Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #106
Bama67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
I came in here to recommend my bike, the Ninja 1000. Because it is awesome, and what kind of forum member would I be if I didn't recommend what ever I ride.

But seriously, it is one capable touring steed, and fully wet it is 501lbs, get rid of those dual exhaust cannons and it will lose another 10lbs or so. Not bad.

But actually if I wanted the best sport-tourer in the 500lb range I would be looking damn hard that the new Kawi Versys with the 1000cc engine.

That motor is a torquey beast, even slightly de-tuned it rips. That is one nice bike (it even looks good to me), and if I toured more and did just less back roads riding, I would sell my N1K and get one.
Bama67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #107
Outwardbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
OK...... you want light weight, comfort and reasonable cost. Here it is:
2009 Versys
Russel Seat
Tall CalSci windscreen
Givi E36's
Zumo with integrated dash mount
throttle lock for the boring stuff
electric tankbag for tunes, radios, etc.

I wouldn't think it too good for 2 up touring, but for me alone it's the cats azz.

Maybe not the greatest picture, but you get the idea:
Outwardbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #108
motordog1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
537 lbs minus the bags and a full tank of fuel. This is my vote.

motordog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #109
Wobbleside
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos View Post
Aprilia Futura
This... or at least I wanted one badly when I started hunting for a bike in this segment back in march.
I had settled on the ST3 or a Futura but after a month of looking (and with no vehicle of my own during that time period) I ended up with this:

I rode most of the bikes in the segment that I could afford with a budget of 6k or less. I loved the Futura and the ST3. It's a toss up with I liked more. Following closely behind that was the R1100S then the Sprint ST 1050i and 6th gen VFR800. I had ergo issues with Sprint and VFR800. The sprint's bars were too narrow for my shoulders and the VFR.. well I couldn't find a riding position I liked.
In the end I bought the Multistrada because after I rode the 1000 DS (before this I'd ridden a 620 dark for 5 hours in the rain.. in mixed city/twisties and I liked it except for the suspension.) It had just the right amount of every time for me. It like my Monster but faster, more comfortable with just enough weather protection and well the suspension just works especially on crappy back roads that are falling apart. My ride home was over Hwy 17 before it got resurfaced in 30 degree weather while it was raining. That trip on the monster would have been harrowing. On Dev.. I was cold and a little wet by the time we got home but she didn't care about the pot holes, cracks, ripples and other things I ran over because I couldn't see very well. She didn't care that it was wet and slick enough on this very twisty mountain highway where we passed 4 major crashes on the way there and back. On the Futura or ST3 I probably would have been warmer and more dry but I don't think (and I rode both on similar roads) I would have been as confident and I don't think they would have been as planted on the same road.

That being said my vote still goes to the ST3/Futura. The Multistrada does make an excellent ST bike. It's basically a comfy, tall SS1000 DS. The new ones is really a tall, comfy 1198. Ducati pretty much nailed the idea of a bike that could be fun to ride sporty all day on any road. That's the Multistrada. The ST3 and Futura do for me at least define the perfect comfortable sport bike that is most happy on smooth twisties 500 miles from home. The Multi can do that too and keep up just as well but it's down about 20-30 ponies from them. She makes up for it with having some of the most confidence inspiring suspension I've ever ridden on and being a little lighter. If she was 3 inches shorter I think I'd have the perfect bike forever.

For the record the other bikes in the photo are a 1999 VFR 800; 1985 VF700F (which just got a luggage rack) and a 2008 Moto Guzzi Norge GTS. All 4 of them are ridden every day as primary vehicles. My favorite after my own is the Norge. It's a little to porky for my tastes but it's got a fantastic engine and handles very well for it's size. I would love to own a white one with some of the fancy suspension bits off a V11 Le Man (which was on my list but I never found one to ride).

She has a top case now too so that ugly soft bag is gone.
Wobbleside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #110
RobbieAG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordog1 View Post
537 lbs minus the bags and a full tank of fuel. This is my vote.

