Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #436
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Ham View Post
The Bonneville is also a couple grand cheaper, right?
About right - the single-tone Bonnies, might even do a little better than this. The Bonny is a pretty good deal, and the CB1100, while priced reasonably, is not a huge bargain like some of the other new Hondas. But you are getting a LOT more bike with the Honda (inline-four, dual discs, etc.) and you have the option for ABS brakes, albeit at a further escalation in price. For me, the ABS option makes all the difference.

- Mark

markjenn screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 01:39 PM
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #437
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,017
Just read the entire thread. Boring TV night. I've been wanting a naked big engine bike a while now and satisfied the urge with a 2009 XR1200. Great bike and a shear blast to ride.

Then I get the latest RIDER magazine in the mail today and it has a couple of columns and pics, on the CB1100, stating that it is going to be in the stores in the USA in early 13. I may have to trade that XR on the CB. Current value of the XR is close to the prices being mentioned here...

The XR gets around 42mpg and has a 3.5 gal tank, so I'm used to looking or gas stations regularly. With CC use, only takes a couple of minutes to gas up.... .
Old 12-04-2012, 12:35 AM   #438
Bugz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
I usually assume about 15% loss from crank to wheel until actual data shows different. At 85 crank hp that'd give around 72-73 at the wheel. Honda seems to be doing better than this, at least with the NC700, which is rated at either 51 or 52 and mag tests are geting 48 at the wheel.

Don't forget the Bonnie is around 40 lbs and the V7 100 lbs lighter. Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt the Honda will seriously spank the Guzzi in acceleration - probably the Bonnie too. Just sayin the Bonnie and V7 have their own attributes.
I don't think any rider on a bonnie, V7 or the new CB1100 will be looking at raw performance data and how they compare to one another.

I will get that new 1100 in a2 years or soCan't wait to get a testride on the bike.

*edit* if it lives up to the expectations I have of the bike obv.
Bugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:33 AM   #439
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugz View Post
I don't think any rider on a bonnie, V7 or the new CB1100 will be looking at raw performance data and how they compare to one another.
While I agree that performance won't be of the same importance in this class of bikes, it certainly won't be ignored.

- Mark
Old 12-04-2012, 04:22 AM   #440
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
While I agree that performance won't be of the same importance in this class of bikes, it certainly won't be ignored.

- Mark
We'll see the usual head to head comparos in the mags.
I expect the overall fit and finish of all these bikes is pretty close, since they're built to a price point.

I just prefer Honda and what the air cooled four brings me. I'm totally biased toward this bike. I cut my teeth on air cooled Hondas back in the 80's and the rough hewn feel, sound, and smell of them is something I don't get from anything else.

Not to say that the Bonneville, V7, and any other competitors that anyone wants to lump in there aren't good bikes. This bike just checks a lot of my mental boxes.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:47 AM   #441
pm9654
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Both the Bonnie and V7 are great retro bikes and I'd love to have one. But there is no comparison with the CB1100 from an engine performance stand point as the V7 is down in the low-40's on RWHP and the Bonnie is only in the mid-50's. The Honda will be nearly 80. Not saying horsepower is all-important, but the difference will be like night/day. The Honda is a retro bike that will feel like a reasonably-modern high-performance motorcycle.

- Mark
I've seen around 60 hp with the new Bonnie's, with less weight then the Honda. Not sure the difference will be like night and day. Anyway, I'm not hung up on hp numbers anyway, my racing days are over!
Old 12-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #442
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
I expect the overall fit and finish of all these bikes is pretty close, since they're built to a price point.
We'll see. My bet is the Honda will have an edge here, although this is such a subjective thing it is hard to put a fine point on it. I do know that while I like the new Bonnys, they've always looked cheap to my eyes, especially in the handlebar, switchgear, instruments, etc. I've especially been put off by the lack of a tach on the mainstream SE (cast wheel and tubeless) models. Another thing that rubs me wrong on the Bonny is making the TB's look like carbs - I know this is a small thing, but it strikes me as disingenuous. To me the Kawasaki W800 is the retro twin that punches my old bike nostalgia buttons a lot more. Unfortunately, it is not imported into the US.

Hard to put a finger on it, but I just feel like the CB is a whole different class of motorcycle - bigger displacement, inline-four, much more performance, dual discs, ABS option, Honda vs. Triumph quality, fresher/more-modern design, etc. Haven't seen one yet, but to my eye, it is worth the extra bucks and then some. But don't get me wrong, I like twins and the Bonny is a very neat machine.

Sorry for the Bonny tangent here folks. Feel free to steer it back towards the CB.

- Mark

markjenn screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 12:31 PM
Old 12-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #443
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,017
I had an 09 T100 a while back. It was one of the most beautiful bikes I had ever owned and one of the worst handling, too. The word "turn" wasn't in its vocabulary. Being a member of a few Triumph twins forums, at that time, I can attest that most all posts were about gaining every ounce of torque and hp out of them, from air cleaner changes to 1000cc big bore kits.

Owners seemed to love the looks but hate the performance and suspension of the Hinkley Bonnevilles. Seems that's just what motorcycle owners do. Mod and farkle till the money runs out.

I'm sure some will want to take the new CB1100 and turn it in to an RR, while others will accept it for why the Japanese designed it and enjoy the ride... tomp dd50

Here's specs for the '76 CB model, the new 1100 has same basic weight, half again more power, and to me, better looks, too...
Honda CB750F Super Sport
Years produced: 1975-1978
Claimed power: 58hp @ 8,000rpm
Top speed: 114mph
Engine type: 736cc air-cooled SOHC inline four
Transmission: 5-speed
Weight: 538lb (wet)
MPG: 35-45 (avg.)
Price then/now: $2,152/$1,500-$3,500

dirtdreamer50 screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 05:58 PM
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:16 AM   #444
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
Hard to put a finger on it, but I just feel like the CB is a whole different class of motorcycle - bigger displacement, inline-four, much more performance, dual discs, ABS option, Honda vs. Triumph quality, fresher/more-modern design, etc. Haven't seen one yet, but to my eye, it is worth the extra bucks and then some. But don't get me wrong, I like twins and the Bonny is a very neat machine.
This pretty much sums my feelings on the whole thing too. It's not that I don't like the Bonnevilles or think they're bad bikes.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #445
Hickey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
I found a downloadable owners manual for the CB1100 and looked through it.

Valve inspection is every 8000 miles
The tank is 3.86 US gallons including the reserve
Front and rear suspensions have adjustable preload
Clutch and brake levers are adjustable for span
There is a helmet lock that uses the ignition key
That lock also pops the seat off
There is a tool kit under the seat
The battery is under the tool kit, under the front of the seat
The alternator output total is 336, so not many extra watts

http://www.pdfasal.com/auto/2010-hon...-manual-2.html
Hickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #446
oldhippie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Hickey

Did you notice this said 2010 CB1100 not 2013?
oldhippie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #447
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie1 View Post
Its been available in other, more enlightened, parts of the world since 2010. I think they're the same bike.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #448
Hickey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie1 View Post

Of course. I see no reason that the information and specs should be substantially different from 2010 to now. It's not like the bike has had any major revisions in the markets where it has been sold since its introduction in 2009.
Hickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #449
oldhippie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Hickey

Its obviously the same bike. Are you able to pull up a servce manual? That would be great information to have.
oldhippie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #450
DesmoTull
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
I think it will probably refer you to the Honda Common Service Manual, until someone like Haynes comes out with one.
DesmoTull is offline   Reply With Quote