User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 01:21 AM   #5836
norseV4force
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Whilst I have the utmost sympathy

for all those in NY and the surrounding areas that have been affected by Sandy please don't forget the other nations that have been turned upside down by this disaster.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...aribbean-media

Good luck to everyone who has been affected by this and fingers crossed for a full recovery by all nations.
norseV4force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #5837
McDOPE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Amen...

[
This journey has exposed some raw emotions and shortcomings but yet has empowered me with a resolve to find the solution to any problem that crosses my path.

LDF[/QUOTE]

CHEERS TO THIS SENTIMENT....Today I rode with a 9 year old on a ranch in Texas....He nearly kicked my butt. Before we rode he spent nearly an hour trying to get his bike started....he never gave up and I was thinking about the resolve of this young man as I read your piece. Thanks LDF
Old 11-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #5838
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Donna Fugata View Post
Reflecting upon the things I am thankful for I've realized the significance the mobius trip has played in my life over the last five years. Ive been so blessed to have explored this country in ways that the majority of Americans will never have the opportunity to experience.

This journey has exposed some raw emotions and shortcomings but yet has empowered me with a resolve to find the solution to any problem that crosses my path.

I am so grateful to the motorcycle adventure community, both NYC local and afar, that have provided us extordinary support along the way.

My heartfelt thank you to the love of my life that embraced this endeavor, had unlimited patience, and provided the support to explore this two wheel journey together.

Happy Thanksgiving to an amazing community that I'm so grateful to be a part of.

LDF
Thanks for your exceptionally adventurous spirit and the grace including others on the road with you. I enjoyed my 3 days of travelling with you. - David
Alaska Trip Report Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #5839
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
New England Journal of Medicine editorial regarding Bellevue Hospital and Sandy. Click on thumbnails to link to legible images if you're interested.
Thanks for sharing this intermission backstory. Contingency plans are only as good as the weakest link. End of the day survival is all about the water (flushing toilets in this case).

Appropriately, I read this editorial to my mom while waiting in a surgery pre-op room at Providence hospital. I prefixed the narrative with, we're 400ft above sea level. Then thinking to myself about the pressure building cascadia subduction zone off our NW coast .

I truly believe that the experiences and life lessons we receive on these multi-day dual-sport rides, really help keep the day to day life things in perspective.

thanks to all on this thread for sharing your life lessons.
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:06 PM   #5840
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #5841
McDOPE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
New Meaning

Yo Scott,
Your photo here lends new meaning to being "IN THE WEEDS".....enough sage to season a world of Thanksgiving dinners.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #5842
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Doc Is nicely Camoflaged in there!!!

Scott

DingWeed screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 04:07 PM
DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:43 AM   #5843
RenoDeano
High Desert Drifter

Oddometer: 98
Dunn Ridge Trail

Hey, Doc is Francine running a Trials tire on Blue? Reno Deano

Plated 2009 Husaberg FE 570, Plated 2001 DRZ 400E; 2006 DR650;1972 Yamaha CT2, 2007 400 & 800 CanAm Outlander.

Member of the Dust Devils MC of Reno Nevada. Home of the annual Ride Reno 200 Dual Sport Ride.

http://www.dustdevilsmc.com/forum/index.php
RenoDeano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #5844
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,349

Sept 15th Saturday. I normally don't cook at campsites so David heated some water and shared some oatmeal packets. It was fairly early when we got on the road this morning; you can see here that the light had a reddish tinge to it yet.

So we're checking out the Map, Francine is waiting for us. The road is a forest service track with fences on either side. Usually that means there is an easement of some sort and the ranchers are suppose to keep the track clear between the fences. I assume this easement is probably access for the forest service land further up the mountain. We kept going up the road and come around the bend to a bit of a hill, with rocks all over it. Big Dog has already gone ahead, so I put my head down, lean forward over the handle bars, concentrate on the track, and hit the throttle.

