Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #181
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,015
Mine doesn't stall either, but I am good with the clutch in the slow stuff.

I finally solved the biggest problem.

After:

Before:

Hard to emphasize how bad the stock seat is. It is way too soft and offered no support. I even tried a sheepskin to no avail. Seat Concepts must've lucked into the secret sauce with their seat foam, and then they shaped it to take advantage of it. Lots of support and fairly firm. Brilliant!
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:24 PM   #182
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
I think our bikes need some treatment for the upper black shroud. Just seems unfinished. I want to get some kind of graphic made but I suck at creativity. Where are our artistic brethren?

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:20 AM   #183
noobinacan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
doh...Thanks, I'm totally psych'd now about adding this bike to the stable and some diversity on two wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc831 View Post
Well, since you can't get an auto clutch for the 690, it's a mute point.

My personal experience is its not needed for offroad. I've used an autoclutch/left hand rear brake in my offroad bikes since 02. More than half of those years were spent racing enduros on the west coast/baja. In April I did a long trip in Baja on the 530 where it was beyond reproach. In July I took my newly purchased 10 enduro to the OBCDR, fully loaded, and did very similar riding as I did in Baja.

The 690 was, simply put, outstanding. In SE Oregon in rock gardens that kept us to a crawl, the motor just will NOT stall out. I was amazed at how well it did in all types of offroad conditions. I would still buy an autoclutch if available, but it really isn't necessary, in my opinion.

noobinacan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:55 AM   #184
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Mine doesn't stall either, but I am good with the clutch in the slow stuff.

I finally solved the biggest problem.

Hard to emphasize how bad the stock seat is. It is way too soft and offered no support. I even tried a sheepskin to no avail. Seat Concepts must've lucked into the secret sauce with their seat foam, and then they shaped it to take advantage of it. Lots of support and fairly firm. Brilliant!
Agreed. They have a tall version coming out as well. Now I have to find a cheap stock seat to give that a try.
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:38 AM   #185
FechFech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Steering lock improvement on the '12 model ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNY View Post
I have an 08 and a 12 model...except for broken lower tanks bolts and a recent clutch slave cylinder replacement, the 08 has had no problems in nearly 12,000 miles...
Hi Skinny,

How much better is the steering lock on the '12 model over the '08 model ? I have a '09 model which I like a lot, except for the steering lock (or rather, the lack of it, it has a turning radius like a truck) and the crappy stock suspension. I'm thinking of upgrading to a '12 or '13 model because KTM claim they improved the steering lock. The suspension could be fixed on my bike of course, but I'd rather spend the money for a suspension job on a newer bike with better steering lock.

Cheers,

FechFech

- KTM 350 EXC-F for offroad riding
- GasGas 250 TXT for practicing offroad skills
FechFech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #186
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by FechFech View Post
Hi Skinny,

How much better is the steering lock on the '12 model over the '08 model ? I have a '09 model which I like a lot, except for the steering lock (or rather, the lack of it, it has a turning radius like a truck) and the crappy stock suspension. I'm thinking of upgrading to a '12 or '13 model because KTM claim they improved the steering lock. The suspension could be fixed on my bike of course, but I'd rather spend the money for a suspension job on a newer bike with better steering lock.

Cheers,

FechFech

- GasGas 250 TXT for practicing offroad skills
The steering lock is a lot better..
I noticed the difference as soon as I tried to put the 2012 model in my garage...
no more bouncing off my truck and my wife's car trying to thread my way between them.
Suspension is better also
Same travel as the 08 but much less harsh...
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:59 AM   #187
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,015
Quote:
I noticed the difference as soon as I tried to put the 2012 model in my garage...
no more bouncing off my truck and my wife's car trying to thread my way between them.
My suspension was very stiff until it broke in. I did 3 bike bike dual sport rides and that was enough to sweeten the ride. I think it's still on the stiff side in back, but not when I hit a washout or something. Sucks it up nicely.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:17 PM   #188
FechFech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
A reason to upgrade...

Quote:
Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear :-) I guess it's upgrade time soon...

A few pictures of my current (soon to be old) bike:

Ready for a rally-raid in Morocco:

In the dunes of Erg Chebbi in Morocco:

Between Merzouga and Missour:
FechFech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:40 AM   #189
sk1d00
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Okay, I guess this counts as a major problem:

No running lights, brake lights, accessory power, horn, indicators. I have checked fuses 6 and 7 (checked all in fact) and even changed fuses 6 and 7, I've unplugged the battery for a minute (this worked on my car for a past glitch) and unplugged the accessory cable (Garmin GPS62 charger). no joy.

The bike starts and runs fine but non of the above electricals work.

When I test rode the bike this issue occurred and the garage fixed it before I picked up the bike (the rear offside indicator was hanging off so I assumed this was breaking the circuit. It ran fine since then but now only 167 miles on the clock it has failed again. Not impressed. I've had lots of KTMs before and apart from a clutch master cylinder issue on my old 990 Adventure (on my way to sell it - it knew I reckon) they have been reliable.

Any ideas?

- I'm getting it picked (hopefully) by KTM assistance under warranty and I hope to persuade them to drop it back again FOC when fixed.
sk1d00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #190
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,116
I'd check the connections on the back end of the fuse block.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
'12 690 Enduro // 690 Wiki
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #191
Oldbear
Don't want a pickle

Oddometer: 202
Since those circuits both deal with rear lights I'd start by checking the wiring that goes to the tail. It's easy to get the cables pinched when you install the rear plastics and/or grab handle bolts.
Oldbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #192
sk1d00
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Thanks for the replies guys,

I had a looked at cables running into rear and the fuse box, no joy. One of the molex connectors was well loose (dunno how that would stay connected off-roading) but still no juice. I'll update once the dealer has fixed but my experience with this official KTM garage and electrics on past bikes has been a disappointment - twisted cables and sealed with electrical tape instead of heat shrink; very shoddy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
sk1d00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #193
leanin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
What did ktm do to improve the steering lock on the 2012? I've been trying to find the details but haven't found anything. A friend has an '08 and his biggest complaint is the turning radius. I'm trying to find out how the 2012 steering lock was improved and how significant it is.
leanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #194
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,877
New bottom triple clamp I beleive.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #195
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 727
So how many degrees steering (lock to lock) does it have and how does that compare to the earlier models? I would say that has been my single biggest gripe with my 09 and I would be willing to spend a little bit of money to decrease my turning radius.

Now that I think of it, my fork tubes touch the frame (actually just the headlight strap that attaches to the fork tubes) just after the lower triple clamp hits the radiator shroud so changing the triple clamp(s) alone wouldn't seem to increase steering lock. Hmm. There must be something more to this, or maybe it's all just smoke and mirrors!
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote