and hydration i got down, hard part is ur never fully prepared, nor know when something will happen. i amloading up the lights with ground lights led, led on the front sjsppension and trying to rig something for the swing arm. Hopfully when i am done i will look like a traveling circuus of lights so visibility will not be an issue also i stocked up on reflective tape and got a helmet with a light in it it looks dumb but visibility is important. Having a 4 gallon tank is whats going to kill me that means stoping every 3 hours for gas. I have seen some iba guys have a fuel cell instead of a passanger seat and some wierd riggings i might think of something like that to add 4 gallons since all the riding is highway an 8 gallon tank would be nice. And not stoping every 3 hours would be cool.
F800ekelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #42
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,058
You will be welcoming those stops at some point; and be careful with the lights. You may attract more police attention than you want. Just because you can buy the lights doesn't make them legal in all jurisdictions.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #43
Qaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
I don't see what all the fuss is about. This is a good 2 day ride or a relaxed 2 1/2 day ride or an easy 3 day ride, take your pick. As far as advice, I offer none because you have already recieve good and bad advice and I think you will figure out which was which on this ride! Good luck!
Qaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #44
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaz View Post
I don't see what all the fuss is about. This is a good 2 day ride or a relaxed 2 1/2 day ride or an easy 3 day ride, take your pick. As far as advice, I offer none because you have already recieve good and bad advice and I think you will figure out which was which on this ride! Good luck!

2300+ miles according to Google Maps, and that's likely the most direct route. It won't be a fun 2-3 day ride, regardless of how you cut it. Sure it can be done, but the OP really doesn't have time to stop and smell the roses.

I don't think anyone is trying to discourage him. Having done 1000+ mile days (under 24 hours), I can certainly say that they suck. Doing back to back 1000 mile days or back to back to back 800 mile days will really blow. Sometimes though it is a necessary evil. The OP seems to have the right attitude, and that alone is what will make the difference.

Good luck with your ride. Keep a positive attitude and you'll be fine.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #45
TheRoss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysouth View Post
Having done 1000+ mile days (under 24 hours), I can certainly say that they suck. Doing back to back 1000 mile days or back to back to back 800 mile days will really blow.
I absolutely disagree. But for 1000 mile days to be enjoyable takes practice. If the OP is not in the habit of this kind of long distance riding, he may not enjoy the experience as much as I do.

Bottom line... go out and try it. And do not be afraid to throw in the towel and grab a motel room if you feel you can not safely continue. No trip is worth crashing for.
TheRoss is offline   Reply With Quote