User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #1
Missiongravity OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Puntos Del Sur...Edicion nueva

So this is the first post of what I hope to be a growing TR. I am in Baja California currently sitting at La Morena drinking Pacifico and downing ceviche. I have been on the road for a week and a day at this point with as much as four months or as few as two weeks to go. Time will tell how the bank account fares and how long this trip will continue.

I will stick mostly to posting pics as I have the wit and writing ability of a sixth grader!

I almost forgot, here is the link to my SPOT TrackMy Progress Page: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...fonoDvVWPELJY7

So here goes:

Departure:

Donner Pass

Los Osos CA, thanks to Ponies Ate My Bagel for the floor space.

Ensendada

Los Canadas B.C. GPS 31*39'43" N 116*31'08" W

Rosario B.C.

CoCo's Corner, if passing by YOU HAVE TO stop!!

http://www.cocoscorner.com/

Isle De La Muerte

Cerveza Grande

El Campo Sueno- If you don't know, ask me!

Missiongravity screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 04:27 PM
Missiongravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
WilderRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,775
Old 11-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
BamaTexRider
MOTO-MIKE

Oddometer: 41
Happy Trails, Great choice in bike.
BamaTexRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,783
You're pics are telling the story fine but don't be shy, tell us what's on your mind.
I'm planning on heading that way this coming spring and have my potential riding partner watching this link. Convince her there's nothing to worry about in Mexico.
Great photos!

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
Missiongravity OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4321 View Post
You're pics are telling the story fine but don't be shy, tell us what's on your mind.
I'm planning on heading that way this coming spring and have my potential riding partner watching this link. Convince her there's nothing to worry about in Mexico.
Great photos!
So far in my travels in Mexico/Central America have been nothing but a pleasure. Not one bribe becessary. Usually get waved right through the Military check points and they are more interested in ogling the bikes than they are in whats in the side boxes.

Everywhere we go the people are excited to meet you and chat with you in what english they have. We have been offered places to stay and food to eat even when we just want a place to lay out our sleeping bags.

At Las Canadas on the west coast north of St Puerte Tomas the locals came to hang out and even scavenged firewood for us and built us a fire and wouldn't even accept our beers. They chatted with us and hung most of the evening in awe of "how silly" we are for sleeping in the dirt.

Tell your potential riding partner to read through all the "Is Mexico Safe" threads and stop watching Foxnews.

Come enjoy a slower pace!
Old 11-25-2012, 08:01 PM   #6
Missiongravity OP
Adventurer

So we are currently back in Ensenada for the night. I have met up with a Swede on KLR and we may head south in the AM or I may head down solo. Hoping to make Guerrero Negro by the night time. Then on to Mulege for a night. Eventually to La Paz where I will catch the ferry to Mazatlan like every other gringo rider down here.

Again, here is my SPOT beacon page: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...fonoDvVWPELJY7

It looks like someone gave a dyslexic person a map.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #7
Missiongravity OP
Adventurer

So after a loop back up to the north through San Felipe and back to Ensenada for a night I am at the same hotel in El Rosario that I spent a night in four or five days ago. I have met up with a Swiss fella and we are riding South for a few days together. Not sure how long we will share company but he is hilarious.

Not many pics up yet but will organize a real post later.

For now I call this one Morning Coffee:

Old 11-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
Missiongravity OP
Adventurer

Alright so here is a real quick photo update. Nothing special as the last two days have basically been a repeat.

The first equipment failure. The little hose clamps that couldn't:

In Ensenada there are hourly rates at almost all hotels!! We skipped this one.

The Swiss, The Alaskan and The Southerner:

Cactus Farming

Strawberry Farming
Old 11-27-2012, 06:18 AM   #9
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,590
Más, por favor
Old 11-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #10
Missiongravity OP
Adventurer

And it continues....

At the time of the last update I was in Ensenada for the second time on this trip and while I was losing one friend on this journey, I gained another. Lindsay had to head home and Ben the Swiss fella was heading south. So we rolled out of Ensenada and the comedy began.

We left Ensenada and made it to El Rosario where we stayed at the Cactus Inn or maybe it was the Baja Cactus. Either way, if you are on the road South this place is a great deal and is really nice for the price. It is the very first hotel you hit when heading in to town from the North.

