ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #556
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes
 
slartidbartfast's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
I read a 'shootout' in a moto journal years ago putting a then current sportbike up against, IIRC, a Corvette. The bike won the braking, acceleration (OK, physicists out there - it won just acceleration) but the 'vette had the corners.

I find it tough to believe that today's street legal automobiles would prevail over the hottest street legal bikes, though.
I remember the one (although I'm sure there have been several) FZR1000 against Corvette. I recall the details differently however. Bike out-accelerated, out-slalomed and possibly out-braked the car in a straight line. Car had a slight edge in continuous circling (G-force cornering) and theoretically had a higher top speed, although I think they indicated it would take the 'vette more than five miles to catch the bike if they took off together on a straight road. The thing I recall most however, was that, at the end of a weekend of testing, the car had gone through two sets of tires and brakes, the clutch was shot and it was sounding generally rough. The bike, however, was fine.

When you start talking about track vehicles, cars can pull higher G's in corners, which makes up for their wider track on most courses. Top Gear have done a couple of bike v's car shoot-outs with mixed results but usually favoring the car. Here's one:
__________________
MSF Ridercoach IBA: 35353 95 R1100GSA, 93 GTS1000, 85 R80RT, 93 DR350/435, 99 RX125, 78 DT100
January 2010 New Zealand South Island ride
Summer 2009 UK to Alps ride
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #557
slide
A nation in despair
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: NM, USA
Oddometer: 21,122
Yes, I intuited that which is why I specified street legal bikes vs street legal cars. We can also add that an $11k sportbike will outperform or match a quarter a million dollar Ferrari 599 in all or most categories aside from weather protection.

The sportbike will not demand a $5k service every 10.000 km either.
__________________
Why be born again when you can just grow up?
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #558
Thinc2
Paciugo
 
Thinc2's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 4,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
I remember the one (although I'm sure there have been several) FZR1000 against Corvette. I recall the details differently however. Bike out-accelerated, out-slalomed and possibly out-braked the car in a straight line. Car had a slight edge in continuous circling (G-force cornering) and theoretically had a higher top speed, although I think they indicated it would take the 'vette more than five miles to catch the bike if they took off together on a straight road. The thing I recall most however, was that, at the end of a weekend of testing, the car had gone through two sets of tires and brakes, the clutch was shot and it was sounding generally rough. The bike, however, was fine.

When you start talking about track vehicles, cars can pull higher G's in corners, which makes up for their wider track on most courses. Top Gear have done a couple of bike v's car shoot-outs with mixed results but usually favoring the car. Here's one:


"I'm not going to ride the bike because I'm a heterosexual"

"and i don't like wearing rubber trousers..."



Classic Top Gear.
__________________
Me: You should think before you speak.
Daughter: That always backfires on me.
F800GS review.
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #559
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Annapolis Maryland
Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by khager View Post
I see your point and do agree that cages have more lateral grip, and the penalty is not as high.

I am basically saying since the average cage is 6' wide and the average bike 2', the bike has 8' to play with in a 10' wide lane where as the cage has 4' and the bike can therefore use that space to straighten the corners a little, which is what the cage wants to do, but can't without coming out of his lane, so he has to stay pretty much on a fixed track.

So with that in mind I am saying the bike can carry more speed into and thru the corner. My opinion of course!
The bike can take a better line for sure in the corners in the lane on the bike you can late apex and start opening the radius up and standing it up to drive down the next straight away. It also some corners that are slightly decreasing radius for a car might end up being constant radius for you. Not to mention if you've got a bit of road with a bunch of left right kinks you can end up just keeping the bike more or less straight through them just switching which side of your lane on your compared to the car moving the car around allot.

I think the car would have a faster corner speed most of the time though, by that I mean in the slowest part of the corner the car would be going faster then the bike at it's slowest part of the corner, just the ability for the bike to use it's acceleration could make it faster.

The other thing you need to think about when comparing bikes to race cars is aero grip. F1 cars can easily do 4 to 5 g's under braking and in the corners at speed. Bikes don't get any more grip as they go faster.

For comparison Ferrari set an unoffical lap record at Laguna Seca of 1:05.7, motogp bikes where lapping around 1:21.

The tires make a huge difference too most car tires are going to be hard pressed to do more than about .95g and all seasons aren't going to do more than .85 or so some of the really stick summer tires and obviously race tires will start pushing it over 1g. Bikes basically always have race tires on them when compared to normal car tires.

crofrog screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 02:06 PM
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #560
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes
 
slartidbartfast's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2 View Post
"I'm not going to ride the bike because I'm a heterosexual"

"and i don't like wearing rubber trousers..."



