Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 04:50 AM   #16
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Yeah that would be economically unfeasible for the DIY guy. I googled DIY vacuum chambers and saw quite a few setups. I then followed something very similar to Ebrabaek's which many other people did as well. If you have your 2 stage vacuum pump you are already on your way. I went to goodwill and got a cheap pressure cooker pot and then I had to buy the 1 inch plexiglass online, found a -30 "Hg gauge and will source the brass fittings and tubing from homedepot. All and all I will have about $150 in the whole setup including the purchase of my vacuum pump which I bought off of ebay.

I am pretty excited because the biggest issue I have had so far is the bubbles! It isn't fun when you do a great layup, take your time and everything is going smoothly and when you pop it out of the mold there are 2-3 pock marks from a residual air bubble that expanded to epic proportions. I could get around this by just applying another layer over the top but that is a pain in the butt and requires a substantial amount of sanding.

runnin4melife screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 06:47 AM
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:28 AM   #17
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,162
Sounds good - I have a vacuum pump that I use for car AC work that pulls down very low - I forget the spec. now,
and picked up a small chamber on eBay a while back to try to rescue a cell phone that went swimming ....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:51 AM   #18
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Yeah I wish I was closer to my father, he has all the HVAC equipment I would need for this but it is nice to have your own. With the chamber just make sure it can hold up to -30 "Hg. Most HVAC pumps go down to ~20 microns and you will never need that for this application, heck for AC units 350 microns is the target. You should definitely get into this stuff, it is a lot of fun!
Old 12-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #19
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
... You should definitely get into this stuff, it is a lot of fun!
I does sound like fun, I think I will ... as soon as I can clear out a few projects on the benches now!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:20 AM   #20
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

First test subject. If this one works out it will become the mold for the real deal!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Old 12-15-2012, 02:45 PM   #21
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Winner!

Seeing as I have not received any late entries today I opted to conclude the raffle a few hrs ahead of midnight. Congratulations to the winner, MotoRiley. I thank everyone for their interest in this raffle and I am sorry that I couldn't make one for everybody.