I stopped about here. lol. The road was getting more challanging and narrow, so I wanted to check things out on foot. When I stopped the bike, I saw Mark standing down on the road back there waving. I quickly looked down at my GPS and realized I was off the track. I was beginning to wonder if this trail was "big bike friendly" and perhaps I'd help the group out by routing around and not forcing them to drag a big bike through these rocks.

Anyway, I gave Mark the thumbs up to let him know I was okay and set about to turn The Pig around. It doesn't turn around that easy in the best of conditions and this was not the best of conditions. After a bit of grunting and a few choice words about excessive weight gain, I had The Pig pointed back down the trail. I figured it was a good time to snap these pics of the area.

Good think I had the anti-hassle tassels on the bike! ;-) With the bike turned around, it was just a matter of riding down the hill to where I took the wrong turn. Pretty soon the trail was getting better and we ended up riding down a road to Parkman, (a railroad siding) to jump onto to our next road back to the mountains.

I put the worries of the big bike behind me for the time being.

Near Parkman, we hit a county road going northwest. It was a fast sweeping road that followed the creeks and landscape as it traveled over the countryside. For those that know the area, this was now the Little Bighorn drainage. Yes, that Little Bighorn. It was a beautiful morning for riding and along the hillsides, some signs of scoria peeked out among the grass. I had to stop and take this picture.

A couple times this morning we had met cattle in the road as it was time to take the herds down off the summer pasture. Further northwest of the area this picture was taken; we ended up waiting at a tee in the road as a pair of loaded bull racks lumbered past. Here the road had gotten decidedly narrower, and I think we were in Montana, Crow Country at this point. I wasn’t sure what kind of reception we would get if we met someone out here.

We pushed on up the road the bull racks came down, and about two miles down the road came to the point where this little two track dived off the road. We waited a bit so all five of us would make the turn. A mile or so further up the road, I saw a pickup and horse trailer coming probably the owners of the cows in the bull racks, so I suggested we should probably keep moving.

We headed out across the prairie on this two track, which had a fair amount of traffic in the past. The view from this point as we climbed up above the creek with the road was pretty spectacular.

It was here that the rocks for “Marble Quarry” road started. For me this was a pretty serious challenge as The Pig was a hand full on the loose baby head rocks. I didn’t get a picture of this area. I did go down once pretty hard and cracked my cases in a couple more places, and broke the rear blinker light lens. That seemed to be all the damage, so I counted myself lucky. With Scott and Dave’s help got The Pig up right and continued up the road.

Eventually the rocks quick and we rode along this very nice two track through the highlands of the Big Horn Mountains. As we drove along we would see cliffs, drainages, canyons and rocky knobs that were the landscape of this highland area. Very Amazing.

Big Dog stops a bit for a drink...

... and then heads off to the horizon.

The roads got bigger has we closed in on Burgess Junction. It’s pretty cool to see two curve signs in one picture, the roads were fast and graded, perhaps with a touch too much gravel.

We ended up at Burgess Junction, our fuel and resupply point. Dave was all go-go and I was all relieved I made it through this far and relaxing. Eventually we were all on the same page, as I realized the best campsites were a ways down the road. I needed water badly with the altitude and the energy expended in the climb over the rocks. Also I wanted some energy bars as I could feel myself lagging a bit. Also we met Steve and his R1200GS and incorporated him into the caravan. I hoped the roads would be better from here on, as his bike was larger than The Pig.

We geared back up, packed the mules, and headed on down the road to the south. According to the map at Burgess Junction, there were a couple of forest service campsites down the road, but there were cryptic messages about “closed for the season”, “no services” and all that jazz. We wanted a chance to check them out a bit and chose a second or third site if needed.

Here at altitude the foliage color was in full swing.

The views on the mountains along the road were spectacular.

Some of the roads were a little challanging for the the big bikes and a couple water crossings but not bad on the whole, and we carried on down the road. I think bow hunting season was going on, and there were quiet a lot of RV trailers people had brought up to camp in for the season.

We made it to the Medicine Lodge Lake and Medicine Lodge campground was right there beside it. It was after the season and no running water or services so it was free “primitive” camping. There weren’t many people there so we took one of the larger double sites. With six bikes and five tents it was plenty roomy for us.

