Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #8056
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt2Street View Post
Anybody out there know the specs of the stock handlebars? I want to upgrade to get better control offroad. I don't have an owners manual so I can't just look it up..Great bike and great deal just urks me he didnt have it. I'll be buying that first, I suppose.
Don't know that the specs will be in the owner's manual, but you should be able to take some measurements and find a ProTaper SE (Seven-Eights, as in 7/8" diameter) that works. You can view/download a non-printing pdf version of the owner's manual by going here:
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/se...t_manuals.aspx

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:14 AM   #8057
kewlbyme
Occasional Partaker

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Anybody out there know the specs of the stock handlebars? I want to upgrade to get better control offroad. I don't have an owners manual so I can't just look it up..Great bike and great deal just urks me he didnt have it. I'll be buying that first, I suppose.
I really like these.

Tusk Mini High Bend Bars - Awesome, make standing excellent. Ordered Here

Tusk Hand Guards - Excellent product! Ordered HERE

Progrip 714 Grips - Ordered HERE . They are good. I also like Progrip 737's, found HERE , which I have used many times and might actually prefer.

Write up and pictures for bars and guards in THIS thread. I am DSCR over there.

Larger pegs from DMO - Pricey but no alternative and an excellent product. Ordered HERE

These made off road MUCH better.

I like'em a lot.
2002 KLR 703.5 - Sold
1999 Valkyrie IS - Sold

kewlbyme screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 02:26 AM
kewlbyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #8058
gbacque
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
>

The hard part on the carb is the f'n screws holding the float bowl on. Odds are you will strip a screw,
(I did)... and will need a dremel tool to grind the head off the screw. When you put it back together,
buy some stainless allen head screws hold the float bowl on. Note that 1 of the screws is a bit longer
than the others, it holds a wire bracket.

Once the bolts are off the carb, the jet conversion/cleaning whatever is very simple.
That is because there are no phillips screws on Japanese bikes. They use JIS screws.

Very similar but if you use use a phillips screw driver on the JIS screw you can see from the image above that it would not seat all the way to the bottom. If you grip just the lip of the fastener then it will strip out very easily. An undersized phillips fits much better but then you are giving up surface area and still risk stripping it. Finding a quality JIS screwdriver in the states can be a bit of a challenge. For some reasons most places don't carry them. So you might need to order it online.

On that bowl though, they have pan heads on them so there is just enough meat to grab that thing with some vice grips.
gbacque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #8059
greasespot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Wheels?

Hey, which wheels are direct bolt-ons to the xt? Someone mentioned TTR225 wheels. True? Any others?

TIA,

Greasespot
greasespot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #8060
DominoTree
EX250 Warrior

Oddometer: 95
Any options for a center stand since it looks like Cigar Mike is out of the game?

2006 Yamaha XT225
Gone but not forgotten:
1990 Kawasaki ZX6D, 1990 Honda VFR750F, 2008 Kawasaki EX250J, 2005 BMW F650GS (Single)
DominoTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #8061
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasespot View Post
Hey, which wheels are direct bolt-ons to the xt? Someone mentioned TTR225 wheels. True? Any others?

TIA,

Greasespot
My research indicates that the ttr225 wheel can be bolted on, but you need the ttr brake assembly also, and will have to modify it slightly. The ttr hub is larger in diameter, so the rear brake is not a direct swap. I have not confirmed this with the parts in hand, just via parts fiche and google searches.

My rear wheel is currently disassembled. I have ordered a new rim, and a set of thicker straight gauge spokes. I considered switching to a ttr wheel, but I can get the spokes and rim for $130 less, and I don't mind lacing and truing up the wheel myself.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #8062
KamperBob
Recreation Engineer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
This bike is pretty much perfect IMHO stock, apart from farkles. To each their own.
+1

My 2006 still runs great with stock tuning. Going on 28k miles. Haven't been above 10,000' yet. I'm currently at -200' (Death Valley). Judging from posts here I must be lucky not to have a problem that needs fixing. Yamaha got mine right anyway.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #8063
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasespot View Post

TIA,

Greasespot
I own a ttr225 wheel that I use on my xt. It requires some mods discussed here:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...78968&page=478
Post #7168
The big brake is
Easy, fast swap.
FWIW, I got my wheel for under $120 WITH a tire and tube, make sure you get the brake assembly, however. I love having two wheels. The hard part is the drilling of the sprocket, but it isn't too bad for someone w/ a drill press.
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #8064
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

Oddometer: 865
Any chance that you have a pic of the TTR backing plate?

