ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 07:34 AM   #5401
rpeterk
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Cream Ridge,nj
Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffWv View Post
Just did alot of raeding on this subject. All articles say that the rear tire up front needs to be reversed due to when the tire is made its for the force put against the carcuss and sidewalls. We will see Gonna go break them in

Yes power put thru the rear tire is way more then any braking force at the rear. When the rear tire is put on the front the arrow is reversed as a similar force is only generated during braking and non at all any other time. Since a bike does mose of its braking with the front it would be important to consider.
__________________
TAG PICS http://photobucket.com/rpeterk
Life is not about how many breaths you take, but about the moments that take your breath away.
OCCR Ocean County Competition Riders
http://www.occr.net/
rpeterk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:20 AM   #5402
BuffWv
Beastly Adventurer
 
BuffWv's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Hills of central wv(Gassaway Wv)
Oddometer: 2,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeterk View Post
Yes power put thru the rear tire is way more then any braking force at the rear. When the rear tire is put on the front the arrow is reversed as a similar force is only generated during braking and non at all any other time. Since a bike does mose of its braking with the front it would be important to consider.
Thats what I wanted to hear.
__________________
What seemed fast on a KLR is slow on a Versys
BuffWv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #5403
BuffWv
Beastly Adventurer
 
BuffWv's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Hills of central wv(Gassaway Wv)
Oddometer: 2,225
200 miles today and I love the tires.
__________________
What seemed fast on a KLR is slow on a Versys
BuffWv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #5404
jdrocks
Gravel Runner
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Oddometer: 4,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffWv View Post
200 miles today and I love the tires.

from my post 2 months ago...

"this tire question has been kicked around since forever. when i ran a 130/80 Tourance on the front, it was always with the rotation arrow, TKC the same.

when the question was asked of Metzler, here's what they had to say back in 2010...

From: Metzeler B2C Moto, US [sa.motobc01us@pirelli.com]
Sent: Fri 3/12/2010 8:17 AM

Subject: tourance tire - rear mounted on front

Hello
One should never run a tire backwards. The exception to this rule is if the tire is marked (at the sidewall arrow) as a dual rotation tire. This happens typically only with scooter tires but virtually never with a motorcycle tire.

Tire's have a tread pattern and tread cap (compound) orientation that is important to the safe handling of the application and by running the tire backwards one could help fester a future problem with the tire..."

i wore out a couple 130/80 fronts running with the arrow, something like 16000 miles, but to each their own.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #5405
BuffWv
Beastly Adventurer
 
BuffWv's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Hills of central wv(Gassaway Wv)
Oddometer: 2,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
from my post 2 months ago...

"this tire question has been kicked around since forever. when i ran a 130/80 Tourance on the front, it was always with the rotation arrow, TKC the same.

when the question was asked of Metzler, here's what they had to say back in 2010...

From: Metzeler B2C Moto, US [sa.motobc01us@pirelli.com]
Sent: Fri 3/12/2010 8:17 AM

Subject: tourance tire - rear mounted on front

Hello
One should never run a tire backwards. The exception to this rule is if the tire is marked (at the sidewall arrow) as a dual rotation tire. This happens typically only with scooter tires but virtually never with a motorcycle tire.

Tire's have a tread pattern and tread cap (compound) orientation that is important to the safe handling of the application and by running the tire backwards one could help fester a future problem with the tire..."

i wore out a couple 130/80 fronts running with the arrow, something like 16000 miles, but to each their own.
Hey JD cant I just flip the rim since its a dual rotor set up...
__________________
What seemed fast on a KLR is slow on a Versys
BuffWv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #5406
lowflyer43
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: east of boley creek, south mississippi
Oddometer: 33
OK, I just looked to make sure, I thought I had noticed it, but the rims are directional. There is an arrow on the wheel up where the spokes and hub merge behind the rotors. I would be more concerned with the wheel direction, because of wheel loading during braking. A tire coming apart is one thing, a wheel failure could be catastrophic.. I would think twice before attempting to flip it just to solve a mounting issue.

I didn't mean to jump in on JD's question, this is just my input on the subject.
lowflyer43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:52 AM   #5407
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer
 
outsidein's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Canada
Oddometer: 431
Tires are directional primarily because of the tread pattern. Tread patterns are designed to evacuate water to the outside of a turn when the bike is leaned. There may also be issues with the way the belts are oriented but this would be secondary to the tread pattern since rear tires have to take loading in both directions (brake and engine). If you reverse the direction you are going to hydroplane in rain.