We quickly set about making camp. The tents were out, the gear stowed, and we were working on dinner and firewood. Mark got out his camp saw and he and Steve worked on some firewood.

Scott, AKA Dingweeds, got out the camcorder in case something funny happend.

The campsite was a newer one. They had a regular picnic tables, but also these food prep tables which I assume might be for fish or other game.

Mark and Steve are done making bigger sticks into little sticks.

Dave is getting the "real camera" out in preperation for sunset over the lake next to the campsite.

Francine had some food out on the camp stove and was waiting for folks to gather up.

It was a great evening and we were glad to be able to have fire. Dave and Francine opened up their bags and pulled out cheese and sausage for an appetizer, and then some rice and food for the main course. We were able to wash up the dishes in the lake and there was a nicely lit outhouse to use just up the path. It was a very nice campground.

Pretty soon we were dropping off and heading to our tents for bed.
Alaska Trip Report Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #5845
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,500
Day 8----or 11???

Sorry-----------I've been our riding again-------some butthole e-mailed me and said he had the gps coordinates of a very remote natural spring in Missouri that I hadn't been to. I said "Oh Yeah---what's the name of it. He said "Stupid Dog Spring".
I wasn't sure if he was yankin' my chain or not-----so off I went----------took me 3 days to go the 180 straight line miles to the spring---but me and my buddy Bash3R found it. And then it took me a few days to get home-------but I guess that's all another story-------so back to this. one.

It was Day 8 for the Mobius crew-------but Day 11 for me and the Dingleweeds as we had done a little riding before joining the Dr. and LDF.

Manchester to Medicine Lodge Campground in Wyoming
Yesterday we had crossed into Wyoming and headed South towards Colorado.

Poor ole' Francine---had to wait and wait for us men to get ourselves going.

Our route headed North a bit and we actually got back into Montana and on the Crow Indian Reservation.
Then we turned back South into Wyoming towards Colorado--which would take us a few days.

The climbing in here was extremely rutted, rocky and difficult.
I do remember Dave on the BMW800GS wondering if he should bail out here---not knowing his riding ability I wondered what he'd do.
He soldiered on and I found out real quick he was a better rider than I was as he ate this stuff up.

The Dingleweeds

This picture just blows me away-------I guess they don't like the road less traveled and took the easy way.
I just found it real odd that these wild horses were running down the road.

It was a stamped I'm tellin' ya'

We were on a very primitive road here and had to get thru this cattle drive.
I don't know what everyone else was thinking---but I'm thinkin' we were running into private property and these cattle drivers would stop us.
Not so-----it was a public road------if you want to call it that. The terrain would soon get brutal----and brutally fun.

The one gal sported a tube top, ball cap and pony tail instead of the traditional cowboy hat.
Pretty interesting actually----as she was as cute as a bugs ear

We dove down into this valley into the complete unknown------none of us had ever heard about anybody riding thru here and we
still pondered the private property thing and could see from here if we continued on our path we'd have to climb out of the valley.

We rode across the rutted up cattle path for miles and started a gentle climb.

Maybe Dave had an issue riding up this----not sure.

Dr. Rock stopped to take a picture early on in the climb out of the valley.
I was leading and it got really tough-------I mean really tough and I hoped I never got stopped as I thought I'd never get gong again.
I kept the WR250R pulling up the hill in first gear almost coming to a stop many times.

I was the first to get to the summit and it was pretty warm---more from the physical exertion than anything.
Like I said it was a very tough climb and a lot of luck had to be with you to make it unscathed------I wasn't good----I was lucky.

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #5846
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

More Day 8 from BigDogs perspective

I waited up there a long time before finally Scott almost gets to me. What's behind him was a steep brutal loose rock climb.

Francine comes up-------but no bike.
Dr. Rock had to help ride her bike a bit-----I wish I'd let him ride mine------I was exhausted.

We sat here in the shade----had a snack----lot's of water and felt so good at what we had just conqered.

