Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Alaska
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 02:53 AM   #16
RedShift42
Some guy

Oddometer: 312
I must confess that Alaska's riding has been my biggest frustration since arriving a decade ago.

Thousands of miles from family?
High cost of living?
Limited luxuries & comforts?
Extraordinary travel expense & inconvenience to ...everywhere ?
Long dark winters?

Nope, nope, and nope. Not a problem
I love this place and deal with revel in those liabilities.

The one thing that really gets to me tho' is Alaska's limited riding-- the combination of short riding season and a lack of truly great roads*.
--Nomex underwear on--

Admittedly I'm a fair-weather rider nowadays. Many moons ago I churned my way solo thru a blizzard in MT's Targhee Pass; standing in a diner w/ my hands wrapped around a coffee pot, about as miserable as I can ever remember, I realized that I ride b/c it's fun and, when I ride in foul conditions it kills my enthusiasm for motorcycles in general.
So I'm bound by the Greatland's fair-weather constraints, which means riding far fewer miles/year than I'd like b/c I pretty much only go out in optimal conditions. But that's ok for now; tho' sometimes it's hard, it's a sacrifice I can live with to live up here and be an Alaskan.
My helmet is off to Jack, Mark, et al when I see pics of their sub-0 exploits (and I mean literally off-- completely off and locked away-- while I sit in front of the fire w/ a glass of egg nog) I do appreciate the badness-by-proxy I receive as an ADV rider for their forays into the frigid, but that kind of toughness is best left to them.

I have to add, I'm impressed by AK's riding community-- the characters and oddball hardware I encounter is a constant surprise-- I swear I'm the most boring of the bunch. There's no shortage of real riders here on the Kenai Pen, and I suspect it's the same throughout the state, even off the road system. There's curious bikes squirreled away more commonly than you'd suspect. Not a week goes by in summer that I don't meet another local w/ an old Enfield, Norton, BMW... guys w/ tales of cris-crossing the country on a 305cc or riding their '65 Triumph up the old Alcan.
So Guitarmy21b, even if you're not able to do all the riding you dream of, at least take comfort that you're surrounded by kindred souls, intriguing guys whose stories you could listen to for hours on end. And that counts for a lot, too.

-Eric.

*Yes, we have some of the this hemisphere's most scenic highways, but few are convenient to get to, they're hobbled by RV-driving septuagenarians, and, really, not epic riding roads.
-JD

RedShift42 screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 01:14 PM
RedShift42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #17
Fast Idle
Since the Sixties

Oddometer: 281
Yes all of the above speaks volumes of wisdom.(excellent post Alcan Rider). At the risk of getting mauled however I will say that one doesn't have to be limited to just one power sport. Alaska has playgrounds for all of the great power toys, land, sea and air. I thoroughly enjoy winter by getting out in it and not staying indoors. Snowmobiles (known as snow machines in Alaska) are another great passion of mine and can literally take you any where in the state. So while waiting for break-up (spring) we put lots of miles on very fast and very fun winter toys.
1970 Honda SL100
- Survivor
Riding as much as my old frame will allow!

Fast Idle screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 11:15 AM
Fast Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #18
Spike Paddy OP
Space Cowboy

Oddometer: 111
Wow, great replies from everyone...you've all made it really tempting. Maybe I'll show this thread to my girlfriend lol she's not too thrilled with the idea. She'd rather go to Hawaii.
Spike Paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #19
AKtracks
Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer: 1,260
Oh!

Well, hell...if you're bringing a woman up here with you...what the hell are you waiting for. We're always interested in new prospects...uhhh...umm...I mean, meeting new and interesting people...yeah...that's it!

Adventure Cycleworks Providing support to the Adventure Touring Motorcyclist in Fairbanks, Alaska

-
AKtracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #20
Spike Paddy OP
Space Cowboy

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKtracks View Post
Well, hell...if you're bringing a woman up here with you...what the hell are you waiting for. We're always interested in new prospects...uhhh...umm...I mean, meeting new and interesting people...yeah...that's it!
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Idle View Post
Yes all of the above speaks volumes of wisdom.(excellent post Alcan Rider). At the risk of getting mauled however I will say that one doesn't have to be limited to just one power sport. Alaska has playgrounds for all of the great power toys, land, sea and air. I thoroughly enjoy winter by getting out in it and not staying indoors. Snowmobiles (known as snow machines in Alaska) are another great passion of mine and can literally take you any where in the state. So while waiting for break-up (spring) we put lots of miles on very fast and very fun winter toys.
That's part of the appeal for me too(riding snowmobiles). I think I'm gonna go ahead and lock it in as my #1 pick. There's no guarantee that I'll get it though. Ft Carson, CO is my 2nd choice.
Spike Paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #21
Alaskajeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmy21b View Post
lol

That's part of the appeal for me too(riding snowmobiles). I think I'm gonna go ahead and lock it in as my #1 pick. There's no guarantee that I'll get it though. Ft Carson, CO is my 2nd choice.
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
2011 Verys ADV
92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Alaskajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #22
The Dick
CFDVN/BRICK

Oddometer: 406
I am a dumb ass Canuck and if you miss the opportunity to go up to Alaska sponsored by the American Army and need to get explainded the advantages of riding up here, OH, did I fail to mention the Yukon right next door, then you need to go back to boot camp and get some nasty seargent slap you aside the head and hopefully you will wake up with some new sense!!!!

Just Sayin as Fite says
The Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #23
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,370
there are no "pros".... well, only minor league. there are plenty of "cons"... mostly our politicians. we put some in jail, but apparently there is a waiting line so we are stuck with them

better stay home where it's warm
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #24
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
Talking

Pro- ones the best state to ride.

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:10 PM   #25
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttynu View Post
Pro- ones the best state to ride.
DANG, and this coming from a young sportbike rider!

Oh, and I'm trying to restrain myself from commenting about the op's bring a gf.

Mark H.

AKDuc screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 06:22 PM
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:04 AM   #26
aklizzard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
pro's cons

ALASKA LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT
aklizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #27
K75STER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
DO IT! You won't regret it, you will however regret not doing it!
I was at Eielson for 3yrs '86-'89-should've never left.
As said, if you like the outdoors you'll like it. There's something to do in all of the seasons, you just have to go out and do it!
My first 3wks in state had 90 deg weather,(never saw that again) All three Thanksgivings were -30, My last winter we had a cold snap-stayed below -50 for 2 or 3 weeks before warming to above -50 the personal low I saw was -72 straight temp-no windchill thank God!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKtracks View Post
^^^^^^That's funny! I seem to remember a bumper sticker saying how "In Alaska you don't lose your Girlfriend-you lose your place in line!"
K75STER is online now   Reply With Quote