I have not seen any directional markings on my stock front rim. Did I miss them? Where do I look for them?
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:27 AM   #5408
motopreserve
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 128
There is definitely a small arrow, as mentioned earlier, on the front rim. Just been mounting a new set of wheels and noticed it for the first time. Fortunately, the place that mounted the tires took it into consideration (or got lucky!) and got the tires and wheel direction correct.
__________________
Kawasaki Versys**CL360 Project**Honda CB 550**Husky TE610**'72 XL250 for the lady

MotoPreserve -- a blog about wrenching on bikes in Barre, VT...
motopreserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #5409
jdrocks
Gravel Runner
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Oddometer: 4,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsidein View Post
If you reverse the direction you are going to hydroplane in rain.
really?

in your specific case, with the 130/80 Shinko mounted on the front, or any other similar tread pattern tire in 130/80 mounted on the front of your Versys, did you mount with the arrow or backwards? let's assume you run these tires backwards, and have no experience or miles running the same tires mounted forward, or with the manufacturer's direction arrow.

if that's the case, why make an evaluation based on zero usage?

two of the longest range Versys riders i can name offhand both have run 130/80 fronts from the outset, and both mounted the tires with the direction arrow. one rider runs the Shinko 705 and the other one Tourance, multiple sets of tires, combined miles must be over 150,000 at this point. when asked the question directly, both said they would continue running this exact setup. no tire performance issues were reported by either rider, and both reported exceptional front tire life.

in 150,000 miles, it might have rained on them a time or two.

i had no problems with my 130/80 Tourance either, all roads, all conditions.

i know how i would mount these tires, how anyone else mounts them is their business.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #5410
BuffWv
Beastly Adventurer
 
BuffWv's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Hills of central wv(Gassaway Wv)
Oddometer: 2,225
Ok so there is an Arrow on the front rim. I looked and I found it so thats put to rest. I went back and looked at the web site and the Front tires of the 705 make is actually in the reverse pattern as in the rear make. Saying that the tire is a Radial not a bias make reversing the tires direction will have no adverse effect on the tire itself. Sorry I opened up the Tire Thread again
__________________
What seemed fast on a KLR is slow on a Versys
BuffWv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #5411
ashex
n00b
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Oddometer: 4
Another Versys rider here, Been riding an '08 for a little over a month now (put about 1k on it so far).

Has anyone switched from a Two Brother juice box to a PCIII? I disconnected the juice box on mine as it kept backfiring when I let up on the throttle, planning to get a PCIII in the spring.
ashex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #5412
Baron650
650x2
 
Baron650's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Stumptown
Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashex View Post
Another Versys rider here, Been riding an '08 for a little over a month now (put about 1k on it so far).

Has anyone switched from a Two Brother juice box to a PCIII? I disconnected the juice box on mine as it kept backfiring when I let up on the throttle, planning to get a PCIII in the spring.
Are you running a slip-on? U.S. Bike?
I think you may need to block off the air injection, check the Versys Forum for good tech info.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/

Baron650 screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 06:49 PM Reason: left out my linky
Baron650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:41 PM   #5413
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer
 
RedRockRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: St. George, UT
Oddometer: 1,350
A few pics from Southwest UT

Kolob Reservoir Road of Zion National Park.




Old Highway #91 on backside of Utah Hill.




Kolob Canyons section of Zion National Park.




Highway 93 in eastern Nevada.




Near Lund, Utah.




Dry lake, near Parowan, UT

__________________

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976

RedRockRider screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 11:46 PM
RedRockRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:28 AM   #5414
MaverickAus
Studly Adventurer
 
MaverickAus's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Heaven on Earth
Oddometer: 942
My 2012 between Long Flat and Gingers Creek on the Oxley Highway

__________________
1999 KDX 200, 1996 KLR 250, 2006 KLX 331 R , 2006 CT110X, 2012 Versys, 2001 ZRX 1200 R
MaverickAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #5415
ashex
n00b
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
Are you running a slip-on? U.S. Bike?
I think you may need to block off the air injection, check the Versys Forum for good tech info.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/

I do have a slip-on (two brothers), didn't considering doing that. I've been on the Versys Forum, finding info can just be a pain but I'll look up doing that. I did track down a PCV for an awesome price though so once I've got it I'll get the bike tuned properly.
ashex is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014