You go girl-------as they say !!!!!
I'm thinkin' in here Dr. Rock had a waypoint called "Little Dicey".
Probably a trail that was barely visible on his research with Google Earth.
Like I said-------we have never heard of anybody riding thru here. I'm sure they have--but very few.

That is Dave on the BMW.

Man this was awesome.
We were having a hoot in here as the riding eased up a bit.
I think the temperature was bout 75° if I remember right-----it only got hot for us in difficult terrain.
My new KLIM Badlands Pro Jacket was perfect for this ride. It vented very well----good thing as I could never take if off riding
as I would have no armor.

Besides the route to follow-----Dr. Rock had nice little handy waypoints to help you alng the way.
I had a route-----the purple line with navigation distances.
I had a track log---the green line in case I got off the route.
And the handy waypoints.

The Waypoint summit was just a few miles south of the Montana border on Marble Quarry road--which most wouldn't call a road.

I'm bettin' this was the summit.

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
Old 12-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #5847
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

More Day 8

Dr. Rock had been in contact with Steve (pictured) to meet and join our group in Burgess where we also got snacks and gas.
I think he was from Oregon and we had no idea what he was riding till we got there.
He was on a BMW1200GS------ a bike twice as heavy and with a motor 4 times bigger than me and dingweeds.
How would Steve fair on this ride ????

Me, Steve and Dr. Rock poked around on one of those paper map thingy's a bit.

Steves 1200GS in the center and Daves 800GS back farther on the trail

As I had been leading I had to go into another mode when Steve joined us-----as before I didn't have to wait at every turn as all riders had
the navigation and I would make sure and gather riders up after maybe 10 miles of riding in easy stuff----or sooner if it was technical hard riding.
Now I had to stop and wait at every single turn to make sure Steve was till on track as he didn't have the navigation at all.
Hey---I'm retired------no hurry.

This crossing here was easy-----but everyone wondered why I took the line Steve is taking thru the deeper water instead of the line to
the left in the shallow. See those conrete things ????? If you weren't careful your front wheel could get in between them in a deep rut
and that wouldn't be pretty.

A lot of the riding today was in the BigHorn National Forest and we got a hint of the turning Aspens.
Later it would get full on.

Each day we had no idea of where we'd end up-------but earlier saw Medicine Lodge Lake Campfround in the gps and maps and
hoped to find it and camp there-----------I was running way out front and found the campground and scoped out an extra big camp spot
and ran back out to the dirt road to bring everybody into the spot. We had the entire campground to ourselves.
And the best part-------we could legally have a campfire.

I had been very eager to demonstrate my new wood saw----the "Sven Saw".
Yeh----keep going Steve---your gettin' the hang of it.
"You have to cuss it Steve"------he says "I don't cuss"
I said---"you keep sawing and you'll be cussin' in no time".

Don't stop yet-----your gettin' the hang of it.

I think somebody said------"it's your saw---you use it"
Ok--get out of the way I'll show you how this works.
We had a hoot cuttin firewood and took turns with the saw.
Everyone was amazed how quick and easy it would cut thru an 8" log.

The sun went down as it always does--what a beautiful place.
The camping was posted free---as the season had ended for most folks.
One of my little secrets is too travel after it's cooled off for the summer.
Most people go hide in their houses and you've got the best places all to your self.

It got cool that night---but all was well with a wood campfire.
A little warmer than "Campfire Substitute".

Man---I'm gettin' tired of carrying this chair around.

Heck my dog has a better chair than I do------thinks he's the "BigDog"

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
Old 12-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #5848
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Little Dog----JoJo

My wife just brought up the fact that there's more pictures of my dog JoJo than her on AdvRider.

So here she is near Cinnamon Pass, Colorado.

Ain't she cute.
I never could afford a Hummer---but I had a Bummer
It's a redneck thing.

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
Old 12-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #5849
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 5,879
Thanks Mark!
Old 12-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #5850
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear View Post
Thanks Mark!
Hey Joe---it was the least I could do !!!
KTM 690 Enduro 2014