User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
TinCrow OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Manatees in the mist. S.F. to Florida Keys

Hello all, I will be riding from my house in San Francisco, and aiming for the keys in Florida. Its December and the Weather of course will be a factor. I am on a 09 Kawaski KLE 650 (Versys).

I would like to mix up the route as much as possible for the round trip, but weather is the deciding factor. Any input would be appreciated. I plan on getting across the first half at a quick pace and spending my time wandering more of the east side of the south. Ill probably take the 40 through to Albuquerque and drop down into Lubbock TX, to visit my sister,and then from there? Ill start the wander, and hopefully end up swimming with a Manatee in a brackish water way somewhere in Florida?

Im also looking on the tent space thread for places to catch some sleep along the way. I do not need much, a dry place to lay my sleeping bag and that's it. So if you are on the road between California and Florida and you've got space, let me know. I look forward to meeting new folks along the way. Gregory
TinCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 14,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCrow View Post
Hello all, I will be riding from my house in San Francisco, and aiming for the keys in Florida. Its December and the Weather of course will be a factor. I am on a 09 Kawaski KLE 650 (Versys).

I would like to mix up the route as much as possible for the round trip, but weather is the deciding factor. Any input would be appreciated. I plan on getting across the first half at a quick pace and spending my time wandering more of the east side of the south. Ill probably take the 40 through to Albuquerque and drop down into Lubbock TX, to visit my sister,and then from there? Ill start the wander, and hopefully end up swimming with a Manatee in a brackish water way somewhere in Florida?

Im also looking on the tent space thread for places to catch some sleep along the way. I do not need much, a dry place to lay my sleeping bag and that's it. So if you are on the road between California and Florida and you've got space, let me know. I look forward to meeting new folks along the way. Gregory
this will get moved to trip planning, but in the regionals thread there are a few prolific guys there that have the manatee area of florida pretty well covered....

otherwise, Crystal River FL will have all you want for swimming with the manatees,,,,Three Sister's spring is the best IMO
freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
TinCrow OP
Adventurer

Im ready to ride. I wanted to leave this morning, but I awoke to crazy rain here in San Francisco. It poured last night and through the morning.

The skies have cleared and the winds are calm. I'm planning on leaving at dawn. Ill be heading for Kingman, Az. or somewhere near there. If any one has a couch or floor for me to lay my sleeping bag, that would be great.

This little rebel took a fall during the wind storm. I stopped and got her back on her wheels.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,597
Good luck, Greg...That storm hammered us here in the East Bay. Hope you can get on the road tomorrow? I'm headed south and a bit east myself in about 4 weeks--until I hit the Pacific Ocean at the tip of Baja. No manatees there, but I look forward to reading about your trip. Say hi to the prairie dogs in Lubbock.

Next Trip: the Nevada-Utah-Arizona 3 step (hoping, DingWeed)...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:48 AM   #5
toypro1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I'm in - I would like to do the same thing.
GL 1800
1200s Bandit sold
DRZ 400E Plated sold
FJ 1200 gave to son
toypro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
TinCrow OP
Adventurer

San Francisco, Ca. - Flagstaff, Az. (750+ miles, 13hs)
Today started at the break of dawn, on the beach in San Francisco. I watched the moon slowly sink towards the sea, and then I turned to the East and rode into the sunrise. What a great day. I stayed dry, got to get off the beaten path a couple of times in the desert, and I made it safely into Flagstaff. The moon was on the rise, in a sharp winter glow as I rode through the mountains finishing today's ride. It was a beautiful and fitting end to the day.

The familiar routes seemed different today. Its not just another weekend ride, this time I get to keep going East until I run out of America. I am super excited to be riding! This years goal is a three part deal.
#1 Motorcycle ride across America, 7,000 miles. I love it!
#2 Hug a Manatee. The Manatee is my power animal?
#3 Ride a ridiculous distance to see a Rock and Roll show. Hot Chip and Yeasayer will take me on a musical adventure to the Bahamas and Jamaica.

So that's the plan, well see how it goes. Ill take it one day at a time.
I am hoping to meet the good people of America face to face and in their back yards. I was amazed at the hospitality I was shown by the people of Mexico, never before has a nation of strangers offered me their hearts and homes in such a beautiful way.
I'm looking for the good side of America. Its out there, I just need to approach it in the right way. For instance, I learned in mexico you can generally walk up to someone in a small town, strike up a conversation and they will offer you a place to stay for the evening. Ive tried it a couple times here in the states and its a little different. In America, its better to e-mail first. Folks have been offering me places all over the U.S. I start tomorrow in Albuquerque. Terri B. and her 2 teen age sons are opening their home to me. They have invited me to dinner and offered a couch to sleep on and a hot shower and coffee for the morning. I love Americans, they're cool.

