User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
TheWorstKind OP
In the Wind

Oddometer: 860
Hot Valve Cover?

Did the 18,000 miles service on my 2011 GS Adventure today. Bike was purchased new December 29th 2011. Look at the differences in color between the two valve covers: the normal colored one is the right cylinder, the dark one is the left. 2000 miles ago the dealer replaced a leaking cam chain tensioner seal on the left side. Makes me go "hmmmmmm........". Also, the forward valve cover fastener can be completely backed out of the cover because the rubber grommet under the integral bolt washer comes out of the valve cover. Maybe a little thermal expansion? So, what would cause this? Did the left cyclinder run way hot? Any tips are much appreciated. I take some comfort in the fact that the bike is still under warranty, but I do hope this isn't something serious. By the way, the thing has been running like a champ!

Give it more gas, if it doesn't solve the problem it will at least end the suspense.
TheWorstKind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,560
Wait, the "left" is looking hot? Seems backwards by the photos.

As for the rubber being loose, they are OK to be loose, so long as they do not leak.

IMHO, likely you have a pair of valve covers that came from a different run. One has a dark inside coating, one doesn't.

Jim

Edit, you should reverse your photo, it is confusing. My original postulation stands.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
TheWorstKind OP
In the Wind

Oddometer: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Wait, the "left" is looking hot? Seems backwards by the photos.

As for the rubber being loose, they are OK to be loose, so long as they do not leak.

IMHO, likely you have a pair of valve covers that came from a different run. One has a dark inside coating, one doesn't.

Jim
Just picture the front wheel pointing towards the bottom of the monitor, that should fix any disorientation created by my unconvential photography.

No, no leaks from the rubber.

The left valve cover had always been a little darker, now it is just very pronounced.

Thanks for the input, Jim. I'm glad you didn't come back with the kiss of death of "failed flux capacitor", or something dreadful like that. For what its worth, all valves are in spec, though three on the left cylinder went up one feeler gage thickness, while on the right cylinder one valve went up one, and another went DOWN one.

Give it more gas, if it doesn't solve the problem it will at least end the suspense.
TheWorstKind is offline   Reply With Quote