Classic Top Gear.
Their latest S100RR v's top-of-the-line Aerial Atom race is not available on YouTube but had the car beating the bike by less than a second. The Atom also beat every other car ever raced on the Top Gear test track by more than a second, making the S100RR the second fastest street legal vehicle ever to lap the Top Gear track - faster than a $1,300,000+ Bugatti Veyron (or any other production car except an Atom)
__________________
MSF Ridercoach IBA: 35353 95 R1100GSA, 93 GTS1000, 85 R80RT, 93 DR350/435, 99 RX125, 78 DT100
January 2010 New Zealand South Island ride
Summer 2009 UK to Alps ride
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #561
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Annapolis Maryland
Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Their latest S100RR v's top-of-the-line Aerial Atom race is not available on YouTube but had the car beating the bike by less than a second. The Atom also beat every other car ever raced on the Top Gear test track by more than a second, making the S100RR the second fastest street legal vehicle ever to lap the Top Gear track - faster than a $1,300,000+ Bugatti Veyron (or any other production car except an Atom)
Article about it
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...op-gear-track/
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #562
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer
 
GI_JO_NATHAN's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Middle GA.....Aparently....
Oddometer: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon View Post


Ouch
That's awesome!
__________________
Jonathan
If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:06 AM   #563
TinyTrains
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TinyTrains's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Torrance CA
Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
Not Mulholland but this has to suck

French motorcycle publication Moto-Journal was doing a shoot when things went terribly wrong.

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2012/12/0...rt-pier-video/
__________________
2009 R1200R
1988 K75 Low Seat
TinyTrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:27 AM   #564
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer
 
Mambo Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: 11 ft. AMSL
Oddometer: 5,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyTrains View Post
French motorcycle publication Moto-Journal was doing a shoot when things went terribly wrong.

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2012/12/0...rt-pier-video/
Well then, considering the crazy stuff those guys do and film - I'm not quite sure 'wrong' is the way I'd describe it. They have one of the best online motorcycle shows I've seen even if I can't understand them.
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #565
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer
 
bwalsh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Hell town
Oddometer: 10,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGSROOT View Post
Wonder how the bike fared?
I gave it a 9.3 for the nice nose stand and the 180° pirouette...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGSROOT View Post
Yup.

"Le journaliste préféré des fans de Moto Journal a chuté dans le Port de Saint Martin pendant un tournage au guidon d'un FJR. Il s'en sort avec seulement un pouce luxé et quelques hématomes."

It says he hurt his thumb, and got a few bruises.

His ego probably suffered the most.
I was thinking it looked like some moto ad or a review.

He's lucky he didn't land on his back on the side of the boat. Could have turned out real bad.
__________________
2004 XR650L / 2001 R1150GS
NWVA TAG NWVA TAG MAP RTE THREAD & IN LIST



bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:54 PM   #566
ride4fun562
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ride4fun562's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: CA
Oddometer: 201
Rode the snake for the first time today, the fact that people always crash there is even funnier now that ive done it on knobbies without crashing.
ride4fun562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #567
slide
A nation in despair
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: NM, USA
Oddometer: 21,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4fun562 View Post
Rode the snake for the first time today, the fact that people always crash there is even funnier now that ive done it on knobbies without crashing.
Some of them exceeded 20 mph on the straight parts.
__________________
Why be born again when you can just grow up?
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #568
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Finland-Australia
Oddometer: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Their latest S100RR v's top-of-the-line Aerial Atom race is not available on YouTube but had the car beating the bike by less than a second. The Atom also beat every other car ever raced on the Top Gear test track by more than a second, making the S100RR the second fastest street legal vehicle ever to lap the Top Gear track - faster than a $1,300,000+ Bugatti Veyron (or any other production car except an Atom)
Something like the new Audi rs 6 quatro with 550 hp, while probably losing in acceleration and top speed, to a bike, it would be interesting to see how they'd go on a tight course.
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:44 AM   #569
Tepi
Studly Adventurer
 
Tepi's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Helsinki/Heinola Finland
Oddometer: 543
RS6 is a heavy car though. Generally though, cars have a higher top speed due to aerodynamics, bikes start to even off against cars at high speeds. A good rule of thumb is you'd need a 600hp car to beat a 600cc bike off the line and 1000hp to beat a 1000cc bike of the line.
Tepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #570
Against The Wind
I'm older now but still runnin'
 
Against The Wind's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Oddometer: 1,304
For the endth time, what is it about this curve on Mulholland that causes cars and bikes to break the back end loose? Too much speed? Too much rear brake?
__________________
Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then
Against The Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014