Preferably unmounted.

The same 110/130 swap can be done to the TW. Slightly different hardware, but the backing plate is key.

Help a cousin out.

Lizrdbrth screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 02:47 PM
Lizrdbrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #8065
GlennF33
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by DominoTree View Post
Any options for a center stand since it looks like Cigar Mike is out of the game?
I have one of the last ones he made. I haven't put it on yet as I can raise my bike on a platform floor jack to do any service requiring elevation. Nice workmanship. I would like to sell it.
GlennF33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #8066
Dirt2Street
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlbyme View Post
I really like these.

Tusk Mini High Bend Bars - Awesome, make standing excellent. Ordered Here

These made off road MUCH better.

I like'em a lot.
So 7/8 is what you went with? I'm looking at renthals right now because I'm a young kid, (17) so lets face it, this thing will be layed down a time or two..hopefully not anytime soon though. :l Dreading that day. But anyways, I need something that'll hold up and these renthals i'm looking at are on sale and are a REALLY good deal for the brand. All my friends, even a few that race(d) MX had and have Renthal and say they're the best..
How do the tusks do on pavement? I'm up for suggestions.. All
Old 12-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #8067
kewlbyme
Occasional Partaker

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
So 7/8 is what you went with? I'm looking at renthals right now because I'm a young kid, (17) so lets face it, this thing will be layed down a time or two..hopefully not anytime soon though. :l Dreading that day. But anyways, I need something that'll hold up and these renthals i'm looking at are on sale and are a REALLY good deal for the brand. All my friends, even a few that race(d) MX had and have Renthal and say they're the best..
How do the tusks do on pavement? I'm up for suggestions.. All
7/8 is standard size. If you go with the 1 1/8 bars dont forget the adapter. They are only thicker at the center clamping area. They too, are 7/8 at the grips. I went with standard 7/8. My son in law dumped the bike and wacked the guards pretty hard and twisted the forks. The bars were unmolested.

The Tusk is great on the road or off. My second XT was acquired with a Renthal bar and risers. They are fine too, just wider. The Renthal/riser combo raises the height about the same as the Tusk Mini High's. I have Moose guards on the Renthals.

I personally like the Tusk Mini High Bend better because of the inherent height without risers. The Renthals are fine bars regardless.

I show pictures of both in the thread I posted above.
2002 KLR 703.5 - Sold
1999 Valkyrie IS - Sold
kewlbyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #8068
Roadrunner
(Negativus Supersonicus)

Oddometer: 22,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
You are hanging out in the wrong place

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403156
Wow! All this time I was in here, because when I joined there was no 250 thread.

Thank you!

"System change is not for the conceptually or interpersonally fainthearted." - Sarason
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #8069
inroads
Wimberley,Texas

Oddometer: 205
Anyone here who could shed some light on my shock conversion? I was under the impression that the TTR 225/230 rear shock would bolt onto the 225. I just received my shock off Ebay and there are 2 things that are different.
The bottom yoke that bolts to the swingarm is a lot more narrow than the 225.2nd problem is the top mounting bolt is smaller than the 225. Any help appreciated!
inroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #8070
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by inroads View Post
Anyone here who could shed some light on my shock conversion? I was under the impression that the TTR 225/230 rear shock would bolt onto the 225. I just received my shock off Ebay and there are 2 things that are different.
The bottom yoke that bolts to the swingarm is a lot more narrow than the 225.2nd problem is the top mounting bolt is smaller than the 225. Any help appreciated!
Can't say the the 235 and 230 shock are the same. But the TTR225 is a 100% bolt up match with the XT225. I have done this swap myself.
Either the TTR 225 and 230 are different or you got the wrong shock.