Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 08:36 AM   #3631
rowdymoose
Carpe Diem-seize the carp

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by awork13 View Post
This is my bosses bike, he hand made the skid plate and yes that is a winch on the back. He is working on an aux gas tank for it now. Steadily getting 68-70 mpg. We cut the tack weld out of the can insert on the Akro can, sounds really good in person and not loud at all with the cat still in place

3 questions about this good looking bike:
1) What tires are those--they look great on there!
2) What windshield is that? The wind issue is really my only complaint about the bike so far, so I'm always looking for input in this department.
3) Is that some sort of protection on the side in the first pic? I'm referring to the silver part where the Honda logo is. My bike is black on this part of the fake tank.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #3632
Mike Cash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
I'm not sure what you thought that had to do with your point, but you'd need to be very sure about it. A better statement would be that you are so out-of-touch with your spiritual self that you deny its existence.
One needn't be out of touch with spirituality to deny the existence of a soul; it was a central tenet of early Buddhism.
Mike Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #3633
Fidl2n
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Rowdy, the silver bit is an OEM add-on. Yes, protection (I forget what they're calling it, but essentially anti-abrasion from your legs/knees).

Beemer, I believe 100mph was simply doing the comparison. If people don't have souls, certainly then neither do inanimate objects. I agree. Romanticism. Understand the emotional expression, but don't happen to go there. My emotional response to what I consider a form of useful art does not require otherworldly intimations to be appreciated. Metaphor is fine.

Thanks, MikeCash. nicely added.
Fidl2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #3634
watrboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Bike with Attitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdymoose View Post
3 questions about this good looking bike:
1) What tires are those--they look great on there!
2) What windshield is that? The wind issue is really my only complaint about the bike so far, so I'm always looking for input in this department.
3) Is that some sort of protection on the side in the first pic? I'm referring to the silver part where the Honda logo is. My bike is black on this part of the fake tank.
Those tires are TKC80 from Continental. I have them on my XR650L and will mount a set on my NC when spring comes. Very nice tire. The windshield looks like the tall option from Honda.

It is a well done variant on the NC700X. I do like it, not sure I am committed enough to look for using the winch.

I did a loop Sunday with rain, snow and 60 mph side and head wind. Break in done now and averaging 64 mpg all around. Same fuel and same riding got me 50 mpg on the XR and 34 mpg on my Valkyrie Interstate. The XR would have been scary in the wind yesterday. The LCG made the NC manageable.
watrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #3635
rowdymoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by watrboy View Post
Those tires are TKC80 from Continental. I have them on my XR650L and will mount a set on my NC when spring comes. Very nice tire. The windshield looks like the tall option from Honda.
Anyone tried the tall option from Honda? I tried the Givi screen, and it was just a tad too short for me. If I crouch forward a couple inches, I notice the wind noise dramatically reduced. Installed the National Defender (DX I believe), but it's been *crappy weather, and I haven't had a chance to check it out.

*SoCal version of crappy weather--rain for a few hours past few days. I realize you just rode through rain, snow, & 60MPH cross winds! I'm waiting for a clear day so I don't have to worry about oil slicks, or crazy Cali drivers who don't know what to do in the rain so I can just focus on the differences in the wind noise.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #3636
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
Why would you want to hang it upside down from a tree?
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #3637
rowdymoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crilly View Post
Why would you want to hang it upside down from a tree?
To keep it away from bears while camping?
Old 12-04-2012, 12:37 AM   #3638
serafko
n00b

Oddometer: 2
The screen is Honda touring screen, but with sort of spoiler (deflector) mounted on the top of it.
serafko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:40 AM   #3639
watrboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
MT Roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdymoose View Post
Anyone tried the tall option from Honda? I tried the Givi screen, and it was just a tad too short for me. If I crouch forward a couple inches, I notice the wind noise dramatically reduced. Installed the National Defender (DX I believe), but it's been *crappy weather, and I haven't had a chance to check it out.

*SoCal version of crappy weather--rain for a few hours past few days. I realize you just rode through rain, snow, & 60MPH cross winds! I'm waiting for a clear day so I don't have to worry about oil slicks, or crazy Cali drivers who don't know what to do in the rain so I can just focus on the differences in the wind noise.
I passed maybe 30 cars going the other way and had less than that in my lane in 135 miles. The temperature was between 45 and 55 F depending on the elevation (3600 to 5400). The ski hill I passed actually shut down the lifts for a few hours that day from the wind. Not a single other motorcycle out on the roads, a couple in town.
Ignorance is bliss, I have been told.
My son the Harley rider in the family just shakes his head. He forgets when I ride by myself, I ride, 135 miles, 2 hours, just right, head clear for another few days.
watrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #3640
Fidl2n
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Wowee, watrboy. That is some dedication. I've been in some pretty hairy wind on the slopes before they shift down a lift and I would not be out on a bike in that, regardless of te relatively modest temps you list (for a ski area). Way ta represent.
Fidl2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #3641
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

Oddometer: 3,607
Has there been any word from Honda as to whether or not the NC700X is continued for 2013, and if so, are there any changes planned, such as color, performance, etc.?

I am really torn between this bike and the CB500X as a coming addition to the personal collection. Either would be good for the majority of the riding I do and the NC700X seems to have excellent fuel economy and a wealth of factory accessories to fit my needs. It seems the 500 will as well, accessory-wise.

It would be nice to see something besides shades of gray for an option.

-Joe

Trust and Respect take years to earn, but can be lost in a moment.

Life's too short to hold a grudge. -Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #3642
awork13
Gas was made to burn

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by serafko View Post
The screen is Honda touring screen, but with sort of spoiler (deflector) mounted on the top of it.
Its a touratech spoiler for a GS 1200

The skid plate is attached to the sidestand frame mount and centerstand mount on the right side, I don't know if you can tell in the pictures but he made it to cover the shock linkage as well. This bike will be at the IMS show in Seattle next weekend. Hoping to have it in the Honda booth, otherwise it will be upstairs in another display.
2009 CRF150R
awork13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:11 AM   #3643
Mike Cash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purcell69 View Post
Has there been any word from Honda as to whether or not the NC700X is continued for 2013, and if so, are there any changes planned, such as color, performance, etc.?

I am really torn between this bike and the CB500X as a coming addition to the personal collection. Either would be good for the majority of the riding I do and the NC700X seems to have excellent fuel economy and a wealth of factory accessories to fit my needs. It seems the 500 will as well, accessory-wise.

It would be nice to see something besides shades of gray for an option.

-Joe
It took me only a few seconds to google "2013 NC700X".
Mike Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:14 AM   #3644
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
It took me only a few seconds to google "2013 NC700X".
I'm not even google it but assume (and probably be correct) that there are
no changes to it for 2013 since 1) it's a budget bike 2) there were no
flaws in the first design 3) no changes in performance because of EU regulations
and for christsake, it just came out.

They don't even update the CBR-RR bikes that often.

Oh yeah, colors, maybe one or two "new" for US, but in reality already
available elsewhere.

How close was I?

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:29 AM   #3645
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post

How close was I?
click and find out

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote