Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #4066
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,310
Anyone had the coolant recall done? Is the new coolant a different colour to the original?
Paulvt1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:50 AM   #4067
Andreazz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
Anyone had the coolant recall done? Is the new coolant a different colour to the original?
Yes, the new coolant is pink/yellowish colour.
Andreazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:30 AM   #4068
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,310
Thanks for that.
Paulvt1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:06 AM   #4069
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
adding to SM's sage advice, i'd suggest to those checking/adjusting the preload on their forks to make sure that each tube is set to about the same number of turns out/in from the other. when i adjusted the sag on mine one tube was three full rotations different than the other (from the dealer/factory).

have fun,
You won't enjoy the '13s with the Skyhook.

Their front preload adjusts only on the right leg. (And the damping adjusts only on the left!).

Old 12-05-2012, 05:38 AM   #4070
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,048
Ducati has been doing that for a while with several other bikes.

The 696 for example, one fork only has a spring, the other fork has a different length spring and damping (non-adjustable).
Old 12-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #4071
M0t0Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
If you have the Ohlins, be aware there is a fair amount of stiction in them when new and it takes some time before that goes away. Also note that your preload may be set too high, so you may want to back off on that a bit and see if that helps. Finally, spend some time going through the comp/rebound settings and you'll be rewarded with all of the goodness Ohlins has to offer.

If you don't have the Ohlins, you're on your own.....

-SM
Thanks for the advice. I do have the Ohlins my bike it's the S Touring. I have went through the adjusters. With 13k on the clock I have not found the plushness I am looking for. Maybe I should give it another look.
M0t0Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #4072
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0t0Rider View Post
Thanks for the advice. I do have the Ohlins my bike it's the S Touring. I have went through the adjusters. With 13k on the clock I have not found the plushness I am looking for. Maybe I should give it another look.
Something else to keep in mind, which you already likely know, is for each riding mode, you have 4 switchable (on-the-fly) suspension settings (with about a zillion configurations under each of them!). Mine are set up differently for each mode (Sport being the stiffest), and changing from Rider Only to Rider + Passenger + Luggage is dramatic. Check to make sure you are at the lowest setting (Rider Only), as this should provide the "softest" feel and response. I'm about 200lbs w/ gear, and as others have commented, the MTS12 isn't really sprung for riders of this weight, so I typically ride with my bike set to Rider + Passenger (3rd stiffest of the 4) and I get a very compliant ride that doesn't dive excessively under heavy braking. Amazing stuff those Ohlins.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #4073
aceonthebeach3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
With it being the beginning of December the 13's should be floating in. Curious to hear some reviews from real riders not magazine editiors. I am still up in air on MTS vs new DL1000 or a FZ1. I worry about 20k for MTS & it not being a reliable bike. Even under warranty my closest dealer is 2 hours 1 way. I am giving myself 6 months to decide/research. I did torture myself & ride down to duc dealer & he started it up & WOW it sounds... well like a Ducati. Very impressed even with stock pipes!!!!!!!
2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S touring, 2006 Yamaha R6 Track bike, 1999 Ducati 900 Super Sport, 1992 HD FLHS, 1997 HD Sportster 1200, 2004 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom, 2005 Honda Ruckus(scooter trash) being a inmate has perks=Dealer pricing on alien blood oh I meanAmsoilhttp://www.amsoil.com/a/synthetic-motorcycle-oilThe link shows retail pricing so you can check vs my dealer price quotes..PM me
aceonthebeach3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #4074
spartanman
regret minimizer

Oddometer: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceonthebeach3 View Post
With it being the beginning of December the 13's should be floating in. Curious to hear some reviews from real riders not magazine editiors. I am still up in air on MTS vs new DL1000 or a FZ1. I worry about 20k for MTS & it not being a reliable bike. Even under warranty my closest dealer is 2 hours 1 way. I am giving myself 6 months to decide/research. I did torture myself & ride down to duc dealer & he started it up & WOW it sounds... well like a Ducati. Very impressed even with stock pipes!!!!!!!
Don't test ride an MTS unless you really don't mind the two-hour slog to the dealer. I rode a 2010 when they first came out and vowed right then it would be my next bike. And so it is.
spartanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:29 AM   #4075
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,347
It is funny how much your (well, my ) perceptions change as you become better informed.

When I posted this picture of the 2013 Multi top triple:

I took it that the distribution of damping and preload adjustments to different fork legs was essentially a convenience decision: that there was a performance price to be paid but it was so minor as to be outweighed by production savings and ease of use.

But then I get my Jan 2013 issue of UK magazine Bike, and right up front on p 12 they have a report from dirt-enthusiast photographer Chippy Wood on Suzuki's latest 250 motocross racer, the '13 RM-Z250. The report tells us that unlike road bikes, these dirt racers still emerge year after year with a bunch of performance upgrades. And that among those:

"The front suspension is the latest Showa separate function front fork (SFF), which carries the damper in the left leg and the spring in the right."

So there you go: it is not just (cheap) Ducati.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:31 AM   #4076
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,048
Yeah, that just seems way out there! The axle has to be really strong I am thinking to keep it square, but in reality, when it is all bolted up, becomes one unit. Way over the top for me to grasp, something I would never have tried on my own for sure!
Old 12-06-2012, 06:43 AM   #4077
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker View Post
Yeah, that just seems way out there! The axle has to be really strong I am thinking to keep it square, but in reality, when it is all bolted up, becomes one unit. Way over the top for me to grasp, something I would never have tried on my own for sure!
It is something similar to what my ophthalmologist mentioned once, I could get a lasik surgery, correcting one eye for distance, the other for near view.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #4078
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Yep, m/x have been doing it for years. I have also had mtn bike forks with one side coil spring, one side air spring... Or scarier yet, the Lefty!

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #4079
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceonthebeach3 View Post
Rode a 2010 MTS12 and then got on a 13 that wasn't yet ready to ride, so can't say anything about the 13 underway. But the seat is easily 2" longer and WAY more comfortable. Maybe just because of the change to the seat, but the angle on my knees felt noticeably a bit more open too.
Wreckchecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:49 AM   #4080
aceonthebeach3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker View Post
Rode a 2010 MTS12 and then got on a 13 that wasn't yet ready to ride, so can't say anything about the 13 underway. But the seat is easily 2" longer and WAY more comfortable. Maybe just because of the change to the seat, but the angle on my knees felt noticeably a bit more open too.
If you have a super T why you lurking around on the MTS thread? How do you like the super T? I read your ride report very cool.
2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S touring, 2006 Yamaha R6 Track bike, 1999 Ducati 900 Super Sport, 1992 HD FLHS, 1997 HD Sportster 1200, 2004 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom, 2005 Honda Ruckus(scooter trash) being a inmate has perks=Dealer pricing on alien blood oh I meanAmsoilhttp://www.amsoil.com/a/synthetic-motorcycle-oilThe link shows retail pricing so you can check vs my dealer price quotes..PM me
aceonthebeach3 is offline   Reply With Quote