ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 08:13 PM   #31
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart bob View Post
I rode Jack Pine in '64 and '66. Yes, I'm older than dirt. Still have my Jack Pine Cow Bell t-shirts. I still favor the area around Baldwin because of the extensive motor sport trail system. The state even has detail trail maps. T-Squared, Charley, Road Goat, all you guys, what do you think?
Yeah baby, Jackpiners rock! I don't have a old bike and probably never will....so I doubt it. Nice idea though.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #32
CharlieT
old school

Oddometer: 1,597
Hey old goat.....we got a DS in the showroom for sale that's right up your alley.....a Honda SL70!

Or if you want a twin shock 2/, a customer has an excellant condition '75 DT 175 he's selling for a very reasonable $900.

We'll find ya something to ride.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Checke...22319847810910
CharlieT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #33
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieT View Post
Hey old goat.....we got a DS in the showroom for sale that's right up your alley.....a Honda SL70!

Or if you want a twin shock 2/, a customer has an excellant condition '75 DT 175 he's selling for a very reasonable $900.

We'll find ya something to ride.
Whats the weight capacity on those bikes? I had a DT 175 forty pounds ago.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #34
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
The CCC is such a great organization. MI has one of the best trail systems in the country because of them.. I use to come up for the Phillip Bean Memorial Ride each year. What a fantsastic group.

Depending on the area I might be a little worried about sand whoops on something really vintage.

Could bring my 93 GS or 90 Tengai if the cutoff is 20 years.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #35
CharlieT
old school

Oddometer: 1,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
Whats the weight capacity on those bikes? I had a DT 175 forty pounds ago.
Oh hell, it carry your still skinny arse around with no problem.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Checke...22319847810910
CharlieT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #36
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,737
You crybabies are killin me here. There's plenty of single track thats not whooped. CCC is grooming maybe 700 miles of trail a year. What was whooped out last year might be pristine next time. Truthfully, the longest whoop section I can even remember was maybe a mile or two straight. The worst of it is found on the ORV routes not the motorcycle trail. Yeah, it sukked, but there is always and end to it. As far as riding a vintage bike on it, just slow down, take it easy and suck it up. Properly prepped, the old bikes are just as capable as they ever were. The only thing thats changed over the years is us.

Too much of this; :bm wrider

And not enough of this;
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #37
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,304
Grooming sand trails is useless fastdadio....they are just as whooped out after 10 bikes go down them as they were before. I would not run my MODERN bike on the BigO loop by my cottage. There is not 50 consecutive ft. of it that are not stadium whoops. It would really not be fun with 4 in . of travel as fast as I ride single track. A vintage bike would have a blown out rear shock(s) in about 5 miles. Just so people know what they are getting themselves into and are not disappointed.The only place you could even begin to ride is way up in the NW UP away from all the population centers.These bikes were made for a kinder ,gentler trail system than this one.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #38
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Who you calling a crybaby?..They groom trails?. What will they think of next, dirt bikes with GPS?
Old 12-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #39
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Jeff, your such a killjoy.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:22 PM   #40
little john OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
hey All, thanks for the responsees and intrest! I dont know that any of this would come off as more than fun run in '013. I receiently picked up a '74TS 185 suzuki which is what my first bike was that I want to restore to ridable, not show quality, so that means I need to get it ridable by summer to make it happen...and as Mad Wrench was quick to point out the only way I will ever own something vintage,and show quality would to have it hermeticaly sealed 10 days before I bought it and stored in a bomb shelter for 25 years. my thought was to do something TWAT kind of style up in the Forest -Marinette Counties(wi)area gravle, 2 track, little sand road-atv- connector type stuff.just a good fun day of trail riding, probably no hero stuff, because I see this as a personal project and dont want to take the time to bursh trail instead of just find ridable stuff. Vintage= I had 2 lines of thought there the -1st AMA/dist version of 20 or 25 years old/ no disc brakes/ twin shock, or2nd a rule of 85 your age plus your bikes age must add up to a minium of 85, so MadWrench could drive his 2004 KTM EXC200 and make the cut off!!! the other exemption would be allow bikes over 900cc, with street tires to help bring things to a level feild too. So if this is truely an intrest and there are enough guys and gals that would be interested, I think it would be a fun day ride, so let me know and I'll try to start working on it. thanks John
little john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:05 AM   #41
old fart bob
Armchair adventurer

Oddometer: 81
25 year rule

Personally I like the 25 year rule. The 85 rule means I could ride a 1998 something or the other as long as it doesn't have disc brakes.
old fart bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #42
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

25 year rule? That seems like yesterday....There should be a 35 year rule. Untill I got my DR I never had dual disc. Disc brakes are overrated. My Bultacos never had trouble stopping....unless it had rained in the last few days.