Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 06:31 AM   #781
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,374
Hola Juan,
if you are on your way to Ahuachapan you might get a chance to meet one of the best guys in Salvador, my good friend Mario,aka marior97 . I paste his post from last night

Will head your way tomorrow afternoon
I have a pick up and place to keep the bike safe
Hope we can help and at the moment double the Demerol !
See you tomorrow
Mario

Ride safe
Old 12-05-2012, 07:51 AM   #782
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,460
I admire you guys for stepping froward to help out Edzactamundo.
PAPA
SJTRA
Old 12-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #783
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
I will be hitting Ulysses donate button on his blog later this morning... Gotta have coffee first.

Since you are somewhat detached from this shunt, you will be the calmer head on site Juanito.
Best of luck and we expect a full report in this thread, please.
Hi OldPete,

Arrived at sunset and these guys have everything under control. Uploading photos now. Back in a moment.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 12-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #784
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
Hola Juan,
if you are on your way to Ahuachapan you might get a chance to meet one of the best guys in Salvador, my good friend Mario,aka marior97 . I paste his post from last night

Will head your way tomorrow afternoon
I have a pick up and place to keep the bike safe
Hope we can help and at the moment double the Demerol !
See you tomorrow
Mario

Ride safe
Hola Julio,

As luck would have it I arrived at the hospital in time to meet Mario. What a great guy! I think I might have to go visit his shop in San Salvador and fix my leaking oil filter O-ring.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 12-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #785
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Had a great day riding today! The Mayan Sherpa goddess led the way from the front. I took screen shots of the driving directions last night on maps.google.com so I could check where the hell I was supposed to turn. I have gotten plenty lost on the way to the El Salvador border in Guat before. Today I didn't even have to check Señorita Garmeen to see where the heck I was. Which is good because the maps I have of Guatemala leave a lot to be desired.

Rode like a Guatemalan from sun up to sun down. Only had to actually leave the roadway twice to avoid oncoming trucks. Once in the ditch and once on the shoulder. So all in all a good day.

Stopped on top of the bridge over the Rio Dulce and took some shots:

But mostly just rode and stopped at two of these:

And one of these:

And after 350 miles arrived in Ahuan whatever the name is and asked these two guys where the hospital was:

They pointed across the street. Que bueno I made it. Here's our hero:

And his compadres Kurt and Bryce on the right:

Party time for the camionetta crusher:

I am happy to report that Justin is doing fine and is in good hands and fine spirits. Cory and Kurt from British Colombia are here as is Bryce. I arrived just in time to meet Mario97 who had just taken care of getting Justin's KTM to a safe storage place. It is pretty much a parts bike now. Justin looks great. Much better than the truck that ran into him. He put a world of hurt on that truck. I am so amazed he didn't hurt himself worse.

As it is, Justins family are coming down tomorrow, Bryce is heading down to Panama to catch his boat to Colombia and us 4 are staying in the hospital in rooms down the hall. Not sure how long. I might go to San Salvador with Bryce and visit Mario's shop and see about fixing the oil leak that's been coating my right boot for the last 7000 miles.

Kurt and Cory went brought pizza and beer and it was time to party at the hospital. Justin gets codeine so no pizza and beer for him.

There is no internet at the hospital so I came down the street to post these pics and I'm heading back to room 3C.

I spent 180 quetzals and seven dollars today however much that is.

Buenos noches,
Juanito
Old 12-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #786
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,425
So all is good considering.
Hope he is getting stool softeners along with the codeine because after three days he will be passing a hard ball.
Don't ask how I know. So he should be taking them too.

Best,
OldPete
Old 12-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #787
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb

Good news , glad everything is better as expected !!!

Enjoy your pizza and the Pilsener
Old 12-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #788
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 887
Great RR

Dear John,
I have been lurking until I caught up, truly enjoy following along and hope you will get to the end of SA but not in a rush so we can have the whole winter your stories.
This is just awesome and much better than any magazine; no reality show can ever beat this either, and I owe it to your traveling and storytelling talents. In fact I stopped watching TV long ago and only seek experiences such as reading your posts or watching real life documentaries or reading travel books.
Last summer I took my longest ride one month to Alaska on my now 83,000 miles 1200 GS and am wondering how to pamper her so she can take me down to Tierra del Fuego sometime next year as it's my only steed. I have traveled in Mexico few times with moto tours but this time would like to try and do on my own as life and finances are tougher.
Really enjoy the thought provoking discussions your trip generate around here on how to live a full ADV life on the cheap and for longest. What do you do for health insurance if anything. I was also curious why you referenced a Romanian in earlier posts as I am one myself being an expat in US for few decades now.
I sent you a small gratitude fee for generously sharing this part of your life.
Please stay safe and you seem to need no further encouragement on knowing how to enjoy the trip, you are an inspiration for others on how life could be lived.
Best,
Vic