What is it?
RobbieAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #111
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieAG View Post
What is it?
Kawasaki ZX-14 a.k.a. ZZR1400 a.k.a. Spawn of Satan
Old 07-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #112
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
I admit it: I LOL'd!

( I'm owned by one of those spawn.)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #113
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
You make that sound like it's a bad thing.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #114
spanky
Well, maybe...

Oddometer: 1,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwestbrook View Post
Another vote for the Sprint GT. Just hit 10k miles on mine and still in love. I just rode her 180 miles through the heart of a tropical storm. She got me home save and sound. Fantastic bike.
I'm going to look at an '03 Sprint this weekend. 57K miles on the clock, very good condition, adult owned/maintained. What should I look out for?

(apologies to ninepeaks9 for the hijack use of his thread )
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #115
ninepeaks9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
No apology necessary...

I saw someone riding I think was a Triumph Trophy when I was passing thru Idaho. It looked like a pretty good rig that would meet the qualification here. Don't know what year. Ergos looked comfy with good size windshied. I don't know how they compare with a Sprint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky View Post
I'm going to look at an '03 Sprint this weekend. 57K miles on the clock, very good condition, adult owned/maintained. What should I look out for?

(apologies to ninepeaks9 for the hijack use of his thread )
ninepeaks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #116
ninepeaks9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Here's my current mount. Got rid of 12RT to get this 12R. Love it! Set up with panniers & top trunk and taller windshield for touring.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #117
spanky
Well, maybe...

Oddometer: 1,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninepeaks9 View Post
No apology necessary...

I saw someone riding I think was a Triumph Trophy when I was passing thru Idaho. It looked like a pretty good rig that would meet the qualification here. Don't know what year. Ergos looked comfy with good size windshied. I don't know how they compare with a Sprint.
Well, by now you know I didn't end up buying the Sprint. The SO didn't like it but we were able to score a schweet R1100R that I posted in your thread about the Roadster.

spanky screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 06:31 AM
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:04 AM   #118
ninepeaks9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky View Post
Well, by now you know I didn't end up buying the Sprint. The SO didn't like it but we were able to score a schweet R1100R that I posted about in your thread about the Roadster.
Yes, spanky, you made a wise choice. I would been happy with any R bike but just happened to acquire 12R.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #119
Yostwerks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
The ZX14R gets top marks as a sport touring bike due to it's overall performance. ... not just it's awesome power, but also for it's nimble handling
as well as comfort and smoothness. I've owned several sport touring bikes over the years, and this one is becoming my favorite. Currently, my
other bikes include a Triumph Sprint 1050 and Aprilia Falco. Both are excellent sport tourers in their own right.

I fabricated pannier racks this weekend and as a result my ZX14R Hyper Sport is now a Hyper Sport Tourer

Givi E21 ( 21 liter) top loaders, and a Motocentric tail bag ( 23 liter) provide plenty of storage space for the riding I do. I've long preferred these
smaller Givi top loaders, though larger Givi side loaders like the E360 / E460 will work with this homebuilt setup ...

With only 4 bolts, the one piece racks attach / detach in a couple of minutes. The panniers are 36" wide overall, same as the mirrors.
The racks as shown weigh 6lbs and the Givi E21's weight 7.5lbs (pair) for a lightweight 13.5lb setup. Aluminum tubing is 6061 T6 and the adapter
plates are made with HDPE plastic. Paint is Krylon fusion ultra flat black.

Adding an adapter plate as a top rack for my Bestem or Givi E360 would be a simple matter, but I'll stick with the soft tail bag for now. Tom

Come to think of it, Kawasaki has the Sport Touring market well represented with the ZX14, Z1000SX, and the C14

Yostwerks screwed with this post 12-08-2012 at 08:00 AM
Yostwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:00 AM   #120
ninepeaks9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I was very close to picking up ZX-14 from West Coast to do a cross country. Timing wasn't right at the time and later picked up 12RT and rode across. I probably couldn't have picked a more comfy ride than 12RT but often wonder how I would've like the ZX. The ZX-14 I was looking at had been set up with Corbin saddles.