ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #1
mreimler OP
Adventure Crasher

Oddometer: 333
Who is the TuneECU Guru in MN?

If you know who they are or you are "that guy", let me know. I'm willing to pay real money to get my 990 Adventure running spot on.

I'd also be willing to host a TuneECU Tech Day. I'll provide space, tools, bike lift and drinks/snacks. You provide the knowledge.
mreimler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
mreimler OP
Adventure Crasher

No TuneECU guru's in MN?????

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Old 12-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
mreimler OP
Adventure Crasher

One more time. Anyone in the midwest really know their way around TuneECU and a KTM 990?
Old 12-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
propforward
PIE! Freakazoid

Oddometer: 10,720
I guess you are about to become the guru.

Sorry, I've heard it's good, but never used it.

ADV Normus Memorial PIE! map
propforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
*Gravy*
Jedi Loser

Oddometer: 3,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreimler View Post
If you know who they are or you are "that guy", let me know. I'm willing to pay real money to get my 990 Adventure running spot on.

I'd also be willing to host a TuneECU Tech Day. I'll provide space, tools, bike lift and drinks/snacks. You provide the knowledge.
Leave your money and 990 with me, I'll take care of the rest
Old 12-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 8,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by propforward View Post
I guess you are about to become the guru.

Yep, looks like it's you so far...

Uh, how about a KTM dealer? Doesn't seem to be many left, maybe Larson's or DSC. Seems like the internet is smarter than most dealers so DIY first.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
Metallic Waste
Wearing the Cone Of Shame

Oddometer: 3,767
Has Crosstown Cycles not been mentioned? If Pat can't do it, he knows someone who can.
-K

--GSAnderson
Metallic Waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:29 AM   #8
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
I tried to find help in the Cleveland oh area last year and not a dealer, shop, or person could be found. So I loaded the bike up and headed to Birmingham,AL and had Wayne Tripp of Power Tripp Performance dyno tune and install a set of Super Duke cams in 2007 Adventure. He was $500 and the bike ran great. MY mileage improved from 24 to 40 mpg and it was actual fun to ride.
A second option is Ken Wheeler at Wheeler Cycle on US 129 just east of The Tail Of the Dragon. He is very good and has a KLR that you can use for the day while he dyno tunes your bike with Tune ECU.
Your best option might be a road trip!
Old 12-05-2012, 06:45 AM   #9
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,629
Unfortunately Ken is probably right, you'll have to travel out state to get it done properly.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
OZbeemer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbike View Post
I tried to find help in the Cleveland oh area last year and not a dealer, shop, or person could be found. So I loaded the bike up and headed to Birmingham,AL and had Wayne Tripp of Power Tripp Performance dyno tune and install a set of Super Duke cams in 2007 Adventure. He was $500 and the bike ran great. MY mileage improved from 24 to 40 mpg and it was actual fun to ride.
A second option is Ken Wheeler at Wheeler Cycle on US 129 just east of The Tail Of the Dragon. He is very good and has a KLR that you can use for the day while he dyno tunes your bike with Tune ECU.
Your best option might be a road trip!
What was the reasoning behind installing the cams from the super duke?? I am in research mode for my 2008 990 adv.
-Spikehead
OZbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #11
mreimler OP
Adventure Crasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster View Post
Unfortunately Ken is probably right, you'll have to travel out state to get it done properly.
Sad, but that's what I figured. I will give Pat a call, just to see...
Old 12-06-2012, 02:06 AM   #12
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
I am a speed nut and the Super Duke cams add about 6 hp and improve mid range power. The stock Adv cam has the same profile as a KLR cam so I decided to go with the Super Duke. My bike pulls great, in fact I went from a 45 tooth rear sprocket back to the stock 42 tooth and it still will pull the front tire in first and second under WOT.
I also have a Motor Hooligan air box, RC8 intake trumpets, and Remus Roxx 2 into 1 exhaust.
If you are going for a Dyno tune, get all of your aftermarket items installed before!
My bikes was 83 before and 92 after on the dyno but the low end power really improved. It had the Akra map and was getting 26 mpg and was running rough. When Wayne tuned it he had to increase the timing advance in the lower 3 gears in some spots 15 degrees. The stock mapping is really screwed up at lower rpm's. WOT was ok just required more fuel to get the AR in the 13 to 1 zone.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #13
mreimler OP
Adventure Crasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbike View Post
I am a speed nut and the Super Duke cams add about 6 hp and improve mid range power.
Where did you get your work done?
Old 12-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #14
Critic
More or less!

Oddometer: 1,215
I have a 2007 Adv 990 with 11,005 miles on the clock. Throttle jerk started around 5 to 6000 miles, slowly getting worse. I tried balancing the throttle cables, which helped. Keeping the chain taught, which helps. Then replaced the throttle tube with a G2 to smooth throttle action, which made it worse.So last week, I took my bike to Thunder Power Sports' mechanic Tim. We had talked over the problem; I told him what I thought needed done and agreed. He checked valves, sync'd throttle bodies, installed new plugs, and installed a Dyna Jet "Power Commander". Today, I paid my bill ($$$), then rode the 40 miles home. It has smooth steady power with the feel of more mid range witout surging. So, it looks like money well spent!

When checked, there were no fault codes with throttle bodies and valves in spec!
past:BigBear250,T100cs,Savage250s,TS185,DT175,GT550,TY250,XR200/350/250,R75/7,Ft500,RD350,YZ125,KDX175,SP500,K1000rs,DR250,883,S1,ST2,KLX650,KE100,GS1000,Monster,Vstr om1000&650,950adv,625sxc,250SSherpa,530exc,990adv, 690e
Critic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #15
snbrd4evr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Sorry to bump and older thread. But I think this question belongs here.

Does anyone have a tuneecu cable I can borrow/rent in a couple weeks?

I'm picking up a 690 enduro r down in Michigan and riding it back. But I have an evo 1 airbox/uni filter to install and it already has a wings slip-on. All I need is the cable for a day and I'd be golden. Thanks! Oh, and I'd be willing to pick it up and drop it off (obviously).
snbrd4evr is offline   Reply With Quote