mylongestride.blogspot.com
Old 12-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #789
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Dear John,
I have been lurking until I caught up, truly enjoy following along and hope you will get to the end of SA but not in a rush so we can have the whole winter your stories.
This is just awesome and much better than any magazine; no reality show can ever beat this either, and I owe it to your traveling and storytelling talents. In fact I stopped watching TV long ago and only seek experiences such as reading your posts or watching real life documentaries or reading travel books.
Last summer I took my longest ride one month to Alaska on my now 83,000 miles 1200 GS and am wondering how to pamper her so she can take me down to Tierra del Fuego sometime next year as it's my only steed. I have traveled in Mexico few times with moto tours but this time would like to try and do on my own as life and finances are tougher.
Really enjoy the thought provoking discussions your trip generate around here on how to live a full ADV life on the cheap and for longest. What do you do for health insurance if anything. I was also curious why you referenced a Romanian in earlier posts as I am one myself being an expat in US for few decades now.
I sent you a small gratitude fee for generously sharing this part of your life.
Please stay safe and you seem to need no further encouragement on knowing how to enjoy the trip, you are an inspiration for others on how life could be lived.
Best,
Vic

mylongestride.blogspot.com
Hi Vic,

Nicest Dear John letter I've gotten in a long time. And thanks for the donation. Much appreciated. I can't wait to write Dracula on my gas tank as my newest sponsor. Glad to have you aboard as Chief Executive in Charge of Transylvania!

The reference to Romanians was the ride report that OldPete called my attention to. A Romanian couple traveling to South America who entered Guatemala the back way to Tikal.

Look forward to reading about your future travels.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Old 12-05-2012, 10:37 PM   #790
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
So all is good considering.
Hope he is getting stool softeners along with the codeine because after three days he will be passing a hard ball.
Don't ask how I know. So he should be taking them too.

Best,
OldPete

Hi OldPete,

It turns out he is getting a morphine drip not codeine. He was the life of the party. Quite a nice ADVrider gathering here at the hospital tonight. Really great guys here. Plus all you guys out there who have donated to his paypal account. 1175.00 and rising. Will help with the hospital bill of 3200.00 plus all the other expenses Justin will be incurring.

Thanks a lot you guys. You're the best.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 12-06-2012, 06:53 AM   #791
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

It's a beautiful morning in El Salvador. Not a cloud in the sky. Had fun last night hanging out with everyone. And having fun with photos of Justin:

Here is the hospital Justin is staying at until he can crutch it to a plane home:

And here is Gringo parking down in the ambulance garage. I removed the gas tank on the Sherpa so I can haul it up to the second floor and have Justin sign it when he wakes up this morning:

And the open air lobby/atrium in the center of the hospital:

Not a bad place to hang out while your leg heals up. Only four patients in the entire hospital this morning according to the infermadora (nurse).

Here is the infermadora:

who keeps Justin's morphine drip humming.

Justin's Dad is flying into San Salvador this morning. Other family to follow.

more later……

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 12-06-2012, 07:00 AM   #792
High Desert Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
It's a beautiful morning in El Salvador. Not a cloud in the sky. Had fun last night hanging out with everyone. And having fun with photos of Justin:

more later……

Saludos,
Juanito
Heal quick, Justin! Anything in that Heiney bottle?
Old 12-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #793
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Not a bad place to hang out while your leg heals up. Only four patients in the entire hospital this morning according to the infermadora (nurse).

Here is the infermadora:

Saludos,
Juanito

Seems like you guys had quiet a party there last night , Justin is lucky to have you guys around . Once again , AdvRider proved to be a tremendously helpful tool for all of us out there , riding the world

BTW, nurse is enfermera . If the word "Infermedora" would exist, it would mean something like "sick maker"
Old 12-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #794
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
Seems like you guys had quiet a party there last night , Justin is lucky to have you guys around . Once again , AdvRider proved to be a tremendously helpful tool for all of us out there , riding the world

BTW, nurse is enfermera . If the word "Infermedora" would exist, it would mean something like "sick maker"
Got it. enfermera. Bueno.

Muchas gracias,
Juanito
Old 12-06-2012, 09:47 AM   #795
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Took the gas tank off the Sherpa and took it up to Room 3C at the hospital so Ed Zactamundo could sign it:

As well as Ulysses:

Kurt and Cory had signed it over in Flores when I saw them earlier this week. The guard wasn't sure about letting a full tank of gas into the hospital. I explained I just needed a signature and he said OK.

Cory has some artwork on his legs:

Really nice people here. I could live here, but it's time to hit the road and head over to San Salvador to visit Mario and see about a rear tire and O-ring for my oil filter cover. I think I'm heading out in a few hours with Brice.

More later…..

Saludos,
Juan Salvador
Closed Thread