Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #16
ultane
sqeezin the bag

Oddometer: 1,105
Didn't the Fram filter get a thumbs down from some of the more knowledgable inmates a while back!

I might be wrong... Just ask my X...

Sent from my rotary dial iPhone using Tapatalk

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,..
Is he still wrong?
ultane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #17
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,009
Haven't seen the Fram product mentioned herein.

Fram oil filters do get a poor rating from many due to inferior construction and marginal materials. Some years ago, racers reported the oil filter canisters being blown off the base plate causing motor damage and a crash. Also, I have read of cardboard being deposited in the oil galleries of engines.

I would not use a Fram oil filter. I would however, use their air and fuel filters.

It is interesting to note their most recent TV ads which show extreme oil pressure tests on Fram oil filters.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #18
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,412
Frams or Pennzoil.....the last obviously came from the same factory.Anyone here ever paid a couple bucks just for the pleasure of gutting them? I have, and kept some interesting pics....
Old 12-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #19
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
I don't understand why this is weird. Use the wrong oil filter and get leaks. Use the correct oil filter and all will be well.
It is likely that the two filters shown in the photo utilize the same base plate. Therefore the threads are identical.

Also, I would suspect that the two filters have the same pressure relief and antidrainback specifications.

Therefore it would follow that either filter could be fitted to either bike. However, it is obvious that the filter freeboard is different for the two applications and therefore, the filters are not interchangeable. Also, I would use caution not to run the smaller filter too long between changes. There is certainly limited filtering capacity in the smaller filter before the pressure relief might come into play.

Having never seen the oil filter cavity on the 1200, I cannot comment regarding the fitment but, it is likely that the leaking filter was not tightened down onto the mounting base on the engine properly. Or, the filter canister was Leaking at the seam.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #20
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
Frams or Pennzoil.....the last obviously came from the same factory.Anyone here ever paid a couple bucks just for the pleasure of gutting them? I have, and kept some interesting pics....
Well? Where are they?
Old 12-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #21
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
Well? Where are they?
Hang on...I have a couple more filters to cut, a Napa Gold and a Purolator, they have been draining for a while so won't make a mess when I cut them up.Then I will put them next to the standard by which I judge them all, the Fram and take more pics.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #22
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
Hang on...I have a couple more filters to cut, a Napa Gold and a Purolator, they have been draining for a while so won't make a mess when I cut them up.Then I will put them next to the standard by which I judge them all, the Fram and take more pics.
Excellent...we'll be watching. Oil filter quality/performance is just as important as engine oil IMO.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #23
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
Excellent...we'll be watching. Oil filter quality/performance is just as important as engine oil IMO.

Quality yes....so I buy aftermarket filters and put them in my car first. Then I can cut them up and check quality. But I have tested some on my BMW, gave myself a little edge just in case and installed an oil pressure gauge.

I hate Frams, had significant oil pressure losses (15-20psi) on my old Chevy V8 and clattering lifters on cold start ups. May have been caused by oil contamination from coolant turning the cardboard caps to mush but happened twice so switched to "good" filters with metal caps and never happened again. And then someone gave me a brand new Fram and I cut it up, the effing thing wasn't even crimped along the pleats, the metal crimp altough there was right off the pleats. No filtering there.....!
Old 12-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #24
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebake View Post
I have used the longer 1150 filters on my 05 a few times without any trouble.Ed
The 1100/1150 filter will fit and seal fine.

My guess is you have either crap stuck to the filter gasket or seal, or you have a defect in the mounting surface.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:13 AM   #25
Britome OP
Get Free

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
The 1100/1150 filter will fit and seal fine.

My guess is you have either crap stuck to the filter gasket or seal, or you have a defect in the mounting surface.

Jim
You are the mighty Yoda, Jim. But alas.... You are wrong. Careful inspection multiple times showed that the housing was wiped perfectly clean with no residue or run left behind. The threads were also in great shape. I wish I would have taken a pic before I put the BMW back on.
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #26
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britome View Post
You are the mighty Yoda, Jim. But alas.... You are wrong. Careful inspection multiple times showed that the housing was wiped perfectly clean with no residue or run left behind. The threads were also in great shape. I wish I would have taken a pic before I put the BMW back on.
Not sure why yours leaks, but I have installed dozens of 1100/1150 filters, of multiple manufacturers, on the 1200.

The only place it can leak is at the rubber sealing surface. I didn't read back, but did you try a new 1100/1150 filter, or just go straight to the 1200?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #27
Britome OP
Get Free

Oddometer: 1,062
Good questions, Jim. We tried the HiFlo, Fram and WIX. We foun the part numbers at the standard places on advrider.
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #28
elwoodpone
r00b

Oddometer: 107
These work for me

KN-164 -- Usually around $11. Been using them & the 163 on other bikes for years. After reading of some problems with the nut twisting off I give it a little stress test prior to install. No failures yet.