Coffee break, near Boron, Ca.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
FAW3
Old wanderer

Oddometer: 422
Good luck on your trip...

1: On the way close to I10...might swing by Panama City...St. Andrews State Park has nice tent sites, snorkle right from beach.

2: Your Manatee plans seem somewhat vague. Been there and done that so for what it's worth: I second: Crystal River (city and river name) on the West coast above Tampa offers "crystal clear" water, manatees, a couple of dive/boat shops and motels all clustered in a 2 mile area around the springs of orgin for the river which is often termed "Kings Bay". This is spring fed fresh water "cold"...you will be wanting to rent a wet suit.

Good bar, great food: Crackers...on the north side of the bay at Crystal River.

FAW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
CurDog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Big Day 1

That was a big start to your ride but it sounds like day 1 went off well. It sounds like you will take it a little easier over the next 2 days (Albuquerque and then Lubbock.)

I have to say that you have surprised me with the idea of swimming with the manatees. I have lived in Florida for over 25 years now. I am a transplant from the Pacific NW... Seattle. Near where I live, is a popular viewing area for manatees... Blue Springs State Park. We have gone there many times to show visiting family or friends the manatees. But when I checked it out, they do not allow you to swim with them. As a matter of fact, I learned that only in the Crystal River area is this possible. This definitely has piqued my curiosity... do you have a particular guide company or spot in mind? There are a number of them listed on the internet.

Depending on when you plan to arrive in Florida, maybe I could join you for the "swim." Crystal River is straight west of Daytona Beach, about a 2 1/2 hour ride. Whether that would work or not, you are welcome to stop by our home, either coming or going, for a place to stay and a decent meal. Feel free to PM me with any details.

CurDog
CurDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:29 AM   #9
TinCrow OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAW3 View Post
Good luck on your trip...

Your Manatee plans seem somewhat vague. Been there and done that so for what it's worth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurDog View Post

I have to say that you have surprised me with the idea of swimming with the manatees.

Depending on when you plan to arrive in Florida, maybe I could join you for the "swim." Crystal River is straight west of Daytona Beach, about a 2 1/2 hour ride. Whether that would work or not, you are welcome to stop by our home, either coming or going, for a place to stay and a decent meal. Feel free to PM me with any details.

CurDog
Vague plans indeed. I have heard everything from "No touching or swimming" to "They are everywhere, jump on in". Either way ill approach the situation with respect.
Ill get in touch with you as I get closer to the Manatee.

Yesterday was another nice ride. Highway 40 from Flagstaff to Albuquerque was beautiful. Very straight and fast, but lots of chances to wander off the beaten path. I stopped at the Petrified Forest, Painted Desert, and a few dirt roads that led hear and there?

Im off to Lubbock today. Clear skies and cold temps.

Somewhere near Meteor Crater, AZ.

Somewhere near Meteor Crater, Az

Standing on the corner in Winslow Arizona.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #10
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,597
...there's a girl my lord in a flatbed Ford...

(I can SEE her in the window )

Next Trip: the Nevada-Utah-Arizona 3 step (hoping, DingWeed)...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #11
TinCrow OP
Adventurer

Its hard to tell, but shes slowin down to take a look at me. (I had to do it)
Old 12-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #12
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Flatbed?

I always heard that as flathead Ford. Like a model B coupe. Women driving flatbeds often look a bit like their fellow teamsters.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:12 AM   #13
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,188
so, a search of multiple lyrics websites has revealed the Eagles version and the Travis Tritt remake, all have the line as 'flat-bed ford'. I would picture this as a farm type Ford work truck, not a flatbed semi tractor trailer.......

now back to the posting.........when you gettin to south FLA?
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #14
pulco
Ready to Ride

Oddometer: 33
I'll be reading along. I plan to ride with the wife from Houston to Tampa after Christmas, so may be taking some of the same roads.

Be careful of your manatee plan:

[Florida] makes it illegal to "annoy, molest, harass or disturb" the endangered aquatic mammals, whose survival is imperiled by manmade threats, including boating collisions. Violations are considered a second-degree misdemeanor.
http://news.yahoo.com/florida-woman-...055926479.html

But best of luck and enjoy the trip.
pulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #15
TinCrow OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulco;20190374
Be careful of your manatee plan:

[Florida
makes it illegal to "annoy, molest, harass or disturb" the endangered aquatic mammals, whose survival is imperiled by manmade threats, including boating collisions. Violations are considered a second-degree misdemeanor.
http://news.yahoo.com/florida-woman-...055926479.html

But best of luck and enjoy the trip.
Ive read this story. That lady sounds like a nut. No Manatee riding for me.