ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
alex3610 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
VA - Obtain title with no MCO ...

Hey everyone. Wondering if I am wasting my time here. Found a great deal on an XR650R, but it has no title and no Manufacturers Certificate of Origin. Is there anyway I could somehow title this bike with just a bill of sale? Ultimate goal here would be to put on the baja designs kit, a plate, and dual sport this thing! Am I just dreaming?
Thanks!
alex3610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,355
see http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/pdf/dmv177.pdf

and http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/pdf/sut1.pdf

and http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/pdf/vsa86.pdf
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
alex3610 OP
n00b

The SUT 1 form makes it sound like that is all you really need to title a bike with no MSO or Title. Very interesting. The form VSA86 doesn't really address this scenario as far as I can tell but this is very encouraging. Anyone here actually gone through this process before and been successful?
Thanks for the reply!
Old 12-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex3610 View Post
The SUT 1 form makes it sound like that is all you really need to title a bike with no MSO or Title. Very interesting. The form VSA86 doesn't really address this scenario as far as I can tell but this is very encouraging. Anyone here actually gone through this process before and been successful?
Thanks for the reply!
Was it ever street legal...in VA? If so, you should be good to go! If not, when they check the data base and see it was for off road use only, then you will have problems.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
alex3610 OP
n00b

It's an XR650R, so never was street legal in VA. Bike was built in 2000. I would _assume_ the original MCO stated Off Road Use only, but how would VA know this? Or is this something they can easily tell just from the VIN? I've seen R's tagged on the street in this state before, so there has to be SOME way to make it work.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It's an XR650R, so never was street legal in VA. Bike was built in 2000. I would _assume_ the original MCO stated Off Road Use only, but how would VA know this? Or is this something they can easily tell just from the VIN? I've seen R's tagged on the street in this state before, so there has to be SOME way to make it work.
They are dual sported new, in the dealer, before they are titled to the original owner. The XR650R is an off road bike to the DMV...unless it was titled as on road when new. I think some states you can do this after it is considered used but I'm sure VA isn't one of those states.
Why doesn't the owner have the title? Did he/she say if it was a title or MCO that they used to have?

Personally, for me and a bike like that, no title/MCO, no deal...unless of course it's free!

Good luck!

Old 12-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
alex3610 OP
n00b

Not totally sure on the history of why there is no MCO. It's fairly obvious that this bike has lived off road since its birth in 2000, and through more than one owner it doesn't shock me as strange to not have that paperwork at this point. It's a good deal, but it isn't free, and I am definitely a bit apprehensive about this before i know what I am truly getting myself into. From other anecdotal evidence I've gathered, it seems like IF you had the MCO, it is simply a crap shoot whether your DMV will issue you a title or not. Since the MCO says off-road only they are not supposed to, but many DMV offices (apparently in the rural areas more so) don't seem to care or know any better and do it anyway. But not having that MCO could be a major stumbling block.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #8
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,823
Last I checked VA was a title 4 title state. Meaning if it doesn't come with a title, you're out of luck and of course then you cant get it plated without a title either.

At least that's whatvinwas told at the DMV earlier this year.
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #9
woods wizard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 713
Yes , I think its the 10th digit in the VIN # that gives it away. .I was gonna plate my Honda 450x, got the paper work to start on it. Its a long involved process of documenting the changes made , sending in pictures of the mods. Then having a state trooper come out & inspect . More paper work & so on so forth. I beleive they closed this loophole , but not sure. Call DMV & ask if this can still be done. All Offroad bikes from Japan have this # in the VIN. European bikes only say Motorcycle & dont have this letter in the VIN which makes it easy to get a plate. Then you just have to get it inspected. That siad , I have a freind who got a YZ 250 2T plated w ease somehow at a country store DMV a couple of years ago.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
but many DMV offices (apparently in the rural areas more so) don't seem to care or know any better and do it anyway. But not having that MCO could be a major stumbling block.
I'm sure if they are aware they'll be checking.
I believe one person(in another state that is as strict as VA) placed some sticker or other paperwork over the "Off road use only" on the MCO and got away with it.
There were two, three street legal XRR's for sale here not too long ago but they probably weren't as good a price.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #11
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,357
I had a tagged XRR. I also tagged two DRZ's. I went in with my MCO or "Off road use only title" and made small chat. Walked out with my tags.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #12
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,823
I guess it's like anything else; it just depends who you end up talking to when you go to the DMV and what kind of a mood they're in!

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is online now   Reply With Quote