hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,241
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:16 PM   #467
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer: 397
here's a pic of the wife inspecting my spoke work on the rear wheel before i sent it off to Woody's...

she was unimpressed;)

got some stuff done Saturday night, kind of...

I figured it would be best to practice some fiberglassing on something that doesn't have to be pretty, so I tried making a new tool tray (my old one doesn't fit with the replacement subframe). This is my second attempt.

I guess it didn't turn out too badly for my first ever fiberglass project. definitely solid.

I sanded it up a bit Sunday morning

still not great. I actually began a third attempt Sunday before deciding that i thoroughly HATE fiberglass. This poses a serious problem for my plan to glass a rear cowling...

tonight I started messing around with a seat pan. i took this ugly devil:

and started modifying it. It doesn't fit on the shorter subframe

so i started cutting and riveted the pieces back together

then i did something against my better judgement - i busted the fiberglass back out to try to tie the 2 pieces together securely and bridge the joint:

This has convinced me not only am i a glutton for punishment, but am also stupid, and solidified my deep, deep hatred for fiberglass. I'm going to talk to my buddy, Spinner tomorrow about an aluminum seat pan and cowling...

to end on a happy note, here's a pic of my new speedo and gen light mounted and electrified:)

my wheels should be back from Woody's tomorrow too:) Maybe I'll have a roller by the weekend...

I hope everyone had a great weekend!
Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
benthic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:53 AM   #468
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,300
Thumb

Good work, sir. That's progress.

I like that tool tray.

Fiberglas is fun to work with, but one thing that can make it funner is to use an epoxy resin instead of the polyester resin. Epoxy doesn't smell as much is easier to clean up and has a longer working time (but it takes longer to set up) than polyester. Not as readily available, but go to a good boat shop and get the West Systems epoxy. FWIW.

Ah, so that's what Ms Fish looks like. She may be unimpressed, but she's tolerant of The Madness, so she's a keeper...

--Bill
Old 12-04-2012, 05:57 AM   #469
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,241
Hey Spencer, looking good! I know I've said this before, but looking at page 1 of this thread, it's impressive to see how far you've taken this bike. Even with the crash. Very cool.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:58 AM   #470
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oh, and I forgot to mention:

Harmonizer Carb Balancers are well and alive and back in production.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701625

No affiliation, etc-- just a devotee of harmony...

:)

--Bill
Old 12-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #471
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Thanks for the kind words you two, you've both been very encouraging this entire time:)

Harmonizer! Renner has one, and I've benefited from it several times... I haven't convinced myself to get my own yet.

My wheels are back from Woody's!

I'm a little concerned. I had read that the spokes should have the same "musical" tone, but they don't, implying that they're not all tightened the same:/? I'm going to call Woody's tomorrow and talk to them about it as I'm certainly not an expert. the other disappointing thing is while the rims ARE more straight, they also have additional scratches from the straightening process (i know because I just polished those rims!). oh well.

my fiberglass seat pan from yesterday seem pretty sturdy

but I talked to my buddy, Spinner, and if I cut out the aluminum the way i want it, he'll weld it together. So i think i'm going to do that instead (as well?)...

Lastly, I finally bobbed the spare front fender i have

I'll paint it when i'm sure I'm happy with the shape:)

If Woody's allays my fears, I think Renner and I are going to mount the tires up tomorrow...

Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 12-05-2012, 05:50 AM   #472
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by benthic View Post
Harmonizer! Renner has one, and I've benefited from it several times... I haven't convinced myself to get my own yet.

If Woody's allays my fears, I think Renner and I are going to mount the tires up tomorrow...

Spencer
If you need convincing, go to the end of the Harmonizer thread and read the Angst whan the Harmonizer was unavailable for a while.

Good move on the tires. I was going to suggest extreme caution. As an aside, I've found that real live Ru-Glide tire (rubber) lubricant makes the tire bead slip on so much easier. For years I had used dishwashing detergent in water, but the real-deal is so much better.

On my own project, I got that bigger 6-1/2 gallon tank re-lined and installed. While the fairiing and everything is off, I'm making a new wiring subharness for the Powerlet connector to power the new heated jacket liner.

--Bill
Old 12-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #473
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

I spoke with Woody's today. They assure me that the spokes do not all have to have the same tone. as long as there are no super high tones, and super low "dead" tones, it's OK. They also talked to me about indications of loose spokes, and warning signs, etc. after I told them I was asking because of previous "wheel" failure. So off to Renner's I go after work:)

We've both watch videos on Nomar's website, and we have irons and lube, etc. The tires are cooking in the back of my car to soften them up, so i think we're ready:) wish us luck!

Bill - your tank re-line, did you do it yourself? i found that to be a very shitty job.
www.blindfishz.com
Old 12-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #474
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Quote:
Bill - your tank re-line, did you do it yourself? i found that to be a very shitty job.
Tank re-lining is tricky since the tank is prepped with strong solvents and then the liner has to aggressively adhere to the surface. If you have nice paint on the tank it can be at risk. This tank is original Monza Blue with enough patina to give it character, and with good hand-painted pinstripes.

