User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
Gun Smoke OP
Banned

Oddometer: 312
XR650L Seat

Just bought a pristine XR650L couple weeks ago. This is the second time I've owned this bike. I bought my first one new in 1993 when I was 17. (3400.00 out the door if I recall). Anyway for the last 18 years I've owned three R1150GS's, an R1200GS, a K1300GT, two Multistradas, a Duc 848 and 1098, and a Goldwing plus a myriad of dirtbikes. Anyway my ass isn't as resilient as it was 17 years ago. The stock XR seat is brutal; I mean it's a torture device. I'm using the bike an in town hooligan machine and today after a two hour ride I felt like Morton Anderson used my ass for kicking practice. I was sore as hell.

So my question. Are the aftermarket seats worth the money. Do they work at keeping your ass from falling apart. I hate to sound like a pussy but I have ridden every state, Canada, Central and South America 45 minutes at a time. No matter the machine barring the Goldwing and the K1300GT after 45 minutes I'm hurting for a break. That's why I always ride sol and that's why I wonder if a 400 aftermarket seat (15% what I paid for the bike) is going to be worth it.

Thanks in advance guys for advice guys.

For what it's worth I recommend the XR650L. It is a fun machine. Properly jetted it'll whellie through three gears and I think for the price the suspension is pretty good. For shits and giggles I may throw a set of CRF450 forks I've got laying around on the XR to see how that feels. We'll see. Right now Baja design is sending a stator and a dual set of 8" HID's. I'm thinking this will allow me to ride at because right now the 55watt bulb is woefully inadequate.
Gun Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
ReferJohn
3RD Generation Rider

Oddometer: 446
Wait a minute... the XRL is the most comfy seat, try a KLR, WR250 or KTM for 200 miles.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #3
Gun Smoke OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReferJohn View Post
Wait a minute... the XRL is the most comfy seat, try a KLR, WR250 or KTM for 200 miles.
I would but the KLR is a pig. My XR will stand up through three gears. And I spend about half my time on one wheel.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
lamebrain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
So my question. Are the aftermarket seats worth the money.

My 650l had a Corbin seat on it when I bought it so I can't compare it to the stock seat, but compared to the seat on my 86 XL600 I can feel the difference. On my daily commute which is about sixty miles I was more comfortable and less fatigued with the Corbin when I got home. It could just be that the foam in the XL is worn out. I don't really like the Corbin off road, for me it just feels too wide. It's a pretty firm seat too, but it is pretty comfy just cruising around. If My bike didn't already have the Corbin, I would've just upgraded the foam in the stock seat.
lamebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Smoke View Post
Just bought a pristine XR650L couple weeks ago. This is the second time I've owned this bike. I bought my first one new in 1993 when I was 17. (3400.00 out the door if I recall). Anyway for the last 18 years I've owned three R1150GS's, an R1200GS, a K1300GT, two Multistradas, a Duc 848 and 1098, and a Goldwing plus a myriad of dirtbikes. Anyway my ass isn't as resilient as it was 17 years ago. The stock XR seat is brutal; I mean it's a torture device. I'm using the bike an in town hooligan machine and today after a two hour ride I felt like Morton Anderson used my ass for kicking practice. I was sore as hell.

So my question. Are the aftermarket seats worth the money. Do they work at keeping your ass from falling apart. I hate to sound like a pussy but I have ridden every state, Canada, Central and South America 45 minutes at a time. No matter the machine barring the Goldwing and the K1300GT after 45 minutes I'm hurting for a break. That's why I always ride sol and that's why I wonder if a 400 aftermarket seat (15% what I paid for the bike) is going to be worth it.

Thanks in advance guys for advice guys.
An after market seat cannot make the XRL feel like a Goldwing. With the stock XRL seat I was starting to feel some discomfort at 50 miles. I was really starting to squirm by 100 miles. With my Russel seat I figure I have at least 300 miles before the squirm sets in. On a cool day quite a lot farther than that. I did over 600 miles once with out much pain, but it never got over 60 to 65 degrees out the whole time.

I think $400 on a good seat is money well spent. I would spend $400 or more on a good seat long before I would spend that much on USD forks, aftermarket exhaust, or any of the other popular mods. I think one must choose their seat builder wisely though. If you are going to spend the money, do it right the first time. There are seat builder that some people love and some people hate. Then there are a few that I have not ever read any complaints about their seats comfort. Renazco and Russell come to mind. But the good ones are book out a ways. Don't think you can order one two weeks before the big trip and get it. It won't happen. Now would be a good time to order for next summers rides.

Walter

My Russell seat

That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #6
Gun Smoke OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
Holy Shit now that is a touring seat lol. It looks comfy. Man you got the kitchen sink on that bike too. Is it a bike or a chuck wagon lol? I've got to give you props though. My next tour will also include a keg of beer like yours; that my friend is brilliant. I sleep outside when it's nice and hotels when it's rainging. Last year I rode from NC to Alaska on my Multi 1200 with just a top box. I'm not going to do any big trips on the XR I just want to do 30 pain free miles. How does one go about changing the foam. I wonder if a real firm tempur pedic style foam would work well. Can anyone recommend a seat sculptor?
Old 12-05-2012, 04:09 AM   #7
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,708
Seat Concepts

Here you go:

http://seatconcepts.com/products#!/~...356&id=7268062

Hope that link works. If not, just go to seatconcepts.com and it's easy to click and find Honda. I've had these seats on two bikes, highly recommended. Super-nice folks, too. Check in vendors, I believe there's an Adv discount.

Sarah
Old 12-05-2012, 05:43 AM   #8
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,660
Renazco Racing baby.

And the CRF forks

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:23 AM   #9
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,829
Shameless Plug for Seat Concepts

Here's SC's foam next to the stock seat -

Here's the seat on the bike. The slight creases at the nose have since disappeared.

You'll need a pneumatic stapler to pierce the Honda's tough plastic seat pan - the Harbor Freight unit that SC recommends works just fine. My bike is now all-day comfortable.