We met five other riders there and many beers and stories/lies were shared!

The next morning Ben and I rolled out thinking we would maybe make it to Guerrero Negro. We decided that we would just go to Bahia Los Angeles instead. While not a mistake I was not impressed with BLA. Upon arrival we realized that while we had plenty of food and water we had only enough cash to refill our tanks with petrol and hope the fumes got us to Guerrero Negro where there would be an ATM. We slept in the sand and the next morning we left early for G.Negro.

About 30 miles before G. Negro we spotted a lone bicyclist that we had seen pedaling through the desert the day before. I put on the turn signal and we pulled over to have a chat. Turns out she was wanting to make it to G. Negro as well.

We parted ways and headed to G. Negro where we would hopefully replenish the coffers with Pesos. I had great luck and squirreled cash away in a few hiding spots as to avoid the previous dilemma we encountered in Bahia De Los Angeles. Unfortunately the Swiss didn't have the same luck I did with his Debit card and this began a 3 day and still going drama to get cash to continue his trip.

While riding back to meet the Swiss I see the bicyclist we had chatted with earlier. I pulled along side and we decided to look for a room for the night. While chewing the fat a Deutsch fella pulled up on a KLR with more stuff than any one person should ever have strapped to a motorcycle. We all talked and then agreed to split a room four ways. The hunt for a suitable room began.

We found a room after a few and commenced to drinking beers. After four or five it was time to track down some food. This was uneventful and we then made our way back to the hotel where more beer was had and a few locals joined in on the action.

Over the course of the evening a quite possibly disastrous plan was hatched. The next morning we would strap the bicycle to the back of my back and all the panniers it carried to other various parts of my bike. Then somehow make room for Heather to sit! After breakfast and the haze of the hangover lifted the head scratching began. Thirty minutes later everything was securely attached and we were ready to roll!

The ride to Santa Rosalia was fairly uneventful and we bought rations for the evening and more beer! We made our way towards the beach to find camping and the rest can best be told with photos. So here is a fairly photo heavy update. I hope y'all enjoy!!

The German even carries a PRINTER

Old 12-01-2012, 05:40 AM   #11
noshoes
soñando con México

Oddometer: 2,085
Sweet.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #12
Missiongravity OP
Adventurer

So we just arrived in the city of Durango! After putzing around in traffic for thirty minutes we stumbled upon one hell of a hotel right in the middle of the town plaza directly across from the centuries old Cathedral. We are showering off a few days worth of the road and then out for drinks. I should have time a little later to get up a full report with more pics and maybe if I am lucky some video!

Cheers!
Old 12-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #13
Missiongravity OP
Adventurer

Okay. So it has been a little over a week or maybe it has been two. I don't know.

We have been from Guerrero Negro to La Paz to Cerritos/Todos Santos to Cabo and back to LaPaz. We caught the ferry and bee lined for the Devil's Backbone which goes up to Durango. Then we rode back on an active construction zone for around 100km to check out the world's newest tallest bridge. Spanning a small gorge in between Durango and Mazatlan. I think only in Latin America can three dudes on motorcycles ride through a fully active construction zone with rock blasting, paving, tunnel building and whatever else you can think of going on!

I will post some random photos now as not everything is uploaded but I will try to get things in chronological order soon.

So here goes!

BEST fish tacos. Ever. Ever. In Sayulita. If you go there eat at this ladies stand....Amazing.

Highway to the Danger Zone!!

I tried stand up paddle boarding. I think I was doing it wrong.

Great Parking in Durango. This is a four hundred year old hotel!!

Todos Santos and the famous Hotel California

Absolutely amazing surf at Playa Cerritos

Camping with quite a crew!

I finally found where Al Gore is hiding it.

Awesome camping in Los Barriles

On the ferry

One of a thousand vistas on the Devils Backbone. I highly recommend it if you have the nerve to stare down a Semi in a turn at 60mph.

More pics to come as I get them uploaded.

I hope to beat a lousy sinus infection I picked up. I think I will sun and sand it away for a few more days here in Sayulita!

Cheers