User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
magallanas OP
AK to Mexico commuter

Oddometer: 163
looking for tank bag and crossbar

Just got a new GSA, and now I need a cross bar for my TT GPS mount to latch on to....any suggestions of what may be out there to add onto the bar??

And I'm also looking for a tank bag that has a nice option to put a decent size map in..... TT looks like they may have a nice one but they sure want lots of $$$ for it. Any suggestions or reviews??

Thanks in advance!
magallanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,194
I have my TT GPS mount bolted to the stock windshield support bar on the GSA. Right in line of sight. Unless I am misunderstanding you what else do you need, or are you trying to get the GPS closer to you?
Old 12-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
magallanas OP
AK to Mexico commuter

Oddometer: 163
ihendrik, did you have to purchase a piece from TT to do so? All I can use my old mount is for the cross bar. I would prefer it up above the computer cluster....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik View Post
I have my TT GPS mount bolted to the stock windshield support bar on the GSA. Right in line of sight. Unless I am misunderstanding you what else do you need, or are you trying to get the GPS closer to you?
magallanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
ultane
sqeezin the bag

Oddometer: 1,070
You can mount it on the top windshield support bar.

I might be wrong... Just ask my X...

Sent from my rotary dial iPhone using Tapatalk

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,..
Is he still wrong?
ultane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:11 AM   #5
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by magallanas View Post
ihendrik, did you have to purchase a piece from TT to do so? All I can use my old mount is for the cross bar. I would prefer it up above the computer cluster....
If your mount looks like this on the back then that's all you need:
Old 12-06-2012, 07:24 AM   #6
BigDave75
Will Work for Food!

Oddometer: 1,716
My GPS is on the top windshield support bar. Works great right there, I am using the BMW unit made by Garmin.

I bought a bags-connection tank bag but havent mounted it because the mounting lock ring that goes on the gas cap puts it too far forward and it interferes with the turning radius of the bars. Going to use that one on my Kawasaki and get a smaller one for the GS.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:56 AM   #7
ACD
old nOOb

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave75 View Post
My GPS is on the top windshield support bar. Works great right there, I am using the BMW unit made by Garmin.

I bought a bags-connection tank bag but havent mounted it because the mounting lock ring that goes on the gas cap puts it too far forward and it interferes with the turning radius of the bars. Going to use that one on my Kawasaki and get a smaller one for the GS.
I mounted a Garmin 660 like that but had a few issues: lots of vibration, too far to operate and impossible to read. On my 1150 I had it mounted on the crossbar and worked great, so I purchased an OEM crossbar for my 1200GSA and installed the GPS on it. Much closer to me, I don´t have to bend forward to press the buttons. Be aware that installation of a crossbar may interfere with tank bags.
ACD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #8
ACD
old nOOb

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik View Post
If your mount looks like this on the back then that's all you need:
Mine is mounted exactly like that, and the TT mount also came with a RAM ball plate so you can install it either way.
ACD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:56 AM   #9
Iron Rey
Oh shit, not him!

Oddometer: 816
I installed one that was made by Tom Dowell of Excel Cycle Works, he did sell his business, but here is what I have;

This is my first incarnation, later, I added a TT lockable mount but I had to keep the swivel base as the TT mount will only adjust on the tilt axis.

I belive Tom sold his business and inventory to Micatech so all of these items should still be available, the bar and mounts are stainless and it is held in place by the mirror posts, works great, I actually had this originally installed on my '08 GSA, so it has well over 150K in milage on it.
Iron Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #10
Iron Rey
Oh shit, not him!

Oddometer: 816
I decided to go out and take some pictures of how it looks now;

This pic is with the addition of the TT mounts, pricey but worth it in my book, even if they are a wee bit over-engineered...

This is the TT mount mounted on an Excel Cycle Works swivel, allows rotational adjustment, it does take a bit of patience and finaggeling to make it work.

Another swivel pad mount that I use for the Garmin 665, and yes, it is still the biggest POS I have EVER purchased for any of my bikes!

Not a real good picture but it will give you some idea of how you can mount to the windshield brace, be careful, that bar is very thin and crushes real easily.

As far as the tank bag goes, I always hated them but used them for many years, finally, I got the idea to mount one of my can top bags to the back, I electrified it, can throw my phone in there (blutooth to helmet for music and calls if I must), I also charge my CPAP battery in there for motorcycle camping. When I have gear packed here, I just mount it back on the top of the can.

Another view, and yes, the pillion seat, both the stock and RDL fit just fine with it in place. As far as the bags go, they are from Wunderlich (I am sure I spelled it incorrectly) and amazingly relatively inexpensive, the are semi waterproof but I keep most things in ziplocks for protection anyway.
Iron Rey is offline   Reply With Quote