The factory liner was basically sound with a few small low-lying areas where that factory liner had corroded from old gas drying out. So after strong solvent removed traces of the old gas and the interior was roughened up with agitatation with drywall screws it was ready to go.

I used the Caswell epoxy tank liner instead of the usual Kreem or POR solvent-based urethane coating. http://www.caswellplating.com/restor...nk-sealer.html The epoxy is somewhat thicker than the urethane and that viscosity is temperature dependent, as is the pot life, so I had to wait for a warm snap, and carefully monitor the coverage before it started to set up. It did very well, but know how well in few years. ;)

--Bill
Old 12-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #475
Captain Yesterday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Looking good
Captain Yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #476
Tin Woodman
Mike

Oddometer: 196
Tank re-lining

Couldn't one simply use a polyurethane coating on the tank interior? It's fuel and solvent resistant. My tank is pretty rust-free.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:25 AM   #477
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Woodman View Post
Couldn't one simply use a polyurethane coating on the tank interior? It's fuel and solvent resistant. My tank is pretty rust-free.
There are a variety of tank liners out there. the risk in not using a reputable one is that it will come off and you'll have done all the work for nothing. The worst part is the prep with solvents as Bill mentioned. The final step of actually lining is pretty easy.

in other news! got my new wheels/tires back on the bike:) (don't know if the facebook photo will show up)

after this pic, I reattached the headlight and sorted out my clip-ons, but forgot to take more fotos.

a Big thanks to Renner for his patience with mounting the tires. It was the inaugural tire mount on his new-to-him Nomar tire changing station, and there was definitely a learning curve for both of us, but especially me;)

tonight is about getting the exhaust finished up, double check all cables, engine/tranny fluids, bleed the brakes and new fork oil in the front end. I desperately want to fire this baby up:) I WILL be puttering around my neighborhood this weekend even if I don't have a proper place to put my ass.;)

Happy Friday everyone!
Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 12-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #478
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Tires, round all around. Straight pipes to save from getting read ended. Headlight, set up and aimed to modulate against pesky squirrels. Be sure to put on a Gremlin bell, and rob some handlebar tassels from the kid's bike. Do you have a beanie helmet? Or can you borrow a tupperware bowl from The Domestic Associate?

Assert y'self with the nosey neigbors this weekend.

Seriously, it looks good. Whenever I change a tire/ repair a flat I check the tire pressure frequently with an accurate pressure gauge for a couple of days. Just to be sure.

Don't sweat the seat. This is what I used for a couple of weeks whilst I was awaiting for my Bill Mayer Seat. Teaches you humility, gets a lot of strange looks from the biking community. Teaches them to learn respect...

Have a great weekend!

--Bill
Old 12-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #479
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Tires, round all around. Straight pipes to save from getting read ended. Headlight, set up and aimed to modulate against pesky squirrels. Be sure to put on a Gremlin bell, and rob some handlebar tassels from the kid's bike. Do you have a beanie helmet? Or can you borrow a tupperware bowl from The Domestic Associate?

Assert y'self with the nosey neigbors this weekend.

Seriously, it looks good. Whenever I change a tire/ repair a flat I check the tire pressure frequently with an accurate pressure gauge for a couple of days. Just to be sure.

Don't sweat the seat. This is what I used for a couple of weeks whilst I was awaiting for my Bill Mayer Seat. Teaches you humility, gets a lot of strange looks from the biking community. Teaches them to learn respect...

Have a great weekend!

--Bill
LOL! Bill that pic is awesome - did you really do that? If you did, it makes me feel a lot better;)

No one is more paranoid about tires than i am;) I'll check them tonight to see if they lost any air from Wednesday, and then virtually constantly once I start riding. I've seriously thought about those wireless tire pressure monitors... we'll see.

no straight pipes for me - i'm using the EPCO peashooters I bought from wirewrkr:) they are more noisy, but not as bad as my harley nieghbor;) (who DOES wear a beanie helmet!;) )

I have a gremlin bell on my Honda Shadow that was given to me by a dear friend. I like the sentiment, but honestly I'm going to cut the clapper out of the bell - the little ringing when i hit bumps makes me think something is falling off the bike!:)
www.blindfishz.com
Old 12-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #480
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Abolsutely. A piece of scrap 3/4" ply zip-tied to the frame for support, an old throw pillow for cushioning. Like I said, humility and respect.

No need to be paranoid, just be cautious. After a tire change, even if you are good at it, it is possible to get a pinhole, which will leak very slowly and sneak up on you. Lose enough air from the pinhole dribble, the tire will walk around the rim, tear the tube and you'll have a sudden pressure loss. You know the rest...

Peashooters... a Wirewrkr legacy. Neat.

--Bill